Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarav_gw

Cleaning between the glass on oven doors

Barbarav
10 years ago

This may seem like a crazy question to some, but it's important to me. The last new range I had (another house and 11 yrs ago) was a glass top electric kenmore. When I accidentally spilled sauce while removing a pan from the oven, it dripped between the layers of glass on the oven door. Thank goodness I was able to take the door apart to clean it or that drip would've driven me crazy. Now I'm in the market to replace a coil top range in our new home with some sort of induction cooktop/wall oven or slide in range, and it is unclear where I would find that information. I have called the manufacturers of Bosch, and know you cannot clean (disassemble) the doors on their wall ovens. Electrolux you can. Does anyone know if you can clean the GE profile induction range? I've inquired on their site but haven't gotten an answer. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• weissman
    10 years ago

There are some ovens with solid doors without any glass. You might want to investigate those too. With those you have to open the door to see what's going on inside but it does solve the problem you're concerned with. You might also look at French door ovens which open sideways and would be more difficult to spill things between the glass.

• weissman
    10 years ago

I've seen it reported occasionally here on this forum. Some (all?) oven doors have vent holes in the top edge of the door so it's possible but not too likely that you can spill something down there. Others on this forum have attempted to remove the door and clean it - some going as far as having a service call to have it done. Others probably just ignore it if it happens.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Not a simple task.
    Even the Electrolux is quite tricky because if you simply take out the fasteners (without clamps in place that can be gradually loosened), you run the risk of bending the thin gauge stainless steel cover out of shape.

Probably the most practical fix would involve mounting the oven door upside down and enlarging the cooling air flow bottom edge slots so that chemical cleaners, something like a small pressure washer, and small long handled brushes could be brought to bear on the problem. Sounds like a good hobby project for somebody who likes solving puzzles.

• Barbarav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. Weissman, I don't think I've ever seen an oven wi/o a glass door. Sjhockeyfan, some ovens have the vent holes on the inside face of the oven door at the top, so when you open the door to take out a bubbling lasagna or apple pie, it can easily drip into those holes. It's not something I thought about until it happened to me. That drip drove me nuts for 6 months or so, until I finally called Kenmore to see if anything could be done. That's when I learned that you could unscrew the door to get to the inner layer of glass. I then wrongly assumed that you could do that with all brands and forgot about it. Until I began looking for a wall oven to go with a Bosch induction cooktop. I thought I had settled on the Bosch 500 when I read the review from women who had done exactly what I did with the Kenmore. Sure enough I called Bosch to confirm that you could not clean between the glass. That is a deal breaker for me. Laat2, even though taking the door apart was not the easiest, I was able to do it myself AND get rid of that darn drip! I just read another post saying that Bosch may be introducing a side opening wall oven in the Spring...maybe something to consider?

• weissman
    10 years ago

I'm not sure there are wall ovens without glass doors but there are definitely some ranges that have solid doors. Also, I think some Gaggenau wall ovens open sideways.

• Barbarav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The OP said that the prototype was similar to the Gaggenau, but less expensive. They are pretty aren't they? Thanks.

• black88mx6
    10 years ago

I was easily able to open up the door/glass on my NXR.

• Barbarav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW, the phone rep advised against taking the door apart to clean up a spill between the glass panels on the new GE induction range. She suggested it be done by a service technician.

This post was edited by Barbarav on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 0:07

• Ceci Kingsley
    7 years ago

I took mine apart now cant get the last screw back in, just spins

• ekscrunchy
    7 years ago

I did the same thing on my Viking range. (Spilled the liquid contents of a low-sided baking pan when making farinata) I've been living with it for years and would love to find a way to clean inside the two glass panels.

• ifoco
    7 years ago

My Gaggenau side opening wall oven was a mess. I never spilled anything but....atmospheric moisture would get between the two panes of glass. I had water literally running down between the panes. We do live in Florida but the house is air conditioned to 75 degrees year round (humidity being removed) so that shouldn't be an issue. In addition, little bugs would get trapped between the panes; very unsightly. The glass door was the entire dimension of the front of the oven making all of this unbelievably awful looking. Gaggenau refused to do anything and said I should call for service to clean between the two panes of glass. He refused to do it as the control panel was on the front of the door and he didn't want the liablility of the oven no longer working. I got rid of the oven and bought a GE French Door wall oven.

Inga

• stuarton
    7 years ago

You cannot clean the inner glass panel of a Electrolux without removing the doors, disassembling them and reinstalling them. Electrolux suggests if you are uncomfortable with this to hire a service company to do this, at your expense. It is an obvious design flaw, yet they tout how easy their oven doors are to clean.