Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Steam oven, regular oven, microwave placement

YuliaO
10 years ago

I am getting wolf steam combo oven, regular oven, and microwave drawer. I have one high cabinet that fits 2 appliances and the 3rd appliance will go under counter.

My initial set up is microwave drawer goes under counter, and two ovens go into the high cabinet�Would i then put steam oven over regular oven or regular oven should be on top?

Or steam and microwave in the high cabinet (would i need to get regular microwave then?) and regular oven under counter?

what would you do?
thanks

Comments (15)

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

I think i would do the micro under counter, then steam oven over regular oven.

Does it feel good to have made your decision on what to get - cause I am still in confusion land!!

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I have the Steam oven an Wolf Convection Micro in one tall cabinet, with the micro on top.

I then have the Wolf L-Series wall oven on the end of my island under the counter top.

We have loved this setup and are happy the way it is. Having the steam oven lower than the microwave in that setup makes the most sense, at least for us, makes it easier to get things in and out of the steam oven for us.

We hardly use the microwave now, we do most of our reheating in the steam oven, though not all of it, maybe 75%.

If you do a micro-drawer, then you wouldn't be able to put it up high, at least for how I understand them to work. But I could be wrong on that.

Phil

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, i am still in doubt lol :) I wake up in the middle of the night, thinking "maybe i should go with range and not a range top??????"

And i didn't choose a hood, yet :) :) :)

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

I know all about those middle of the night wake-ups! We call it the "squirrels" in my family - it's up looking for a nut (and we are the perfect nutty family!)

Sometimes i think i should go with rangetop instead of range, but maybe I just have to stop thinking, right???

BTW, I am going to a Bluestar demo in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. I asked if he would demo the oven and he offered to bake cookies. I want to see for myself how hot the oven door gets. I think you were going with the Bluestar rangetop, correct?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yep, bluestar range top 36 inch with griddle (not sure i'll ever use it LOL)

philwojo99 thank you! does your oven gets very warm when in use? the only place under counter that i could use for an oven is in the island where i would do most of my prepâ¦don't want to have burned knees :) :)
    how do you like the microwave? (i mostly use it to reheat my coffee he he) I am not sure i like the look of it though :(
    Maybe i could get the miele set up then :))) their microwave is cuter :)

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

Yuliao, our Wolf L-Series in the end of the island does not get to hot for me to stand in front of and do prep work.

Our island is kind of unique in that the it is kind of like a bent "L" shape. There is not a 90 degree angle to make the full L, bur rather about a 30 degree angle or so, kind of hard to describe and I don't think I have a picture handy. But we put the oven on the end, and it is near the fridge. On the other end of the island we have what we call a "Bistro Table". It is like a breakfast bar, but it is square to be just slightly bigger than the island and you can only seat on three sides, though we only do 2 as the third would be in an isle.

I have to say that we don't love the look of the Wolf Convection MW either, and if I had it to do over again, I would probably still go built in, but opt for a cheaper MW. I do love having the Convection Oven as an option on the MW though, it basically gives us a third Convection oven. We have used all three at once for making dinners for family. Though we normally only use the MW as an oven as a last resort and only for small things, like a small dish of cooked carrots. They take almost an hour and are at a different temp than the other things we were cooking. It was only like $100 extra for the Wolf Conv MW compared to their standard MW so it was really a no brainer for that price when doing a full kitchen remodel.

I wanted to get the 36" BS range top with griddle, but my wife talked me out of it. I think I am very happy she did, not sure how much I would have used it. We now have a 1950's cast iron griddle to span the two middle 15K burners and that works out great for us. I store it in the Wolf L-Series when I am not using it. I do love having all 6 burners for the extra space and I have used all 6 on occasion. so that is nice to have.

Phil

• bober
    10 years ago

Although it costs a bit more I'm leaning towards the BS 36" rangetop, Wolf CSO24 (steam/conv) in a prep island, and maybe a single wall oven (TBD). I have been scared off a bit by the BS oven temp stories.

Since the CSO should cover most of the quick heating up of things (and most conventional oven needs), I will not be building in a MW. We have a small countertop corner MW (Whirlpool 0.5 cu. ft - Model # WMC20005YD) that works well for quick heating that I will keep in case the CSO does not work quick enough for all things, like coffee reheating !

Hope this helps although it may be a bit off topic :-)

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Yuliao,
    We have the Wolf steam/convection under the counter in the island, a GE Profile 1 cu ft countertop MW built in over the counter next to the refrigerator and L series double wall ovens. The GE MW is small so it doesn't stand out as much as the Wolf MW. The model # is PEM31SM4SS; check it out. We selected the Wolf 6 burner range top after much hand ringing over the Blue Star. We like the Wolf. We were scared off the Blue Star b/c of some negative reviews and the unavailability of service in our area.
    We are very happy with all our choices.
    MJ

• bober
    10 years ago

MJ,

What service area are you in? I am curious because I am in San Francisco. I know Wolf has good service here, not sure about BS.

-Bob

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Hi Bob,
    I'm on an island off the coast of New England so you can understand why service is a concern. The good news is Wolf does service here so no problem there. However, it eliminated considering Blue Star or American Range. Contact your Wolf/SZ distributor in your area and ask about service; in the San Francisco area I would expect it to be very good. Another benefit to contacting the distributor is you can visit their showrooms and use the appliances. They also have demonstrations and cook yummy meals. Best of luck!MJ

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

Yuliao, I actually put my hand on my Wolf L-Series oven this past weekend while it had been on for over an hour at 350F and it wasn't even really warm to be honest. No part of the outside of the own was even that warm if I am being honest, so no issues with worrying about getting burned at all, at least from my experience.

Phil

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mjocean, i am in MA!
    i've been trying to contact BS dealership for the past week with no luck! It scares me that they might be not very responsiveâ¦I don't like Capital and i don't like Wolf :(

Phil, thank you! I'll think about it!

If i didn't change my layoutâ¦Should i put steam oven on top of regular oven?

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I would put it on top of the regular oven if I was doing it for me. It is smaller than the full size oven and you aren't going to be putting things that are as big or as heavy in it so for me it makes more sense. But doing it the other way around wouldn't be bad in my opinion either, if that is how you wanted it.

Phil

• new_morning
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say... I'm glad I'm not the only one agonizing over ovens! Haha. I just posted about trying to decide between the Advantium / Steam oven styles over the Wolf E series - now that they JUST changed their oven styles (sigh). Form vs. Function, so many decisions to make. I thought I had made a decision and had my credit card out, but then Wolf decided to pull the switcheroo on oven styles. (Grrrrreat...)

Anyway, I see most people putting their advantiums or steam ovens on top (since they are used on a much more daily basis than the single wall oven).

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz