Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otfeldodja

KitchenAid Convection Micro vs Advantium

otfeldodja
10 years ago

We are trying to select a built-in microwave (30") for our renovation.

Two options are the KitchenAid convection microwave (KBHS109BSS) and the GE Monogram Advantium Speed Oven (ZSC2201NSS).

I have found a decent amount of information on the Advantium, and it looks very good. But it is pricey ($2600 quote for 240V) especially for the built-in model. I also notice that the over the range model seems to be identical in functionality (except it also has ventilation) yet is only about $1200.

I have not been able to find out much about the KitchenAid. It is also expensive but less so, at $1800.

Does anyone have experience with either?

Comments (8)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

The OTR advantium cannot rotate a 9x13 dish inside, though you can still cook in it. That was the only difference I recall. We just put in a built in wall oven version and are very happy with it. Definitely stay with 240V regardless of which model you pick.

• otfeldodja
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One other consideration is the accompanying oven we would get with it.

The GE monogram oven (ZET1RMSS) is priced at $3200, so total package is $5500.

The KitchenAid oven (KEBS109BSS) is $2000. Even better, there is a combo microwave + oven (KEMS309BSS) that is at $3300. So there is a significant overall difference in price.

We don't care that much about the oven (Consumer Reports rates the KitchenAid significantly higher FWIW), but since they would be stacked we want to get models that look like they go together.

• dyanetti
    10 years ago

If it were me the choice would come down to how I was financing it. If I had the money, or if it were going on a mortgage, I would go for the GE. I own the KA. It looks like it's from the '80's.

The Advantium is a different machine. My neighbour describes it as revolutionizing his cooking.

On a different note, I was amazed, and we've gotten surprised compliments on how the LG and the KA match up. The Kitchenaid handle isn't quite as wide, but it's a similar curve, the strainles colours are close, and the glass width is the same.

• eurekachef
    10 years ago

I don't have an OTR Advantium, so I can't comment about that, but remember that the Advantium is more than just a convection m-wave. it's a speed oven and a regular convection oven as well. I don't know the KA product well enough to know if it has these additional features.

• otfeldodja
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The KitchenAid combo oven is on special all over the place today for Cyber Monday. We got it price matched locally for $2850.

At that price, the decision was pretty much made for us. We just could not justify the price difference - no matter how good the Advantium is.

My gut feel from scouring the web is that the Advantium is a bit better. Feature-wise they are similar (broil/microwave/warmer), though I am not sure how (or if) the KitchenAid compares to the Advantium speed oven feature.

Thanks everyone for your input!

• whit461
    10 years ago

We splurged with the Advantium and got the 240V Monogram Pro model to match our GE DF range. Love it. Amazing. A friend built a new house at the beach and put the OTR 120V and it doesn't compare. Whole chickens get messy, and we have to figure some things out ourselves, but that's ok. Fish, pork chops, baking, roasting, frozen fries, sweet potatoes, soufflés. Wow. But we use our main range a lot, too.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Love my Advantium 240!
    I have a wolf to match below.
    It is a true speed oven- it even reheats pizza perfectly

This post was edited by a2gemini on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 19:38