Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Completely off topic, but...

Posted by maddie_in_ky (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 7:59

Hi all!

I hope you all will forgive me for posting this here, but I figure that since you wise folks know about appliances and cooking, maybe someone could advise me on this--

IYO, what would be a good wine to pair with 12 year old cheddar? (I checked in the Wine forum, but that seems to be more for the winemaker)

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Completely off topic, but...

Cahors (a French appellation for a wine made from predominantly Malbec grapes) or its more affordable cousin, Malbec from the Mendoza region of Argentina. An aged cheddar has a very strong taste and a lesser wine than Cahors/Malbec is in danger of being overwhelmed; Cahors does not tiptoe meekly into the pairing.

o

The nice thing about aged cheddar, depending on the sharpness, is that you can pair almost any wine with it. In most cases, you can treat it like you would a Parmesan. I think most people might lean towards a red like a Cabernet or a Merlot. Almost any red will work. But I'm going suggest something different and go white instead. Try a Viognier. I once went "out of the box" and served this white with a course ground mustard crusted beef tenderloin and it was a hit. It's a little spicy yet fruity so it can stand up against the cheddar without being too heavy. It's similar to a Gewurztraminer, which is more commonly available and also something you can try. HTH

o

I'm planning a wine and cheese family (my kids are over 21) cocktail party for Christmas, looking for some good wine and cheese pairings. Does anyone know of a good book or website? I know my kids love cheddar, and they like rose wine. I'll also be buying a Merlot and probably a fizzy Prossecco.

o

jscout: "But I'm going suggest something different and go white instead."

The first duty of any wine is to be red. [ducking and running] I say it facetiously, and there are those who disagree with me -- but (wait for it) they're wrong. [grin]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here