Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccurlygirl

Help create my refrigerator list

dccurlygirl
9 years ago

My search for a new refrigerator is just beginning, yet I've found very few refrigerators that meet my wish list, which includes:

Top fridge
Bottom freezer
Single Door fridge
Standard Depth
Good Capacity
Less than $5000

The list below is my starting point. Please add on any that I may not have discovered, yet. And feel free to share your opinions on any manufacturer that I should stay away from. Thanks!

Maytag, Whirlpool, LG, KitchenAid Architect II, Amana

Comments (10)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Maytag, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, and Amana are the same. Good fridges. LG I would shy away from due to service. I would add GE to the list as well.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

not sure if it effects all LG bottom freezers but my french door bottom freezer has had issues with the fan at the bottom freezing up and not cooling the appliance. Lg created a fix with a heater in one of the fans but not both. it was getting too warm last week and i called my extended warranty # from HD. 5 days later the a&e tech said they personally have changed out 75 LG fan bottoms (we are not in a city either) they could not find anything wrong but did say that its possible that the other fan was frozen due to condensation. there was ice buildup at the back behind the freezer drawer.
    this very well could be an LG only problem but i am not an expert.
    we have 4 LG things in our house. i like none of them and will not purchase any more LG.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

Liebherr.....
    we have 36" FD, counter depth and its been fab....we paid around $5,000 for ours. SZ are around $8....ask if they are getting rid of their floor models to bring in the new ones. you can save that way...

i'm sure they have a style to fit your needs...lowe's, HD don't carry them, you have to go to appliance store...

Good Luck

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

The good days are gone my friend. What space limitations do you have? Personally I would order a wrf535 or a kbfs25. Then I would order a single door off of a disco 36" wide single door. I think a door for a kbrs25 for right hinged would work or a kbls25 for left. Newer frigs are contoured and older ones were not. I would either adjust what you are looking for or hold out to see what happens with good ole whirlytag next year. Either way what you are looking for does not exist. And yes only buy a frig made in Iowa.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another vote for Liebherr, love mine!

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Does liebherr make a standard depth?

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have looked at (and salivated a bit over) the Liebherr, but it's not standard depth and I feel like I'm being shortchanged on space. The height of the top shelf seems like it would a be a hassle, too. I do LOVE the clean, simple lines of the interior ..
    JD#2-- the fridge is going in a kitchen addition, so space isn't a concern. I am fascinated by your DIY skills on swapping out fridge doors -- I'm too risk-averse to try that, though.

I am very appreciative of all of your responses, GWers.

This post was edited by dccurlygirl on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 17:35

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Kitchenaid Architect II. Very nice. I had to compromise with the budget and didn't want to lose the space to a counter depth unit. The LED lighting and grey interior feel like Star Trek every time I open it. I'm a happy customer.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Nice the kfiv29pcms with the grey interior. That's a fav of mine as a go to piece. It's a nice frig for me to use as a LG conversion piece.

• practigal
    9 years ago

My whirlpool has been great. (Interesting isn't it that CR dismisses bottom freezer single door fridges with nary the bat of an eye and they are what most people end up buying...the second time) they came in two sizes 18+ or 21+. I would measure your space carefully before deciding. It has the lower freezer as a pull out wire basket which I initially disliked, now I realize it just means that there is less freezer to clean, yeah! I have found the interior space to be fine for all of my purposes. If you have something of unusual size I recommend you try it out in both of the models you are considering. Also do you use gallon containers-do they fit in the door? For me it was important that all the bottles fit in the door and did not take shelf space.

Whirlpool plus European vacation or Liebher.....you know what I chose...