Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas oven (Capital) turning itself on

Posted by nf85 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 9:28

Good morning,
The oven on our 36" Capital Culinarian range has begun turning itself on. I hear it ignite, the light goes on, it fires for a minute or two, and then goes off again. The oven overall has been a disappointment and I've had a half-dozen service calls for running low, or high, or baking inconsistently, but this is new and alarming. Has anyone seen this before? I've e-mailed the company but don't expect to hear back immediately. In the meantime, is unplugging it advisable, or does that risk simply having the gas run without igniting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas oven (Capital) turning itself on

Maybe your house is haunted.

o

I apologize on this forum's behalf for Jannie's answer. While I myself do not know the answer to your question, I googled "gas oven turning on by itself", and got a lot to read. I am linking one response below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Answers Why Gas Oven Comes on by Itself

o

I recommend calling Capital rather than going through e-mail. You need to speak with a live person.

o

I second BFF's recommendation. Call them directly on Monday morning at 8:00 Pacific. Ask for Bob, the head of service. I know sometimes another person or two has done some service call intake, but insist on Bob if possible. Then follow-up with him every day or two if he hasn't been back in touch with you.

Independent service companies doing work for Capital (and every other appliance manufacturer out there) are hit and miss. If you're not happy or haven't gotten resolution with whomever they've sent, call Bob immediately afterwards and tell him what you've experienced.

o

Thanks very much, everyone. I spoke with Bob today and he will send someone from a different firm out--hopefully soon. In the meantime, I've unplugged the range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here