Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KitchenAid Convection Micro vs Advantium

Posted by otfeldodja (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 9:27

We are trying to select a built-in microwave (30") for our renovation.

Two options are the KitchenAid convection microwave (KBHS109BSS) and the GE Monogram Advantium Speed Oven (ZSC2201NSS).

I have found a decent amount of information on the Advantium, and it looks very good. But it is pricey ($2600 quote for 240V) especially for the built-in model. I also notice that the over the range model seems to be identical in functionality (except it also has ventilation) yet is only about $1200.

I have not been able to find out much about the KitchenAid. It is also expensive but less so, at $1800.

Does anyone have experience with either?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KitchenAid Convection Micro vs Advantium

I attached a picture of our install - the kitchen aid over the LG wall oven. After 4 years we are moderately happy with the kitchen aid but it is outclassed by the LG, by comparison, and when we purchased the kitchen aid was the only component I purchased extended warrantee on, based on reputation.

The KA is the 240 volt version and it works just fine. However, it really is somewhat outmoded by more modern appliances. I chose it at the time as I needed a flip- down door and in the price range there were only two micro-convection ovens that I could find

We have not once used the steam function.

My wife has never used the convection. (Except when we have guests and she asks me to set it up as a warming oven. The controls really are not intuitive for this - all temperatures are set for a timed count down.)

The neighbours across the street just bought stacked GEs, with the Advantium on top. They are extremely happy. Seeing what they have confirms that I should have bitten the bullet and gone for an Advantium myself.

o

The OTR advantium cannot rotate a 9x13 dish inside, though you can still cook in it. That was the only difference I recall. We just put in a built in wall oven version and are very happy with it. Definitely stay with 240V regardless of which model you pick.

o

One other consideration is the accompanying oven we would get with it.

The GE monogram oven (ZET1RMSS) is priced at $3200, so total package is $5500.

The KitchenAid oven (KEBS109BSS) is $2000. Even better, there is a combo microwave + oven (KEMS309BSS) that is at $3300. So there is a significant overall difference in price.

We don't care that much about the oven (Consumer Reports rates the KitchenAid significantly higher FWIW), but since they would be stacked we want to get models that look like they go together.

o

If it were me the choice would come down to how I was financing it. If I had the money, or if it were going on a mortgage, I would go for the GE. I own the KA. It looks like it's from the '80's.

The Advantium is a different machine. My neighbour describes it as revolutionizing his cooking.

On a different note, I was amazed, and we've gotten surprised compliments on how the LG and the KA match up. The Kitchenaid handle isn't quite as wide, but it's a similar curve, the strainles colours are close, and the glass width is the same.

o

I don't have an OTR Advantium, so I can't comment about that, but remember that the Advantium is more than just a convection m-wave. it's a speed oven and a regular convection oven as well. I don't know the KA product well enough to know if it has these additional features.

o

The KitchenAid combo oven is on special all over the place today for Cyber Monday. We got it price matched locally for $2850.

At that price, the decision was pretty much made for us. We just could not justify the price difference - no matter how good the Advantium is.

My gut feel from scouring the web is that the Advantium is a bit better. Feature-wise they are similar (broil/microwave/warmer), though I am not sure how (or if) the KitchenAid compares to the Advantium speed oven feature.

Thanks everyone for your input!

o

We splurged with the Advantium and got the 240V Monogram Pro model to match our GE DF range. Love it. Amazing. A friend built a new house at the beach and put the OTR 120V and it doesn't compare. Whole chickens get messy, and we have to figure some things out ourselves, but that's ok. Fish, pork chops, baking, roasting, frozen fries, sweet potatoes, soufflés. Wow. But we use our main range a lot, too.

o

Love my Advantium 240!
I have a wolf to match below.
It is a true speed oven- it even reheats pizza perfectly

This post was edited by a2gemini on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 19:38

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here