Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

BlueStar - Loud boom noise after turning off gas oven

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

I have a 36" Bluestar RNB and I've noticed that after turning off the oven, about 10-15 minutes later I will hear a loud "BOOM" noise. The oven is completely off (and has been for several minutes) when this happens.

The oven was installed in August 2013. But I cant say I remember the noise happening since then. I can definitely say its happened for the past 8 weeks for certain. But I do not use the oven daily. I probably only use it 2x a week or so on average.

Any ideas?

I did google the problem (not specific with Bluestar) and it does sound like a metal panel or something making the sound. I do not smell gas or anything like that.

Comments (6)

• otterkill
    10 years ago

I get that big boom in my gas fireplace. It happens when it's turned on and off due to metal expanding and contracting. It's been going on for years and it still scares the bejesus outta me every time. But don't take my word for it...I'd call Bluestar to be sure....safety first!

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

My BS makes a very loud boom as well. I don't time it, but it is well after I shut it off, and I assume it has to do with expansion and contraction of metal. I don't always get it, but it is common if I am cooking at a high temp.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I haven't called Bluestar yet. But i do think its like metal flexing. It hasn't happened the last few times I have used the oven. I've been trying to make a point to listen for it.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

My wolf dual fuel range does the same thing.

Loud noise after the oven has been off for a time. It freaked me out at first (house is 8 yrsold), but I have come to expect it.

This is the first time I have seen any reference to anything similar by another poster.

• Shekeva Adams
    2 years ago

I only been in my newly build house one month and a half and heard the noise last night. We thought that it was the hood range because it stopped working. not sure though. donDon know who to call in this matter. What could it be?

• KristenVT
    2 years ago

Shekveva Adams - its just the metal expanding and contracting. It expands when heated and contracts when it cools and that is the sound you are hearing after you shut the oven off. I think in my Bluestar gas range/oven I hear it a loud boom about 15 minutes after I shut the oven off. I dont think you need to call anyone unless you want to pay them $100/hour to tell you that its thermodynamics.