Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New SubZero 42 Ice Maker Drip

Posted by SethG (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 10:04

Hey I am posting to seek advice both as to the source of my problem and as to how to deal with SubZero and the local authorized repair team.

We just remodeled and installed all new appliances, including a SubZero side by side 42 inch fridge/freezer.

Ever since the moment we turned the unit on (in October), the ice maker has not functioned properly. It appears that the unit gets too much water at once, causing an overflow drip into the ice bucket. This means that while the ice maker is making ice and dropping the ice into the bucket, the cubes are falling into a puddle of water which is freezing over the course of hours into a solid block.

I have had to stay home to wait for the authorized repair people four times with no good results. First they replaced the ice maker. This did not solve the problem. Then they replaced the control unit for the ice maker (I don't know the proper name for this piece but it is attached to the water filter at the top right hand side of the unit). The theory of this second repair was that the problem comes from the electronic instructions that regulate the filling of the ice tray.

But unfortunately the problem resumed again right after the repairman left. I am about to call them again, and SubZero itself, as I am getting very frustrated. This is a first world problem, to be sure, and of course we can always make ice the old-fashioned way (thank goodness I remember my grandmother's recipe!). But still it is a brand new and very expensive piece of equipment and it is maddening to have it not functioning after two months.

Do you wizards have any insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New SubZero 42 Ice Maker Drip

Hey I am still interested in your ideas. I just want to add that the service people I've been dealing with are very helpful and are trying their best. The guy I called today got on the phone with SubZero and he's going to replace the unit that regulates water flow from the bottom of the fridge. He says this is the last thing that could be the source of the problem. I hope he is right. If any of you have ever dealt with this problem, I'd love to hear about it.

o

Yes, the water inlet valve regulates the water flow to icemakers. It has a cold water input supply tube and a water inlet tube to your icemaker. The valve itself needs a properly functioning solenoid to allow in the correct amount of water to the icemaker. This is tested with a manometer on both solenoid terminals. From the sound of it, this may be the problem. Good luck.

o

Thank you for your response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here