Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jenn-Air 30" JX3 Gas Downdraft Cooktop

Posted by jwwbrennan (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 7:22

I want to replace an older Jenn-Air downdraft cook top. Having used one for twenty years I know the limitations of downdraft systems. As we live in a log house with a ceiling 18' over the burners (addition of a long pipe would not be an improvement) our choices seem to be restricted to downdraft or no draft.

We can adapt to anything as long as it's dependable. Our preference would be a Bertazzoni or BlueStar but that doesn't resolve the draft problem.

Does anyone have experience with the Jenn-Air 30" JX3 Gas Downdraft Cooktop JGD3430BB?

Is it dependable even with its limitations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jenn-Air 30" JX3 Gas Downdraft Cooktop

I couldn't go up or directly out a wall, so I went down inside the wall between the studs with a 3.25x10 duct through the floor under the house and out the foundation wall. Not optimal size or distance but works ok with a 600 cfm hood.

o
RE: Jenn-Air 30" JX3 Gas Downdraft Cooktop

Thanks scole250,

it's a log house so going through the walls is not an option. There are ceiling fans and lots of windows (there is a sun room a couple of feet away as well where the walls are nothing but opening windows) so the air can really move when the downdraft isn't up to the job (it's not great but it does part of the job).

Actually while writing this response it occurs to me the house smells wonderful (curry) and the RH at the stove is 25% (cold outside and there's a fire in the wood stove) so maybe we don't need a solution. No solution is an option I never considered...until now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here