Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeshwant91

Can you have a dishwasher NOT next to a sink?

yeshwant91
15 years ago

Our layout includes a dishwasher that is around the corner from the sink separated by a lazy susan corner cabinet. We only had 18" on the other side of the sink (small row house kitchen), and I might not even have been able to fit an 18" DW with cover panel in there (there is a 30" wide refrigerator adjacent), so that location could not work.

I spoke to our plumber who assured me he could install a dishwasher that far away from the sink, but now I am worrying again. Has anyone done this? Separated the DW and sink by a cabinet?

Comments (29)

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

I have a corner sink and the KD suggested I put a drawer bank between the DW and the sink. Because of the angle of the sink, having the DW right next to the sink can cause you to be "hemmed in" by the DW door when the DW is open.
    I am so glad I took her advice. I've found it's more important to have the trash near the DW since we scrape and put the dishes into the DW--no rinsing with many of the new DW's.

The advice my KD gave me was to lay newspaper out on the floor to the approximate dimensions of your layout and mimic the steps to load the DW. It convinced me that there weren't too many steps involved and that this setup would work.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

bump

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

In the house where I grew up, we had two kitchens and neither dishwasher was next to the sink. One had quite a large drawer base between the sink and the dishwasher - I think at least 30". The other had a blind base with a bank of drawers. No problem with plumbing or loading the dishwasher. It drained just fine.

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

Do you mean that you have to actually walk around the corner or that it is on an inside corner? If it's an inside corner, you would want to have at least a 12" run (preferably up to 18") before the DW so that when the door is open, you can stand at the sink. If it's right in the corner, you won't be able to open the door and stand at the sink at the same time.

The only other consideration besides the plumbing issues already brought up in previous posts is the dripping of dishes on the way to the DW.

• peggysue_2008
    15 years ago

i have one on the pennisula cabinet, not by my sink. i too had a small opening that could not fit a DW. it works just fine for me. it's been installed for a few years like this and i have no problems whatsoever

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

Mine is across the room from the sink and no problems with how the dishwasher performs. The only problem is it is inefficient (and messy) to put the dishwasher across the room from the sink and I will not be keeping this "design" in my new kitchen.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I have a similar layout with the dishwasher one cabinet over from the sink. I hate it. I always have to have a rag on the floor and the countertop to catch any drips from wet dishes being put in the dishwasher. I find it highly ineffective and I like Kitchenredo will not be keeping it in my new layout. It is separated by a 27" cabinet right now. Have you posted your layout on the kitchen forum for feedback? You may still end up with the same design but you will get some good feedback and tidbits from people who have the configuration you are aiming for.

Good luck!

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! Here's the plan. Smallish rowhouse kitchen.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15516153@N02/3144148823/
    The DW will probably be a Miele 18"/ 24" (ideas about width? There's only two of us and we do not cook daily. Last night I assembled the cabinets and a 24" space alloted for the DW looked rather large). The water supply and drain are in the lower center rear of the DW. The sink is in the location shown (24" wide sink cabinet). The drain pipe / plumbing would need to be at least 5-6 feet in length (going through the corner cabinet which is 37 x 37"). There is about 12" of space between the sink cabinet and the DW when the door of the DW is open. Alas, I don't see any options to that. It could have gone next to the 30" wide frig where the 18" wide base cabinet is, but then that's an end run and I do not think we have even an inch of space left to have an end panel that can support the countertop.
    Why do the dishes need to go to the sink first? Can't they go straight to the DW to avoid messes? (You can tell I don't have a DW now).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen plan

• homepro01
    15 years ago

My business process when cooking is to put everything in the sink when I am cooking and then load the dishwasher when I am done. Also, if I generate dishes when the dishwasher is running, then end up in the sink. Since I only have one sink, I use the sink to wash hands, rinse things etc, so the dishes get wet. I have included a link to the kitchen forum. I would really consider posting there for layout advice. If you can fit it in, I would recommend a corner sink just from glancing at your layout. Also, when you post there, post the dimensions of your space.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Forum

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I stack the dishes next to the sink after clearing the table. I am a dish-rinser (thanks mom) and rinse before placing in dishwasher (especially tomato-based food which will stain the interior). In my new kitchen I will throw remains into the trash (next to the sink) or down the garbage disposal, depending on what it is.

Also, depending on the type of dishwasher, some have grinders in them and they will take care of dishes that aren't rinsed well. If it doesn't, you probably want to do a little rinse to avoid food matter mucking-up the dishwasher. I am no dishwasher expert, but this is what has worked for me.

You will be very happy with your dishwasher and wonder how you survived without it!

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

If you're considering the miele, they recommend scraping and loading the DW--no rinsing required. I just installed an the Optima model and have left bowls from mac and cheese sitting in there for 3 days and they still come out crystal clean. It's an amazing machine. You just have to be certain to use an enzyme based DW detergent to take care of the food particles left on the dishes.

It doesn't look like you'll have too big a walk to the DW. Mine is a corner sink with a 15" base then the DW, followed by the trash on the end. It's more important for the trash to be close for scraping the plates, especially if you're considering the miele or another one of the higher end DW's.

If you do opt to go to a corner sink, as homepro recommends, just make certain you lay it out on the floor with the DW door open to see if you have enough space to manuever. Some people seem to have enough room with that layout but I didn't, which is why I put the 15" cab in between.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another problem that I am running into;
    The Miele only allows for 5' of drain hose, if the hose is to be angled upward at all, which I took to mean that if it is to connect to the sink drain and not a floor drain. If the hose runs horizontal it can go up to 12'. Should I risk it and have a 6' hose and connect it above the sink P-trap? Miele sells extensions to their hoses. I will need at least 6' of drain hose length to traverse the corner cabinet. I suppose it has to do with the pump strength.
    I do not know about the Bosch. I cannot find the installation manual for their 18" DW. The American DWs allow for 10' of drain hose. The Miele also does not allow for the electric connection/ outlet to be directly behind the DW.

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh. I just realized that mine is not installed correctly. My outlet is behind the DW---clearly not what the install instructions state. I'm so glad you mentioned it--already called the contractor.

I can't help you with the plumbing aspects. I did find Miele customer service to be very helpful when I was selecting my DW so you may want to give their 800 number a try.

• rennovatorjen
    15 years ago

Can you change your layout? What about putting fridge, sink, dishwasher on the wall where you currently have the stove, and put your stove where the fridge is currently located? I see you have your sink in front of a window, but I personally would rather have a convenient layout than a nice view from the sink - you will have a dishwasher now so you shouldn't be standing there for hours!

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rennovatorjen, it's a little late in the game for that, since all the rough plumbing, electric, etc. has been done. I can change/ add an outlet for the DW though, hence all this agita. And I really wanted the sink to look out of the window. Dishes or not. I even moved a window in the extension to line up with the kitchen window for this. I know, I thought I had it all planned out well, but then these last minute changes creep in. Wish I'd known about the kitchen layout forum before this. Maybe if we'd moved the frig to where the pantry is (not the best position for the frig then and what do you use more?)
    What I can do now is move around the location for the DW. The cabinetry is not in yet.
    To add to the issue, I went yesterday to look at 18" wide DW and even measured the racks. The 24" have 21" wide racks and the 18" DW have 14" racks. So they are 2/3 the size. BUT, they LOOK really dinky and small, like toys. The 24" by comparison look so spacious. So it's back to the indecision and uncertainty.
    Question: some dishwashers have removable lower racks. Have people found this feature helpful? I mean, you can take the rack out and to the sink to load, or to the cabinets to unload.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated drawing attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen plan

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Yeshwant91,
    Please post this on the kitchen forum. Some of the layout gurus over there will be able to provide you feedback about how to make things better without too much hassle at this point in your design.

Good luck!

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Ignore my post. I saw it on the kitchen forum!
    Good luck!

• livingthedream
    15 years ago

To save our aching backs, when we remodeled we raised our end-of-cabinet-run dishwasher (and we bless that decision every day). To have same-level counter space space on both sides of the sink, there's a cabinet between our sink and dishwasher.

Other than the slight inconvenience of needing a longer-than-standard hose to install a new dishwasher, it's been all positive. We use the space in between as our "dirty side" where whatever doesn't go straight into the dishwasher is accumulated. This not only leaves the sink free for other jobs, but even leaves room enough to work at the sink while others load the dishwasher from both sides. Although the kitchen is still small, avoiding that hemmed-in feeling (and the barked shins that went with it) is nice.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Practically, you can put a DW anywhere there is plumbing and electrical...even a bedroom or closet (notwithstanding code requirements). Location is more of a logistical and convenience thing.

Although we have airport runway amounts of counter space, we did not want to break it up by raising the DW. I know numerous people who did raise the DW and LOVE it.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Decided to go with the 24". Figured it might be easier to rearrange where I store dishes and things than go with the 18" and then regret it at resale (although I think it would be perfectly fine for our needs). Also an end run DW next to the frig seemed a little dicey for stone countertop support.
    One thing I've wondered about, why don't people pull the racks out of the machine onto the countertop and then unload them? Isn't that why the bottom rack slides out all the way onto the open door? Then you could have the DW anywhere and remove the rack and then take the rack to the cabinets where your dishes, etc. are stored. That would then free the DW of any location constraints. Of course, the elderly or weak may not be able to do this, but able-bodied persons? Or am I missing something?

• Josie Cosentino
    6 years ago
    I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone has strong feelings about dishwasher not being next to sink?

We are thinking of putting the dishwasher in the spot circled in red.
  • dadoes
    6 years ago

Depends on access to plumbing and electric at that position. Dishwashers are normally connected to the hot water supply and drain under the sink and of course also need electricity. Long water lines aren't much of an issue since there's water-mains pressure involved but too-long drain hoses can be a detriment to proper draining if the pump isn't strong enough. You'd have to check if the model of question supports it.

• Josie Cosentino
    6 years ago
    GC says it’s possible, but I’m more concerned with the functionality. I’m used to it being next to sink, but as you can see with existing layout, it’s not possible.
  • dadoes
    6 years ago

It's your choice of not having a dishwasher at all, or having one in what's perhaps a less-than-ideal position. My parents didn't have a dishwasher in the house they built in 1964 with a U-shaped kitchen. The sink was at the shorter center of the U. Cooktop at center of the longer left arm. Wall oven at end of the left with a large storage cabinet beneath. They added a dishwasher in that cabinet space beneath the oven in 1975, Plumbers ran copper tubing for water and drain around to under the sink.

• PRO
    Sklar Construction
    3 years ago

I have the same question and need input from a plumbing expert. The plan is attached. The dishwasher needs to be installed where indicated (D.W.). It is set under a peninsula. How do I drain the dishwasher and satisfy code requirements.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

This is a new build? Plumbing connections (hot water supply and drain) are required at the dishwasher's location.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living