Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basic_kim

American Range Performer - experiences of recent buyers?

basic_kim
10 years ago

I'm narrowing in on the American Range Performer ARROB430, listed for $3699 at AJMadison...
A year or so ago there were comments from people disappointed in the lack of response from the company, etc. Any recent feedback? Any turn around?
Aside from all of the obvious features, what I like about this idea is:

-open burners seem to be designed in a way that they are easy to clean
-good size oven
-can customize color/finish (though I don't know yet how much this will cost)

Is anything else in the running? Am I missing something?
Thanks to all who comment...

Comments (164)

• omega73
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is anyone having baking issues with their Performer ovens?

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

@BakingMom: the patterns on both trays show that you did not have the convection ON; somehow the small tray did shadow the buns under it and, being close to the oven ceiling, all the reflected heat scorched the tops.

I saw your youtube video and IMHO you will not get the same level of browning on both the bagels' top and bottom, even though you used convection. Did you try using a steel pan instead of aluminum? The heat transmission properties are different between the two, both are much worse than clay, but iron is a little better than aluminum...

• BakingMom
    9 years ago

@gigelus2k13 -- Nope, the convection was certainly on. The photo exhibits the current issue of my bottom oven: that the broiler kicks on mid-cycle when on Bake or Conv and temp is set to I've dealt with this problem now for the past year while in communication with AR. I typically keep an 'eagle eye' on them, rotating, covering w/ Al foil, decreasing temp so that broiler doesn't come on, etc. Except this time I got distracted by kids and there's the result.

I've tried many different pans. Same uneven results. Whether the oven is on Conv or Bake the back of the ovens brown way quicker than the front. For a $6000 oven that had pictures of 3(!) full trays of evenly baked cookies and promises of even baking it should perform better than my 20 year old $300 bottom-of-the-line oven that it replaced. The bummer part is that I gave the old oven to a guy that collects scrap metal. Doh!

• Fori
    9 years ago

So the gas ovens on the ranges perform adequately, right? Sounds like the issues are with the electrics?

Those poor rolls!

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

@BakingMom: sorry, I completely missed the part with the broiler being turned on while the oven is in bake mode. What a POS! It could be either the electronics going gaga (inexcusable poor quality build) or someone in the AR's R&D department actually designed it like that.

Anyway, one gets much more consistent results from the gas oven of a $400 range. I feel sorry for the rolls!

• Golden David
    9 years ago

In regards to oven performance and since this is a ARPS thread and not a wall oven thread, here's an anecdote:

I baked 2 half sheet pans of bagel chips in my NG performer at 300F with convection on and the results were perfectly even across both sheet pans.

• basic_kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am grateful that so many people responded to this thread; what a generous group on this forum. I've been mulling over our choices over these months, and will have to make a decision soon-ish. I've been back and forth a million times...
    One one hand, for ordinary home-cooking, all of the "pro" style ranges probably offer "more" than we need...though we do cook at home, and not just to boil water.

On the other hand, in my heart of hearts, I really want to avoid that digital oven control panel. About 10 years ago, I installed a "Five Star," which was about $2500 at the time. Though it's been fine for our use, it has a faulty design: no drip pans. Thus, nearly impossible to keep clean under the burners. I wouldn't buy this brand again because of this problem.

Now, I'm moving and thus renovating another kitchen. The $3800 or so price tag for American Range is high for us, a stretch. The appliance store salespeople have suggested a GE Cafe gas range.

Still haven't made a final decision. But again, now leaning toward American Range.

• omega73
    9 years ago

Finally, renovations are done and the AR Performer has been hooked up. We're still trying to get organized and still living out of boxes so any cooking has so far been very simple. Damn does this range have power. Even the simple task of frying up some chopped up uncured/raw sausage was completed in about a minute. Water is boiling just under 50% more quickly than our previous gas Electrolux. Even the smallest simmer burner (12K BTU) is powerful enough for small pots. So far I haven't had any issues as others have with the igniters.

The only issue really is that the range is popping out at least an inch if not more because the gas line is restricting the range from moving any further towards the wall, does anyone have any fixes for this. I haven't used the oven yet but I did test the size and I love the fact that I can sit to good sized roasting pans side by side, this is something I couldn't do with my previous range. I couldn't even fit the pan perpendicular in the Electrolux.

Another issue, which I had previously as well with the Electrolux is that our pot handles are made of a synthetic material and if you don't control the flame they start burning. I could use bigger pots or control the flame but I'm thinking of replacing the handles with another material. I think it is going to be a bit more of an issue on the AR though and lowering the flame defeats the purpose of all this power. I definitely don't want to buy new pots as these are of really good quality, German made and brought over from Europe from my parents. This is going to go off topic but does anyone have any ideas on where I could go to look for replacement handles.

• Heidi1961
    9 years ago

There are rubber sleeves to fit over metal handles--perhaps there is something available for your pots?
    As for the American Range protruding from the the wall--I posted a notice about this. We had to cut a channel into our wall so that the gas line could be recessed. It was a pain in the butt, but we, thankfully, did not have a finished wall behind the stove yet, so it was a bit easier to deal with.

• Bungalow14
    9 years ago

We recently installed an AR Performer rangetop, but we had to make the same clearance modification for the gas line. My cabinet maker cut a two inch by about six inch strip out of the rear wall of the base cabinet on which the rangetop sits. No problem with fit, it aligns perfectly with the backsplash.
    Here's a blurry pic of a batch of sausage & peppers that I made last weekend. Mmm mmm good, and it cooked fast!

• omega73
    9 years ago

Ahhhh %*#*, are you serious. I wish I would have read about this, we tiled the wall all the way down to the floor behind the range just before installing the it. I guess I'm going to leave it as is. Nice counter top Bungalow, looks like ours, is it Super White?

• Bungalow14
    9 years ago

The granite yard called it "White Ice", but unless I'm mistaken, granite often has multiple names?
    Sorry that you're going to have to mess up your tiling, that's a bummer. But when your range fits flush and tight, you'll quickly forget what the wall behind it looks like!

• heatherbetsy
    9 years ago

This is my first post on GW, so please excuse any errors.

tloubet posted: "Just got an AR one month ago and love it.
    My only issue is the griddle has a big difference in temp from front to back. I expected a little variation, but we're talking literally raw pancakes in front and burned in the back.
    Had a tech out to look at it and he said it's working as designed.
    Anyone else with the griddle have this experience?"

Well, I have just installed a 36 inch Performer range-top and have only heated up the griddle twice, to season it. I was SHOCKED to see how far off the temperature readings were from front to back of the griddle when I checked it with my IR thermometer. I'm afraid to try using it!...
    tloubet got no answers that I saw. Anybody else have the griddle??

• Heidi1961
    9 years ago

I have the griddle and really like it.
    Yes, it does have a cooler section in the front.
    I talked with AR and they said it was designed that way to have a cooler area to move food to to keep warm while the rest of the food cooks--like a French top, I believe.
    The rear 2/3 cooks really evenly and the griddle stays hot for a long time afterwards.
    I have had no trouble using it.

• picholine506
    9 years ago

palomalou, from the picture I see you got the 4" stub back...how are you liking it? i'm ordering a 60" american range performer and researching what accessories I need/want...do you feel like it has been useful?

• palomalou
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I know really what purpose the stub back is to have. The dealer just recommended it since it is not on an island, to offer some protection to the backsplash.

• picholine506
    9 years ago

Does anyone know the measurement of the AR Performer from front to back without the door? It's not in the spec sheet or the brochure.

• omega73
    9 years ago

I absolutely adore the Performer, those 25K burners are unreal. My previous Electrolux had an 18K max burner but the way this beast sears a piece of meat was never capable with the Electrolux.

The oven preheats really quickly too, I thought I remember reading in here that it's slow.

Everything cooks so quickly both the stove top and the oven. Plus the size of the oven is sweet, I was never able to place to big roasting pans side by side.

No regrets with this purchase.

• Bungalow14
    9 years ago

Omega, thanks for bumping.
    I totally agree with your "everything cooks so quickly..." statement! I find that I'm finishing dishes on my rangetop much faster than on previous ranges (none of which were gas, fwiw). And not just on the 25k burners - my 18k burners get a lot of use to, and really crank out the heat.
    Not so much as a loose screw or wire in my 6-burner 'top, perfection since the day I rec'd it (coming up on 6 mos now).

• palomalou
    9 years ago

Mine is working and wokking
    like a dream, best ever. We did not have the gas line relocated lower because of the price (ca. $600) and have not been suffering unduly because of it. Picholine, it looks like 24 1/8 back to front, without door, but there is a projection from the front of the cooktop that comes out almost as far as the door handle. I think it must protect the knobs from getting bumped?

• duffman19
    9 years ago

bought an american range performer last year (36'') (installed sept 2013). Recently in last few weeks we have noticed a faint lingering gas smell coming from the burners. Ive contacted my local dealer who forwarded my information to american range and am waiting for a call back from AR support.

Anyone else notice a faint lingering smell. it was only when you were close to the range, would never fill the room or anything. I turned the shutoff off and the smell is now gone so it tells me there is a small leak somewhere in range (loose washer, something not tight enough i guess)...

• robguz24
    9 years ago

I can't find this information anywhere and AR support hasn't even been able to answer this. What do I need to season and how? Being cast iron, do the burner heads and grates need to be seasoned? One burner head had the coating start flaking off after the first use and shows signs of rust already. They're replacing it. However, being close to the ocean, everything rusts quickly here and I need to know how to treat these parts so they last for many years. Update: did get an answer from AR that they do not need to be seasoned.

This post was edited by robguz24 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 13:04

• robguz24
    9 years ago

I've had my 36" 6 burner ARP for about a month now. There were 4 separate problems that have all been resolved by now. The range was packed and shipped in such a way that the plug was up against the back of the unit, rather than on the underside. In transport, the grounding prong on the plug broke off. The one burner head immediately began to flake off the coating without being touched. The door arrived with a scrape on the chrome part of the door hinge. Those were all replaced and were easy fixes. The biggest problem was that the thermostat on the oven was defective and could not be turned off. That part was also sent and was just replaced. I live in a rural part of Hawaii and the only authorized repair person was 3 hours away. Fortunately I was able to find one person closer who was willing to take a look. AR tried to get this person certified as a vendor, but he didn't want to be bothered with that. It took some time, but all along AR insisted that everything would be fixed under warranty. The plug and the thermostat perhaps were damaged in shipping.

This thing is a beast! It looks amazing. The burners are amazing. It feels very solid. I am on LP so I don't know if the burners are truly 25K BTU as LP, but they are so much more capable than the 10K burner on my old LG. Water boils in half the time. Deep frying was something difficult to do on my old range, but it's amazing with the AR. Also got the wok ring and wok cooking is also pretty good.

I have only used the stove a couple times. Pre-heat times seemed reasonable and comparable to my LG. Haven't used the broiler yet. The one odd thing about the stove is that the sides, even at 375 get too hot to touch, which I didn't expect.

Overall I am very impressed and it is living up to my expectations. I think if I was in an urban area with certified vendors it would have been repaired much more quickly. They did come through and were good about getting back to me and answering my questions.

I love how the cook top is designed to be so easy to clean.

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Two quick questions for all, how high above the top of your range are you going to the bottom of your hoods? Kitchen is getting re-done shortly and want an idea of where you are hanging yours and if you would have done it any differently if doing it again.

Also, has anyone noticed any issues with tile or grout discoloration in the back without the stub back? I like the look of the island trim but want to make sure there wont be any issues with the tile backsplash.

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by Blake686 on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 0:21

• robguz24
    9 years ago

The biggest problem with the island trim is that food is going to end up falling down those little holes and there is no way to ever clean them without dismantling the range. Gross.

We placed the hood just above the height where my 6'1" partner would bang his head when cooking.

Another thing to keep in mind is this thing gets very hot, especially on the sides when the oven is on. We have bamboo flooring and it's too hot to touch. I would imagine this would damage some types of flooring.

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thought robguz24, i havent noticed how hot it gets, but I don't have my sides exposed...I wonder if that would have any ill effects on cabinets. I would assume not, given that other have these installed in their homes and I haven't read any complaints regarding this.

• omega73
    9 years ago

Has anyone else had an issue with the little rubber feet melting away, specifically next to the 25K burners. My dealer says they are aware of the problem and recommended getting some car silicon to replace them.

Anyone else have this issue and/or ideas for a fix.

I haven't had a chance to get the silicon.

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Mine are pretty close to melted away, my in laws had the same issue with their Viking. Not sure what car silicon is, like a rubber hose?

• toddrhodes
    9 years ago

Mine are completely gone by now. I notice no difference having no standoffs under the grates. They are heavy enough they do not slide on me and the only downside I can see is that I could scratch the coating on the drip tray. I haven't figured out a good workaround for that yet.

I did have to dispatch an email to AR support about my burners though. They continue to click even after a burner is lit and will not light a burner when the oven is heating up. I've pulled it out and played with the connections going into the flame sense module on the back of the range but didn't have any success there. Hopefully they get back to me soon. Honestly it's not even that big of a deal but it shouldn't do it so I will do what I can to correct it before it becomes a bigger issue. The AR Performer remains my favorite tool in the kitchen, it's a beast that can do ballet if you need :)

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Sorry for asking the same question multiple times, but any thoughts on how high above the range to place the hood? We are going with a Zephyr Tempest I.

Thanks!

• Golden David
    9 years ago

Blake the hood install specs are included in the range specs. I went with 30 inches from the range. It depends on how tall you are.

Todd, I have noticed the same issues with the continued clicking when burner is lit, as well as "no ignite" when oven is warming up. Quite annoying but as you said not a deal breaker.

The clicking i can usually stop by turning down the burner just a little bit.

• toddrhodes
    9 years ago

I keep forgetting to measure my hood clearance, Blake. Maybe I can get that done tonight. I have a Broan Elite 24" depth hood and it's worked fine for me, for whatever that's worth.

Golden - thank you, that's exactly what I do to stop the clicking if it's really getting on my nerves. I remember reading about a member who had a tech come out and they found the source to be a poor connection at the ignition sensing module. I haven't dug that deep yet and, sadly, no word back yet from AR support.

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help. The manual is a bit confusing. It state "COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL 30" TO VENTILATION HOOD" and also states "MIN 36" COOKING
    SURFACE TO COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL OR BOTTOM OF VENTILATION HOOD." Another manual states 30" min -36" max. I guess I am good either way...

Also interesting is that in the manual it recommends 600-800 CFM for the 36". Based on the BTUs I was planning on getting a 1200 CFM hood, may just stick with the 650 CFM version. Any thoughts on CFMs for this range?

Does anyone have the island back against and tile wall and has anyone had issues with discoloring the tile or grout?

Lastly, anyone have to deal with makeup air for the hood?

Thanks in advance!

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

and sorry for the caps in the last posting, was copying directly from the manuals...

• Golden David
    9 years ago

Blake get the biggest hood you can afford. You won't regret it.

• bwalinsky
    9 years ago

Thanks goldenguy, planning to get the 1200 CFM, but the 10" duct, makup air, etc, is making things a bit challenging. Nothing a little creativity (and unfortunately money) cant fix...

• robguz24
    9 years ago

My rubber feet all began to fail in the first month. Seems a pretty obvious and serious design flaw. They did send me some more for free. When those fail, I guess it might be a blessing in disguise because the burners will sit that extra 1/8" or so closer to the flames.

• omega73
    9 years ago

robguz24, I had the same problem (I mentioned it a few months ago on this thread). I brought it up with the tech who recently checked my ignitors and it seems to be an issue due to the heat of the two 25K burners. He recommended Permatex ultra black silicon used on cars, you'll have to level them obviously. I've just left them all off for now. If AR found a stronger silicon to replace the original ones and don't melt off anymore let me know and I will contact them.

• robguz24
    9 years ago

It's their product. It seems like they should stop shipping it with such a known defect. I don't think it is a burner issue in my case. It's actually the back ones that melted after the heat of using the oven. The fronts ones that I use more than any others have less damage. Minor issue overall, but is it too much to ask that a nearly $6000 range come with parts that don't melt in the first month?

• robguz24
    8 years ago

Their Yelp reviews are telling. http://www.yelp.com/biz/american-range-pacoima

• murchkid
    7 years ago

Eesh! Those most recent reviews on the other sites are scary, indeed! I was close to going with the American Range. Any recent reviews from GWers for the good of the order?

• Fori
    7 years ago

My range is okay if I ignore the manufacturer defect of someone overtightening a screw in the oven causing the enamel to crack, but the company refused to give me any support (my retailer hadn't done things properly) so I don't recommend them.

I do find that the thing is overall too damn tall for me. The base of the range sits almost an inch above the counter which is standard height and won't adjust any lower. Then the grates bring it up even taller. I'm short. This bugs me. Wouldn't bug most people. Nice oven, nice burners. I like how yo don't forget the oven is on because of all the sheet metal expansion banging. (No, really, I like that!)

• palomalou
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My Performer range has been in use daily for almost two years (plus an intermittent year prior to that). I am really happy with it and the cooking results. I have also found it light-years easier that the Wolf AG to clean. (I did not replace the Wolf, which I liked, but we moved.)

It had seemed to me that the oven might be turning on and off while in use more than in the first year lately, but perhaps not--I am also the one who suddenly looks at a mole and things, "how long has it been that color?" despite seeing it every day. Murch, I read the negative reviews you linked to. One confusion is that people will report problems with the ovens, the ranges, and the company all in one thread. The ovens seem to be more problematic than the ranges. Perhaps I have been lucky, but would not change my decision. I agree totally that the company should stand behind their products, but have not had any to deal with.

should add--the Burners do poof when extinguishing, at least the 25k, but not as much as the Wolf. But I had the older semi-open Wolf.

• John Liu
    7 years ago

My American Range ARROB636 has been in service for about five months now. Quick report:

- Burners very powerful.

- Simmer of the largest burners is not very low, but the position between "off" and "max" works as a very very low simmer, just takes a little practice. Simmer of the smallest burner is very low.

- Rubber feet melting off the grates. Doesn't seem to make any difference, the feet appear completely unnecessary.

- Fairly easy to clean. Big deep burner trays are very effective at containing boilovers and spills.

- Oven seems to preheat quickly, and heat evenly on convection. But I'm not extremely fussy about ovens. I like the ability to hold a very low temperature, which allows slow cooking in the oven.

- Oven light has burned out. I haven't gotten around to replacing the bulb yet.

- No weird noises as the oven heats. No wonky igniters.

• palomalou
    7 years ago

Ah yes, John, my oven light burned out last night after two years of daily use. Cannot find the replacement bulb description in the manual. Will have to be a task for spouse to remove it because my arms are super short. Wish they listed it.

• kaungthwin
    7 years ago

I've had my American Range Performer ARROB 636 for about 2 years now. Overall I am quite satisfied...however, if I had to do it over, I would have installed the optional backsplash (4" Stub, I think?) despite the fact that aesthetically I prefer it without: my beautiful 'china white' marble backsplash now has 2 scorch mark stripes running up vertically from the vent at the back...from a high-temp pork experiment...Pork was delicious at least. Also, the burner ignitor will sporadically start clicking for no reason - but of course not when I had a technician over, so he did nothing and it still clicks every now and again. Overall, happy with my choice though. Especially when I taste that Wok Hei...

• Fori
    7 years ago

Kaungthwin, wouldn't that just make your scorch marks 4" higher? :P

Check the kitchen forum--there should be info there on how to reduce the scorch marks on marble.

• Golden David
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I run mine with the 4" stub and no scorching or polymerized oil spatter is present on my tile backsplash. I do, however, have scorch marks on the cabinetry to the right near the top of the oven door. It's worth it for the breads and pizzas, a little annoying perhaps but I can deal with it for the power of the cooker.

Three years on this stove runs and cleans up and especially cooks like a champ and I have no regrets.

I added a stovetop griddle which at its size of 14"*24" demonstrates to me that the integrated 12" wide griddle wouldn't have been enough real estate.

• Dorys Prentice
    7 years ago

I've had my 36" Performer installed for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier either. Especially since I bought a scratch and dent model off Ebay so I didn't pay full pop. I do want to get the 4" stub back which you can buy directly from AR.

I still have to get used to the massive power of the unit but so far so good. The oven holds it's temp perfectly. I have not used the broiler yet but normally don't broil anyway so not too worried about it.

My only wish is that the grates would be 6 separate instead of 3 long ones, only because of the weight for cleaning. Also wished the oven racks would slide in and out easier but since I don't bake that much, I can live with it.