Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get a good price on a Bluestar RNB. Is there price fixing?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 10:21

Sorry my other post wasn't working and didn't seem to appear, so I did this one. Can't delete it apparently now.

This post was edited by needinfo1 on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 10:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get a good price on a Bluestar RNB. Is there price fix

Not sure, but I think there may be fixed pricing. I recently ordered a 36"RNB, and the two quotes I received from different dealers were exactly to the dollar. Although, you might inquire about event promos. I attended a demo and enjoyed a good stir fry lunch, and got the choice of colored range or colored knobs, (each about a $300 upgrade) at no additional charge.

o

Some manufacturers will not allow their products to be discounted typically (see Miele), with floor and discontinued models being the exception. Sometimes, retailers will offer these at a "below-line" discount, which is what I received on a 36" RNB from my local retailer.

Color is supposed to be extra, but from what I gather, you should be able to get it for free just by contacting the demo rep. And I thought starting in 2011 that colors were free of charge on RNB models anyway. Bottom line...don't pay for color.

It never hurts to ask each retailer the best price they can offer. You have nothing to lose.

o

I got a quote from a local store, then called an online store. I did this three times, and they kept beating each other's price. I will say that I was buying many other appliances at the same time, so that helped the price. I got the BS 36" 6 burner rangetop for $1k less than the original price. It could be that they took a loss on it because I was buying so much. They said since the other company went below the listed price then they can do it also. So...price fixing for sure.

o

So, my suspicions were correct. I assume you must live in the area where the online store could deliver. I think this is also another issue in that they have areas they are restricted to for delivery.

On another note, are you happy you went with the Bluestar?

o

I bought a store demo model on eBay. It works great and I got it for over a thousand less than what the local stores wanted. I've had it installed for about 9 months now and no problems. The only "blemishes" are some scratches in the stainless.

o

JPRain--

Did you negotiate at all with the e-Bay seller, or did you just pay his asking price?

o

No the online dealer I was dealing with had free shipping and was not local. The local (2 hrs away) store charged $120.00 for delivery, but still came out as the lowest bid.

We ordered it last Friday so don't know when it will get here. Now to find a vent hood I can afford.

o

No I didn't negotiate. If I remember right I paid $3400 including shipping for a red RNB 30 inch. Maybe I could have saved even more but the price seemed reasonable and I needed to get it locked in for cabinet planning purposes.

o

You guys did well with your pricing. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

o

Now I just need a good deal on a rear venting vent hood. I can't find one with LED lights, baffles, 42", under cabinet, stainless steel. Wish me luck on that!

o

Peke - did your $200 shipping include installation?

I've been quoted $500 from our dealer for delivery (from their shop, 20 miles from us), assembly if required (we may be getting the tall backsplash with the shelf), and installation. Not hook-up - that has to be done by a gas pro, apparently.

I reckon $500 is steep, but the dealer has no competition within 500 miles, unfortunately for us.

o

Wow! That is a lot of money. What does installation mean if they won't do the hook up? Is that changing gas piping or electrical?

o

Neither - it's a new addition to an old house.

It's apparently the law here (Canada) that gas appliances are hooked up to the gas line by a certified technician.

So, I tend to agree; not sure what value "I" get from giving them $500. My suspicion is that it's a nifty way of lining their pockets a little more generously, given Bluestar seems to hold firm on their pricing...

o

You are confusing "price fixing" with minimum advertised pricing. A vendor has the right to expect its resellers to charge a certain price. They do not have the right to collude within the industry to make sure all there competitors do the same. Price fixing requires collusion.

-Stooxie

o

Eh, stooxie, by "you," do you mean me? If so, my apologies - I didn't mean to infer that Bluestar are price-fixing when I wrote "Bluestar seems to hold firm on their pricing."

Nor do I mean that Bluestar retailers pre-agree their prices - that would be impossible in my area, where there's only one retailer for 500+ miles.

(That only happens between gas stations, lol)

o

why_not_me, no, it was more of a "you" in general. This comes up about once a month around here, as if Company X is eeevville because they have employees and bills to pay.

"Nice things cost money." -- Liam Neeson playing Oskar Schinlder in Schindler's List.

-Stooxie

o

Yes, I've noticed - it's a perennial grumble.

It is mildly curious that almost no retailer posts their Bluestar prices onine (A J Madison et al; the only ones I've seen are at Costco.ca), though, which is perhaps what precipitated this discussion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here