Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usbound_gw

Wolf vs Thermadore 36" Gas Range

USbound
11 years ago

Hello. I am new to this forum as I am repatriating to the US from the UK and will be in the market for new appliances (I've been gone for 7 years so am not up to date on the latest and greatest).

I want to replace the range that is currently in the house (Jenn-Air 30", down draft) to a 36" range. I just can't live with a 4 burner, much less with down draft... I've narrowed it down to Wolf and Thermadore (ruled out Viking, DCS, etc due to reliability issues...based on posts I've read on this forum and Chow). I've submitted a new post as a lot of what I've read is quite old (2007, etc).

I'm leaning towards Thermadore because I prefer the look of it and the reviews seem overall pretty good. However, performance and reliability are most important. I cook every day so the range will be used all of the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Since I will have to remodel the kitchen to get a 36" to fit, this is a very important decision for me. Thank you!

Comments (4)

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi USBound,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to this question, as many of us have these brands.

I have the 36" Wolf (dual fuel, not all gas) and had narrowed it down to that and the Thermador when I made my decision.

Here's my 2 cents: I selected the Wolf based on the advice of almost all the appliance repiarmen, salespeople, and GW appliance gurus I asked. Although many said the Thermador is a great unit, I was consistently told that the Wolf is the single most reliable, with the fewest repair calls.

One person who has moved/installed most of the high-end brands commented that the Wolf is much heavier than the others-- it's built like a tank.

When I started researching on various forums, there were just too many people who've had problems with Thermador. A range repair can not only be expensive, but in rare cases damage has occurred to adjacent marble counters during removal of the unit to repair it. (I have marble.)

Just curious--did you have 6 burners in the UK? Also curious why you prefer all gas--many on the forum do. There's a major redesign on the Wolf AG that either just happened or is just about to.

• USbound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Madeline616. Thank you for all of the information. I think you have me leaning back towards a Wolf now! Yes, I've had a 6 burner range at my last two properties in the UK and I'm addicted. I couldn't imagine having to go back to a 4 burner.

I don't necessarily have a preference for all gas. I've looked at the cost of the dual fuel ranges and am not sure that I could justify the difference in cost.

Thanks again for your reply.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I remodeled about 10 years ago, so this may not be true any longer.

I have the 36 inch Thermadore all gas range.

I chose it over the Wolf because the oven on the Thermadore was larger.....that is deeper in particular. It was deep enough to hold 2 cookie sheets, or 1 full sized (Lunch Lady) sheet pans.

Since I was not going to have 2 ovens, I felt it was very important to have this space in the 1 oven.

I really like the all gas.

I don't know anyone with a Wolf personally, so can't say as how they compare for the repair records. Since it has been 10 years since our work was done, we have repaired all appliances at least once, and replaced the dishwasher twice. Needless to say, we are heavy kitchen users.

Anyway, I think that you might compare the oven interior space between the 2 and see if that makes any difference to you.

• maggiejune
    10 years ago

Hi I was wondering what you ended up choosing? I am try to make a choice between Bluestar, Wolf and Thermador (36"). Dual fuel on Wolf or Thermadore an all gas Bluestar. It is the one hang up in my kitchen build. I like feature of each one but keep going back to Wolf due to reliability and cs. I wish it had higher btus like the other brands. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank