Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Range Performer - experiences of recent buyers?

Posted by basic_kim (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 7:03

I'm narrowing in on the American Range Performer ARROB430, listed for $3699 at AJMadison...
A year or so ago there were comments from people disappointed in the lack of response from the company, etc. Any recent feedback? Any turn around?
Aside from all of the obvious features, what I like about this idea is:

-open burners seem to be designed in a way that they are easy to clean
-good size oven
-can customize color/finish (though I don't know yet how much this will cost)

Is anything else in the running? Am I missing something?
Thanks to all who comment...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Range Performer - experiences of recent buyers?

Well, I don't have a range. I'm still in the deciding phase, but I did call american range yesterday and someone answered the phone and gave me the information I needed. When I had a question they couldn't answer, they connected me with a tech that could answer my questions. Then I had a follow up question that he couldn't answer and he called me an hour later with the measurement. (It was the height of a lip on a drip tray) he went to the floor measured it, called me back and gave me his direct extension if I had more questions.

I was impressed with their help. Made me put them in the serious list. :)

o

That's good to hear...thanks for sharing!
What possibilities are on your list?

o

Hmmm . . . I've kind of been all over the place. This site has helped a ton. I haven't quite decided on open or sealed burners. I'd like a 36 inch, but could do a 30 inch if the burner spacing is good. I have five kids and cook every meal at home and have real issues with my Dutch oven and 2 large cast iron pans fitting at the same time, it drives me crazy sometimes. And my kids are young, so I'll only be cooking in greater quantities.

On my short list:
American Range Performer
Thermador ProHarmony
Wolf All Gas
Bluestar

On my long list:
Kitchenaid 36 inch dual fuel pro style. The self cleaning issues kind of scared me and all the electronics.
Jennair 36 pro style, again all the electronics
Nxr 36 inch, the reviews are kind of all over on this one and the stainless top
Verona 36 inch, stainless top and burner make up

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. I'm a novice at this. What's on your list.

o

Sorry . . . Double post

This post was edited by FamCook on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 21:04

o

FamCook, The ProHarmony is standard depth. If you have trouble fitting your pans on the top, the extra depth of some of the others helps with that.

o

Fam, you will only be considered slightly weird if you bring all those pots and pans to a showroom and try them out. (Everyone loves lugging around a cast iron Dutch oven!) Paper cutouts if you're shy. But DO try them out!

If you can find them on display of course. That's the tricky part.

o

Famcook, could you share with us the questions you had for AR and how they responded?

I'm also looking at the Performer, I'm questioning the amount of time it takes for the oven to preheat and the fact that the burners seem to have too much distance between the grates.

o

Not sure what your time frames are yet but I've got a brand spankin' new ARROB636 sitting in my garage waiting for install right now.

I took delivery from a retailer in California, range was allegedly configured for high altitude, NG operation. Lead time was about 5 weeks from date of order. Arrived as scheduled via Yellow Freight Lines in great shape.

Build quality seems excellent. No sharp edges, nice heavy oven door, grates are beastly. I admit there's a bit of space between the grates and the burners but it doesn't cause me a lot of concern as all this heat will be travelling straight up out of the open burners anyway.

If you can both sit tight I should be able to post preliminary functionality reviews in about 10 days as I'll be using it for a small catering job on the 21st, assuming my GC can get his act together in time.

o

I'm sure there are others who would also love to read your remarks, goldenguy. I am certainly interested.

o

Looking forward to your review golden. I will be purchasing a stove by mid Jan at the latest. The one store that carries them had a performer hooked up to a propane tank and there was still a nice flame going. It seems really well built still pondering my choice.

o

Omega73, what is in the running, for you?
On what basis are you going to make your decision?

o

Kim, The issue for me is choice, as I mentioned in a thread (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg120919501600.html?2) I started last week about the AR Performer there aren't too many stores carrying anything besides Wolf, Viking and DCS and the consensus seems to be "stay away" from these. The one store carrying AR also sells Dacor but that doesn't seem to be a great choice either and the Culinarian is on the high end of my budget. I need to drive about 1 hour out of the city to see the Culinarian which I will eventually get around to. Does anyone know why the Performer takes over 20 minutes to preheat the oven to 350?

We've had an Electrolux gas stove (sealed burners) for the past few years and I've been pretty happy with it. The only thing that scares me is eventually the touch panel will probably give out but I'll miss the features (probe, self clean, gliding oven racks, warming drawer, door never got hot, preheats quickly, two timers on the digital display.)

o

Thanks for the link to the thread you started.
Also, if you haven't read it yet, check out this thread, which may also interest you:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1013134723284.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Inexpensive open burner ranges or cooktops

o

Is a 20 minute preheat for a range oven long?

I guess I don't even know what I don't know.

I'm also looking forward to your review, GoldenG. Hope your remodel goes in a timely manner. :)

o

Hi Fori, I don't know what the average is but my gas Electrolux currently takes just under 10 mins to get to 350F.

o

Ok, finally have the Internet back up and running. We moved a week ago and there was a delay and responding on my phone wasn't an option.

Omega73 - you had asked what questions I asked AR. I was asking how tall the lip was around the burner on the drip pan. Yes, I know, an unusual question. But after watching some YouTube videos I was curious how big it was since each of the pans come out individually instead of a large drip pan that pulls out. The tech went to the floor and measured the l lip and called me back and gave me his direct extension in case I had other questions. Oh yes, and I asked about the top, which was stainless and which was black, since I can't see them in a showroom here. They offered to work with a preferred appliance dealer as long as they paid up front. I was impressed at how easy it was to talk to someone.

Hope that helps! I'd like to read a thorough review since I have to decide soon.

o

My 2 cents on the "20 minute oven preheat" question:

I think 20 minutes is very decent preheating time. There is a difference between preheating the air in the oven (which can happen quickly) and preheating the oven walls and floor (which takes a while but which is the majority of the heating for baking and roasting.)

o

I thought 20 minutes seemed sensible, especially for such a large oven. I never pay attention to how long my current ovens take (and don't tell my mother, but I usually get impatient and don't wait for it to preheat anyway).

o

"Posted by omega73
there aren't too many stores carrying anything besides Wolf, Viking and DCS and the consensus seems to be "stay away" from these.

Interesting, who are the individuals that make up this consensus?

In evaluating preheating I would have a separate thermometer in the middle of the oven. Some ovens will indicate they are preheated while they may be at least 50 degrees away. It might take a few more cycles to bring it up. Others might over shoot before they indicate the oven is at temperature.

Agree with JW that it takes additional time to stabilize the mass of the oven. I usually allow another 30 minutes if I am baking, but that is just an arbitrary number. If you have a convection oven with a fan only, it will stabilize a little faster if you run the fan during preheat because of the increase in heat transfer with air movement and it will tend to keep the air in the oven a more uniform temperature therefore heating the sides and bottom more evenly. Electric ovens with a third element will also incorporate that element to speed the preheating. BS also has a range with a gas burner around the fan to decrease the time allowed to preheat. There are some oven that advertise no need to preheat but the circumstances are limited for this and you can do that in any oven.

o

It seems to be the consensus on this board, especially for Viking maybe less so on the Wolf.

o

" Posted by omega73
It seems to be the consensus on this board, especially for Viking maybe less so on the Wolf."

I would disagree that there is a consensus on this board about those three brands or any other brands. The connotation of consensus is that there is general agreement. There might be a lot of complaints about Viking but there are still people who like theirs. I have heard few complaints about DCS at all. Most of the complaints on Wolf at least now revolve around the blue enamel and the AG ranges don't have that. There are few complaints about them. BS and CC have had complaints too but I would not necessarily tell people to stay away from them or any other range. I would say there are very few things if any that have a consensus on this board. We like to argue all the pros and cons but if you have to be a little careful saying there is a consensus of board members saying to stay away from a certain brand(s) unless you can show that there is a consensus. It would be good to give very specific reasons why someone would avoid the brand maybe quoting people who actually own and have had experience with a given appliance if you want to make that case. When you tell about your experience with Electrolux that is invaluable for people considering that brand.

o

I said 'consensus' not 'unanimous', maybe "consensus" was the wrong word but there are definitely quite a few negative comments out there. One would have to go through all the posts, divide up the negative and positive and do a scientific study. I'm not going to be the one that will attempt that, lol.

I used the word consensus because from what I have read on here it seems there were more negative than positive. I'm sure some were 2nd and 3rd hand complaints but that's what I got out of it.

I started going through some older posts and was going to post some of the negative comments (but I'm not) because I don't want this thread to go off topic. Of course you would be able to find positive comments and we would just end up going back and forth for the sole reason of explaining the word "consensus".

There will never be unanimous support for any one specific product and the internet will always attract more negative than positive commenting.

Anyway, I have not totally ruled out Viking/Wolf but this thread was to get more info on American Range.

o

"Posted by omega73
One would have to go through all the posts, divide up the negative and positive and do a scientific study. I'm not going to be the one that will attempt that, lol."

If you make a statement "the consensus seems to be "stay away" from these" you would need to back that up with something. At a minimum, you should reference who is making up the consensus and how you reached that conclusion. Rather than looking at complaints, you would have to poll the board and ask the question, "Would you advise people to stay away from this brand?". Many people post about a problem looking for help but it is a leap to say that they mean to stay away from a certain brand. There have been many postings about the simmer problems on the CC being too high for some, but in most cases it was resolved and I doubt many of those posters mean stay away from the brand.

"I used the word consensus because from what I have read on here it seems there were more negative than positive. I'm sure some were 2nd and 3rd hand complaints but that's what I got out of it."

This is why I questioned the use of the word.

"I started going through some older posts and was going to post some of the negative comments (but I'm not) because I don't want this thread to go off topic. Of course you would be able to find positive comments and we would just end up going back and forth for the sole reason of explaining the word "consensus"."

I don't believe there is a consensus on anything on this board so I would not be trying to prove it especially going back and forth with other's subjective opinions.
As to explaining consensus, I would go with the dictionary definition of consensus.
"a general agreement about something : an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group"

"Anyway, I have not totally ruled out Viking/Wolf but this thread was to get more info on American Range."

I am just commenting on something you brought up.

o

We have decided to go with a 36" American Range Performer for our remodel. We have been all over the map during our decision-making process - Blue Star, Wolf, NXR, Bertazzoni - it has not been an easy decision! We were definitely swayed by things we read on GW - particularly those relative to the NXR and Blue Star.

What clinched it for us was seeing the American Range Performer in a local showroom, right next to a Wolf. Plenty of btu's, a 3 year manufacturer's warranty and definitely a plus to have the open burners (vs Wolf). Features are great too - heavy duty cast-iron grates, lift off burners, removable burner pans, spill catcher tray, and plenty of room in the oven. We really wanted a range that had little to no electronic components and the AR ticks that box as well.

We will be adding the $325 4" SS stub back (which seems expensive for what you are getting but not sure what else we can do when the range will be up against a wall).

It will be a couple months before we are up and running but we will report back once we start using this range.

Good luck to all on your decision making process!

o

Because writing is an effort, and motivation is going to be higher when complaining or looking for a solution than it will be to gush how wonderful one's new oven is, if there were a consensus of writers at this site it would not represent either the entire readership or the public at large. Hence "scientific" (really actuarial) analysis of posts will not be a valid measure of stove manufacturers' problem statistics.

To wax philosophical for a moment: If a company is manufacturing high-end equipment, it is not manufacturing for the mass market. The number of units that can realistically be projected to be sold will be modest. No price that most of the targeted buyers would pay is sufficient at the quantity to be manufactured to support the scope of the various engineering disciplines that need to be applied to design and fabricate a "mil-spec" highly reliable oven using best available components and materials. As a result, designs may not be fully analyzed, production may not be fully engineered, production QA may be limited, etc., with the result that complaints emerge that have to be weighted against whatever feature was considered so important that a mass-market oven wouldn't do.

At the other end of the spectrum, the lower priced mass-market items are sold in a quantity that can support significant engineering. But these engineers have as their first requirement minimizing production cost and warranty cost, while achieving a functional design. The ovens only need to last for the warranty period, plus some period deemed sufficient to avoid bad PR (a period that has been shrinking with time, methinks).

I believe that the hardest thing for a wanna-be specialty oven manufacturer to do is to determine how he can afford to sell what he wants to build, that is, what compromises he has to make to be in business. We, at the tail-end of this process who have to fund it, should not be surprised at the appearance of flaws. You want pretty blue instead of 100 year old black speckle, then don't be surprised by an unexpected flaw revealing itself. You want a control system with more computing power than the entire world in 1950, then don't be surprised by lower reliability than yer grandma's gas oven of the same period.

kas

o

So as I wrote earlier I had my ARROB-636 installed and functional for a catering job this past weekend. Since this thread has taken a bit of a tangent, I'll try to put together a full review and photos in a new thread once backsplash and cabinet hardware installation is complete, but here are my first impressions:

As I knew from showroom and from playing with it in my garage, the build quality, heft, and fit/finish of this appliance is awesome. I love the heavy duty feel and look of the stove.

Functionally, the open burners are great. I was able to cook 2.5 lbs shaved steak for a philly cheesesteak empanada dish on the big burner with minimal stewing, which to me is very impressive. I have no concerns remaining about the distance from burner to grate. Will try to do some wokking before posting my review thread.

The oven seems great. Initial burnoff produced some funky smells but I haven't smelled anything since then.

Initial broiler burnoff went well also, however the top of the oven seemed to warp a bit under the thermal shock and one corner of the broiler assembly popped free from its installation. I'm not sure how worried I should be about this, but it didn't seem to affect the broiler operation. The broiler heat is out of control. I don't have an IR thermometer to check the 1800 degrees claim but it blows away anything I've ever used domestically before.

The auto-ignite feature on the burners is awesome too, it's really nice to just be able to turn the knob to your desired setting and have the stove light, rather than fussing around with holding down a knob at a particular setting until the burner ignites like for example on a Bertazzoni range, or any other range with a "light" setting on the knob.

Didn't make much of mess this weekend so I can't speak to cleanup.

Convection fan is not very loud, it's quieter than my vent hood on the low setting.

So far so good! I'll try to keep GW updated in my new thread if anything changes about my impressions on this appliance.

o

Oh and for anyone curious the broiler definitely allows open-door operation, despite what I've seen posted (maybe from the range specs?), it didn't turn off with the door open, and ran constantly.

o

Thanks, Golden! I'll will have mine (30 in though) installed Friday. We can both post!

o

Goldenguy - thank you so much for your initial review. I was hesitant due to lack of actual users detailing use. This is so helpful! I'm going to talk to my appliance dealer this weekend. What kind of hood did you install with the 36 inch?

Palomalou - can't wait to hear what you think. What kind of hood are you installing with your 30 inch?

Thanks again!

o

I installed a 36 inch, 24 inch deep hood from Z-Line kitchens (therangehoodstore.com) with nominal 1000CFM. The capture area is about even with the edge of the front burners.

Haven't seared any steaks yet but it seems to pull pretty well.

o

Oy veh! Received this today:
"Please understand customer service is our top priority. We strive in customer satisfaction. We value every customer and appreciate their business.

Unfortunately, your order will not be delivered on 12/27/13 as requested. As per American Range, the range that you ordered is scheduled to be released in two weeks. It is currently on nationwide backorder with American Range. The manufacturer only releases products when production is completed. This particular model has been delayed in production, which caused it to be delayed in shipment. Unfortunately, this is something that we do not have control over.

Please understand that you are on the top of our allocation list. Once the item becomes available, your entire order will be released immediately for shipment.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Once again, we apologize for this inconvenience."
Oh well. Yet again, one should not count unhatched chicks.
We are installing a Summit, http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SEH36.html. Max power we could find that would do recirculating, which, alas, we must have.

o

Suggest ensuring that your replacement filter pipeline is fully functional.

I would be very interested in learning how many seared steaks or pounds of fried bacon it takes to deplete the charcoal filters of this unit. You are not alone, palomalou, in being limited to a recirculating hood, and sometimes those of us fortunate enough to vent outside, but needing to respond to questions from those who can't, can make use of valid data provided by others with different experience.

kas

o

Sorry Palomalou to read about this delay for you, just now...
What a disappointment! I hope for the best, once your range arrives, and hope you will share the outcome with us...

Thanks to others too, who have contributed to this thread...

o

I'm picking appliances for a kitchen remodel and have read many great observations re: high end products on GW. I just called AR re: their French door gas oven (AROFG-30) for a few questions but the sales rep had zero knowledge but she immediately transferred me to tech support. I also told her that I'm the contractor (I am) doing the final product selection and install, that always helps. The tech was great, he mentioned that the electric ovens have an up-grade coming out as I told him AR was getting bad comments re: uneven baking. I got the feeling that it is not clear when the upgrade is coming or what it is. I'm only interested in the gas oven. He told me there have been no complaints re: the AROFG-30; if anyone has any complaints re: this oven plz let me know. AR now has a 3 year parts/labor warranty but you may have trouble getting service if you live in a "remote area". I'm now in Silicon Valley and the service co. has to come from near Oakland (across from San Francisco, a 45 mi trip). The tech gave me the feeling that was about as far as the service co. would go. I think you should find out who does the service for AR before you buy.
I looked at a BS cooktop at a dealer and the comments about the igniters being unprotected made sense so I'm going with a Capital Culinarian cook top. The burners look much more protected. Has anyone had any complaints about the CC burners? I will give their tech support a call before I purchase that product and see what they will give up.

o

@ Hans you may want to start your own thread, probably won't get a lot of traction in this one about CC or BS.

Couple more items I've noticed about my ARPS in the last couple days:

1. the oven makes quite a bit of noise while running/cycling. There's a metal boom sound every 20 minutes or so even running at 250, and it's not limited to preheat/cool down. It seems to happen while the oven is on in general. Maybe this will cease the longer I use it? it's a little annoying.

2. The infrared ceramic broiler is awesome. It's not very big, but I seared the daylights out of a fat ribeye with it. Very nice.

3. Simmer performance is excellent. Using the large 25K burner on "simmer" I kept a large pan of mashed potatoes piping hot with no scorching for over an hour while I was working on that ribeye. There's a little "flickering" on some of the outer ring gas orifices of the burner but it seemed to lessen once the burner was running for a while.

o

I have learned so much from Garden Web over the past 18 months planning our kitchen remodel; it's time to give back. After much research, we selected a 36 inch American Range Performer. We had it installed two days before hosting 34 people for Thanksgiving! Since then we've thrown numerous dinner parties (we were starved for our friends after 6 months of exile in remodel land). Two words - LOVE IT! At first I was concerned about the distance between the burners and the top of the grates. My concerns are gone. The heat control from high to simmer is amazing. Love the room for my big Lodge dutch oven and frying pan. The only down side is the grates are heavy when you want to clean.

@goldenguy - I have had no noise whatsoever when using the oven or broiler. I am wondering if your unit is completely level ( front to back and side to side)?

o

@hans I'm interested to know what will be involved in the upgrade with regards to the electric double wall oven.

I am currently trying to decide between double wall ovens by AR, Thermador and Viking, but am leaning towards the AR because of the gorgeous french doors. Viking apparently has a french door model coming out, but I don't know how soon.

I'm looking to purchase within the next month. Would love it if the upgrade came out soon.

o

@moe5474, I'm only looking at all gas ovens, cooktops, etc., as electricity cost are going to double by 2020 in Calif. and they are outrageous now. Anyway, I like the idea of a French door oven as pulling 1 door handle opens both doors. The drop down door on a reg. oven reduces walk by space. I have seen a Blue Star French door oven but it was not operational and it looked alright, but the AR now has a 3 year parts/labor warranty. Weight is the biggest issue for a retro-fit commercial type oven. The single French door AR oven's shipping weight is 306lbs so you may need to add some blocking in old cabinets (easy for a skilled person). The major issue with an oven change out in existing cabinetry is the opening. The is no such thing as a standard opening so if you have to change the size of the hole for the new oven you will need a very skilled contractor. You may have to move the electrical j-box in the back wall and the gas line if a gas unit. Note that all commercial type appliances OK for residential use are zero clearance by the Code or UL. I would be careful of getting an AR electric oven until they get their up-grade parts out to fix an uneven baking problem. The factory tech support person told me they have no complaints with uneven baking in the gas oven(s). If someone has had a problem with their gas ovens plz post and I will give them another call and see what they have to say.

o

Great to hear Sandilou. Does the simmer get low even on the 25K burners?

o

Simmer is pretty decently low on my 25K burner. Significantly below a boil. That's all I can really ask for.

o

Range turned "rightside up" & focused

Gary

o

looks great Gary.

o

The grates are too high on the performer. They are 2=3/4 inchs above the burners. If you turn a grate upside down it will put the grate 1-1/2 inchs above the burner. It will now boil water on a large burner 25 to 30 percent faster. This is wasting a lot of btu and negating the whole reason for the high output burners. Why are my burners rated at 22000 btu and not 25000 btu?

o

figoman, does the documentation say anything about inverting the grates, yay or nay? It's an interesting idea, especially for water boiling.

o

How is it wasting btu? Where do the btus go?

o

I just purchased a 30" Performer, likely won't have it up and running for a couple weeks or so but I am beyond excited :) I will report back once I have some experience with it. I'm no chef but I enjoy cooking immensely and tend to prefer high heat. Methinks I'll have more than I will know what to do with on that 25k burner.

o

Sandilou
That range looks fabulous in your kitchen! I want to come see it IRL! Seriously. What 'back' did you get on the Performer. I would love to see a closeup pic of the 'back' where it meets the tile on your backspash. Did you tile behind the range? Below the top of the range? I am getting the same, but in black, with white cabs, soapstone and want to tile the rangehood too but with soapstone tile.
Would love a closeup of the rangehood from all directions too. My tile guy has not done this before. What hood insert did you get?
Can you light the range with a match? This seems to be a no-no with AR.
Thanks and enjoy your beautiful range.

o

FWIW I tried inverting the grates yesterday. On the 25k burner set to high, the flames fanned out and around the edges of my 10" cast iron skillet.

Maybe it would work better on a 12" skillet. Or maybe, just maybe, AR engineered the grates to be elevated for a reason.

o

Goldenguy, do you find the elevated grates to take away from the maximum heat from your early experiences with it?

How long does it take to boil a 5 quart pot of water with the lid on?

o

Omega, it's really hard to say. The heat output of these burners dwarfs anything I've worked with before. Like I said in response to figmoman above, the grates may be elevated but that doesn't mean necessarily that the heat is escaping outwards or to the room. Especially since the open burners are oriented straight up, not outwards.

In re your second question I suppose I could time it but I'm not sure if that would be helpful to you. Differences in elevation, pan composition, and water starting temperature will make comparison difficult.

o

For what it's worth, I reached out to AR Service to see if they have any local, certified factory-trained service people just in case. For my area, they do not, however the person on the phone (I didn't get his name, dangit) was extremely candid and helpful. I mentioned that I found a local place who is coming out this weekend to quote me on installing the hood and possibly moving the gas pipe and the AR service person requested that I put that person in touch with AR so they could potentially be a certified, local tech. So far so good with communicating with AR!

Todd

o

Forgot to mention, I had to leave a voicemail yesterday but they got back to me early today which is great, in my opinion.

o

It may be that the grates are higher to accommodate taller flame cones from higher BTU burners and that it allows the pan to set just above or at the hottest part of the flame. It seems that way in this video.
American Performer range 25K BTU burner

On the simmer side this might be helpful in getting a lower amount of heat to the pan by increasing the distance flame to pan.

I am interested in hearing how the oven is as I am looking to replace my Wolf DF.

o

Sigh..... to be installed March 4. Not dealer problem--range not to be released until next week, but we will be gone for 6 weeks. My report will follow in due time.

o

As for wasting BTU, wasting gas and time would be a better statement. If it takes 25 to 30 percent longer to boil the same pot of water it will use that much more gas and time.

o

idk what to tell you figmoman. If it's a problem for you, you could take an angle grinder to the grate feet. Or get an induction burner for speed?

o

I'm interested in the AR Performer as well but see the warranty as 1 year, not 3 as a couple of you have quoted.

Am I missing something, or is this something the dealer is offering in addition to AR's warranty?

http://www.americanrangeresidential.com/support/warranty-information/

o

Could any of you with the griddle tell me how it performs?
Also, how about the broiler?
Does the convection cook evenly?

I am shopping for a different range and these are some of the issues I have with my current range.

o

Any new updates on the Performer?

o

Here's my thread on the one I just received, so far (10 hours and some change into our courtship), I am in love:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0113573816192.html?8715

Not a chef, just love to cook for my wife and I. We eat in about 6 times a week so this was more an investment than a toy.

o

Had my GC level the range back to front. Ran the oven at 400 last night for a couple hours. It's less noisy, but still making some noise as it cycles.

o

Todd, are you getting the same noises from the oven that goldenguy is hearing?

o

I actually am having a bit of buzzing from the front/bottom. The range is pretty level, I checked it with my torpedo level on ever grate both north/south and east/west and I have the bubble in the middle everywhere except the front right where the edge of the bubble is touching the "line." So it's off by about 1-2mm. Mine is really only noticeable with the convection fan enabled.

That said, the range it replaces sounded awful, it was loud enough it was hard to talk over with the oven turned on. So this little buzzing sound? Doesn't bother me in the least but that's just me.

o

I took another pass at leveling the range yesterday after using my longer level from the basement. It was off by about 2mm left to right so I fixed that. I baked a pizza last night and had no issues with any noise outside of the whir of the convection fan. I also made a thai beef stir fry in my new carbon steel pan on the 25k burner. Unreal how well that turned out. I've never cooked food so fast and in that manner ever before. Fresh green peppers, onions, and mushrooms, were caramelized and soft in what felt like a minute, maybe 2. I can't stop cooking, it's actually starting to annoy my wife :)

o

"I can't stop cooking, it's actually starting to annoy my wife :)"

LOL....ah they are never happy.

I'm most likely going with the Performer, we're in the midst of kitchen gut so it will still be 4-6 weeks.

o

Since leveling the range, I've not had any issues with any noises or rattling or anything.

I was getting some ticking on the lowest simmer settings from the igniters. Really wasn't sure how to fix that but it was plain as day once I took a knob off. There's a flathead adjustment screw behind the knob and I was able to get all burners working perfectly now. The 25k burners were the worst offenders, just not enough airflow at the lowest settings.

I've made a ton of food in the last several days (see attached for a pizza from yesterday), I am so spoiled now, it's ridiculous. The open burners are so easy to keep clean. I just don't really know what else to say. If you have 3700 to spend on a range, this one should garner very serious consideration.

o

Hi All,

I just ordered an American Range Performer in 36", was between a CC, BS. American won because of looks mostly, BS was too rugged, CC to bloated looking. My wife was also very happy about the way the pan is set around the burners, so it is not completely open and easier to clean. I'm not sure I buy that its easier to clean, but I'm happy with the choice and looking forward to the install.

I did call American to ask about the burner height, and got a very helpful person on the phone. She said the burner height is intentional, and is set that way to emulate their commercial ranges, and to protect your cookware from getting destroyed. Not sure how much truth their is to that, but makes reasonable sense.

I do have a few questions.

1. What type of cookware is best to use with a range like this? I use mostly All Clad stainless currently, any benefit to switching to carbon steel?

2. The hood we are looking to get is the Zephyr Tempest I. The main reasoning is I'm not sure our configuration will work with a taller 18" hood, and the Tempest I comes with an optional 1200 CFM blower. The downside is that it is only 22.5" deep. Is this going to be a problem? I was thinking of going 42" wide to get a bit more capture, but not sure we have the space for that either. What is the downside to getting this hood that is only 22.5" deep? Grease buildup in the front and potential smoke in the room? Will the 1200 cfm help at all?

Anyone know any other options for hoods that are shorter that 18" but 24" deep?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

o

Got the bat signal via gmail... hopefully i can give you a little insight.

I was very... anal about the install on mine. I did everything myself, including updating the gas line to allow me to push the range back as much as possible. Our old range stuck out, the American stuck out more and was unsightly because of how they plumbed our line. I can still do more but am satisfied for now. Even sticking out from my cabinets about .75", it's just about 25" to the front of the cooking grate so a 24" hood should work well, and a shorter one at 22" is going to get 95% of what comes off your pans, I think. We picked the hood I linked to, a Broan Elite, and it is listed as being 18 * 24:

I will recirc it until warmer weather shows up so we can vent out through the roof.

I have a variety of cookware I've used so far:

12" lodge cast iron skillet
23 x 14 chef king griddle
10" DeBuyer Mineral B carbon fry pan (I love this thing and it is my go to)
several calphalon 1.5q and 3q sauce pans
And even the tiny little butter melter pan I have, it can't be more than 5" wide across the bottom.

The simmer burner (front-left) shoots a jet of blue flame straight up. The flame "tunnel" is probably 2" wide or so, I'd guess. Because of that tight tunnel, I can get away with any pan I own on the front burner, even the little 5-incher.

If you're going to use the big 25k burners, you need a 10" pan minimum or it'll start creeping up the sides. Even on the 18k which is the same overall dimensions as the 25k, you'll get flames up the side of a 3Q sauce pan at full tilt. Back it down just a hair and you're fine.

You may get ticking at simmer out of the box, just remove the knobs and there's a little screw behind the knob to adjust airflow.

FWIW, I don't have all-clad, but I do have two nice Calphalon tri-ply fry pans that are just sitting in the basement now after getting the Mineral B. I used the 25k burner on the AR to get some crisco up to almost 600* to season, and I've seasoned it a few times in the oven. If I really scrub at it, I can get the seasoning to give but with even the littlest amount of fat in the pan, nothing sticks to this thing. I've tried raw bacon, no fat, and as soon as it cooks up for a minute or two, it slides freely. I seared some plain beef strips for a thai stir fry with a little peanut oil the other night with one of the big burners going full out. Dumped in my beef and... it just stuck. So I have a nearly 500* pan with raw beef stuck to it. I panicked for a second and thought... just wait. I've never cooked with this kind of heat before. In about a minute I shook the pan and to my delight, the meat released, I tossed it over and it was a perfect brown, a texture on the outside I've never even come close to. Cooked the other side for a minute and we had perfectly browned beef outside, nice and pink on the inside. These were just 1/4 x 1/4 strips of beef.

Ok I've rambled way too long and now I'm hungry. Sorry about that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan Elite hood

o

Thank you for the response.

I have an installer coming from where I bought it to perform the install, and they have said they will be able to get it flush based on the setup I have.

I may take the plunge with the 22.5" hood because it really fits my needs. I see the hood you have is only 600 CFM, is it pulling enough air? I am planning on getting 1200 CFM.

I may order the DeBuyer as well, any thoughts on a good wok?

i am coming from a Kennmore electric that is on its last legs, so this may take some getting used to, but will be great once we get comfortable with it.

o

AR's manual states 500 cfm is recommended for the 30" so I feel much better about my choice knowing that. I took a bit of a leap on that...

For a wok, I'd suggest one of the hand-hammered versions from e-woks.com They take awhile to deliver but they are supposedly the real deal if I can believe reviews from here and chowhound. They are full carbon steel and can come with two handles or a long wooden one. I'll be picking up the long wooden one after a bit. I am not certain, however, about the wok ring. I may just get AR's ring or try a universal one.

If you get a Mineral B, I'd go for the 12". I got the 10" and it's easy to work but since these things are heavy, they get unwieldy quick. With that said, the 10" is pretty small. I'll probably get the 14" at some point for searing multiple steaks or chops at the same time. Flipping that guy will take more time at the gym, I believe :)

o

Thanks for the replies and advice, I am going to go ahead and order a Mineral B pan so I can have it when the range gets here, hopefully this Friday.

o

" Posted by Blake686
I did call American to ask about the burner height, and got a very helpful person on the phone. She said the burner height is intentional, and is set that way to emulate their commercial ranges, and to protect your cookware from getting destroyed.
"

I believe it is intentional but they would have to give me more of an explanation how it is protecting my cookware. The whole point of the high BTU burner is heat.

"What type of cookware is best to use with a range like this? I use mostly All Clad stainless currently, any benefit to switching to carbon steel?

I would match the cookware to what you are trying to cook and the type of heat you need.
Cast iron and steel do not transfer heat as well but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Since it holds heat, it gets hot in the middle or where the flame touches and is great for searing meat. If seasoned it becomes nonstick. Some people don't use it for acidic food as it can impart a taste to the food.
Cookware of heavy aluminum and copper will transfer heat very well producing even temperatures across the cooking surface. If you are using a pan bigger than what would fit the burner, you will still have even heat.
AC has several lines. I have 6 and 8qt LTD stock pots that are anodized aluminum lined in stainless that I have had for years. They also make other plied cookware and it is unknown what the exact composition. Try yours out and see how they do.

There is a lot to know about cookware. One of the biggest things is to understand the properties of the metal the pan is made of.

I learned a lot from this forum.
Chowhound cookware forum

These are great articles.

Common Materials of Cookware

Understanding Stovetop Cookware

o

Thanks for the info wekick, I have a lot of reading to do...

I may invest in a few different types of pans depending on the type of cooking I am doing. Now to figure out which hood to get...

o

Blake, I'm looking at the Vent a Hood, it seems to have good feedback on here. Any other suggestions.

o

So I have to relay this story - I hope it doesn't discourage anyone and with absolute, full disclosure - I bought a floor model so this is likely not indicative of what other owners should expect but hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Tonight my AR Perf 30 (nicknamed: The eye of Sauron per facebook) let me down twice. The first time was the most troubling. I was simmering a sauce on the low power burner (left front) with the oven going. I've done this several times now without issue as one would expect. Tonight though, inexplicably the left rear started trying to ignite. At first I thought it was the simmer burner clicking but it was not, hoping for a simple fix (airflow adjustment behind the knob). I shut everything down including the oven for about a minute. During the cooldown I tried lighting any burner on the cooktop and nothing would ignite, even on the right side which I hadn't even been using. The oven lit fine during this time. When I would try to re-light the front left simmer burner, the back left would click. What the hell? I never did figure that out at the time. But after cooling down for a minute or so, everything started working fine and I was able to finish dinner. Dinner was a fine meal tonight, tilefish and yellow fin tuna with a Bourbon glaze for anyone interested.

The second thing was that darn rattling came back. I figured once I properly leveled Sauron (lol) it wouldn't come back. But it did. 'Tis the day I've had, folks. Anyway, it only showed up once I started the convection fan and disappeared quickly but still, it's annoying and I was already in a pissy mood about the burners.

Fast forward to this evening and I'm curious and armed with a flashlight. This is actually when I found the cause to problem numbers #1 and #2 and when I discovered a third problem. The third problem, yet undisclosed so far, is that I was missing a screw in one of the burner rails. It wasn't freewheeling in the drip tray or anything, it just flat out never existed. I chalk this one up to floor-model buying. I was able to replace the screw, no issues.

The problem with #1 was a partially melted ignitor wire to the front left burner. Easily fixed with a 1" piece of electrical tape, it should not be an issue going forward. I partially blame this on problem #3 as the whole assembly for the lefthand burners was cocked in a way it shouldn't be. Again - floor model purchase, I knew what I was getting into and my $800 off is still justified. So I repaired the wire with a bandaid which should be fine for the long run but I added a zip tie to keep it away from any hot metals going forward.

So now the complicated one to explain - the rattling. It's complicated to explain because it's a matter of the piece of metal at the very bottom of the front of the range. It appears to be one piece that is curved, folded, and molded to be the absolute bottom of the appliance. The issue is that the very outer edges of this piece are not fixed to anything. The top and upper corners of the piece are, but they don't provide enough structure to keep the very outer edges from banging into the "frame" of the range. This, too, was easily fixed.

We use those 3M Command storage hooks in several different places of the house. I have a link to what I'm talking about below. The beauty of 3M is they give an extra adhesive strip in every package so I took one of those, cut in half, and used each half on each side of the bottom of the range to adhere the base metal piece to the frame. This is an area that sees little to no heat so I don't see how this will fail but if it does, I'll update the forum.

I truly hope this helps someone. I'm not at all disappointed with having to perform this kind of operation on my newly minted range. It's actually making me far more familiar with it than I would have expected and I try to be as handy with this sort of thing as possible so I find it quite the hobby. And for the last time - again - I bought this unit sight unseen, as a floor model, and we don't have any reputable AR service folks around. I love learning and can only hope what I've learned comes in handy to someone else.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M Command hooks

o

I should also point out - this is why I am deeply appreciative of this forum. I had no idea about AR, BlueStar, Capital, FiveStar, et al. The simple nature of the Garland open burner design is that i can have the entire cooktop disassembled in less than a minute if I need to dissect the thing to troubleshoot an issue. My issue with the burner came down to a short which was easily identified with a bit of observation. If this were a sealed burner range, I think I'd be in for a service call. Also, and this is embarrassing, but having never had this type of range I didn't know the drip tray was the drip tray, so I stored it downstairs. After reading a semi-related post about a BlueStar and the drip tray, I put two and two together, lined the thing with foil and installed it last night. My guess is that is what caused the short to show up suddenly - previously there had been no metal under there to contact with. I am most definitely learning a lot with this range, mostly good things!

o

Sorry to hear about your problems, keep us posted on how the 3M tape works.

Omega, I looked at VAH as well, but the Zephyr seems a better fit because of the size for me. There are not many under cabinet hoods out there with good capture area. The Tempest I is the closest thing. I also looked at Modernaire, Best by Broan, and Kobe. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

I am getting installed tomorrow, so I will report back once I've had a few runs on it.

o

I will tell you my sad tale with my AR double oven. I have had it installed almost exactly 5 months and this week, the heating element in the top oven went out. The oven will not heat above 250 degrees, as the broiler element is all that will come on. About six weeks ago, I realized the broiler element on the bottom oven comes on intermittently during the baking process, so anything that needs to cook at above 375 degrees will burn on the top in that oven. So now I have two ovens--one that won't heat and one that overheats, both due to faulty heating elements.

I also live in what is considered a remote area of Texas, so a repairman will have to come out of San Antonio or Houston. Our premium appliance dealer does not normally carry AR, but we were sold on them and told the store we didn't want their Thermador, Viking, or Wolf applicances. We wanted an American Range, so they worked with the distributor to get one for us. Sigh.

My all electric double oven weighs 597 lbs. It is a beautiful, beautiful piece of metal that truly doesn't have many bells and whistles (not even a timer), which is one of the reasons I found it so attractive--fewer electronics issues (I drive a German car that can almost drive itself but it also is in the shop every other month for some sensor or another). I felt sure that this American-made oven would be the answer to my prayers. It has not been. I am livid that a $6,000 appliance cannot last more than 5 months. I have a party for 50 people in three weeks and have no idea what I'm going to do. I will be contacting them as soon as they open in California tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to what I am told.

o

Trinity, that sounds awful - sorry to hear about your issues and I hope they get resolved quickly for you.

So I completely missed the "warm" position on the oven knob... I can confirm it will hold 150* for 30 minutes and most likely much longer, that's just as long as I've been proofing my cinnamon roll dough this morning. I thought the lowest it would go is 200* but I was wrong. Our kitchenaid could only go as low as 170* and that was, in my opinion, too high for a "warm" function.

o

Trinity: your post just made my heart drop. I was hoping the double ovens were okay.

We need a new double oven and I have been eyeing the Thermador 30 In Pro series, the new Viking with french doors (hasn't come out quite yet) and the AR with french doors.

I don't want lots of bells and whistles or electronic key pads. I just want knobs that don't tend to break as easily. This is why the AR was so attractive.

It gets rave reviews from various stores I talk to but after reading your post I'm terrified to pull the trigger. The last thing I need is a 600 lb oven that's not going to stand the test of time.

When I asked my repairman who fixes anything else we have issues with what his opinion was, he thought that it was great the AR was built like a tank but that fixing anything would be a nightmare. He said it's so heavy that it would cost a fortune just to pull it out and evaluate everything :(

o

I'm new to the forum. I am so glad I found it! :D

We're in the middle of adding a new kitchen, DR and home office. I love the way the American Range French Door Double Wall ovens look. If we go with them, (I have to admit the $8,000 price tag makes my colon seize - hence the 'if' factor) we'll go with gas. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I thank you in advance for your time and help. :D

o

Blake, did you finally install the Tempest by Zephyr? I don't think I'm going to go with the VAH anymore, see a recent post I have going on. VAH is recommending 24-27", I find 27" to be too low and VAH themselves say if you install it higher you will not get the same efficiency out of it. What hoods are the other AR Performer owners using out there.

o

Hi Omega,

Unfortunately we haven't made a hood decision yet. We had some issues with the range, mostly on the dealer/salesman end. They delivered the wrong range the day of delivery, so then talked my wife into a floor model which had some issues. They are coming out this Friday to replace it with a brand new one, but we need to decide if we want to deal with this dealer for the hood or go elsewhere, their communication has been horrible.

The good news is the range itself is great, the burners get very hot and cook much better than any other range I have cooked on.

Keep me posted on the direction you decide to go, the Tempest is still our #1.

o

I wanted to post an update on some of my experiences - so far, I really can't find anything to complain about. I am down to nitpicky stuff - the burner knobs aren't as smooth as I'd like when turning them, they have a little too much resistance so sometimes dialing them in to very fine adjustments is more difficult than it should be. Sometimes I get a burner that clicks when not in use and i'm using the burner in front of it. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's a bit annoying. That's all I've got.

My double-sided tape idea has held up great, the stove hasn't made a peep since I installed that on the lower skirt. I had friends over on Friday night and had the oven at 500 and the broiler on for the better part of 2 hours - no issues whatsoever.

I've turned out some actual, restaurant-quality Thai food using the heat from the 25k burner to crisp the edges of wide rice noodles for Pad Kee Mow (drunkin noodles). The oven thermostat is dead-nuts accurate. I put it at 350 on the knob, it sits at 350 until I tell it to stop. I hardly see my oven thermometer move off the final temp. I've baked Ken Forkish's bread in a dutch oven, just did a dutch oven pot roast today with mashed potatoes, a roux gravy and pan-fried green beans. I feel as if I've put this thing through a ton of use over the last 6 weeks and it doesn't blink. It cleans up super easy and just makes consistently great food but for user error on a couple of occasions.

We did get our Broan Elite hood installed, we absolutely love it but have to recirculate it for now until the roof thaws out. As soon as we have a proper day to install the external vent, it'll be done. My center grate from Appliances Connection should be here soon as well, pretty excited for that. So yea, that's about all I can think of, my honeymoon has not ended yet :)

o

Sounds good Todd, can't wait for mine. House renos can't finish quick enough. From what I've been told, the extra burners sparking may be due to the wiring situation of your electrical outlet. What's the deal with your outlet? Maybe dated?

o

Very interesting. The outlet isn't dated at all, the house was built 8 and a half years ago, we are the only owners. Given the very light amp load of this particular stove, I never really even thought that could be a cause. I notice it with a lot of larger pans that, at least in my imagination, causes the flame to spread out more, not sure if that really makes sense. It doesn't happen often enough to actually bother me, just a slight nuisance. I'm probably being overdramatic but it could click all four burners the entire time I'm cooking and save for the fact that I'd have to replace igniters more often than I prefer, the food this thing has produced has been so worth it.

Funny enough, we were talking with our friends who came over for Thai last night and I mentioned that if anyone needs any cookie sheets, they should check out Gordon Food Service (full disclosure: my uncle has worked for GFS for 25+ years) and get some commercial 1/2 sheet pans for $7 and they are super sturdy and work very well. To my surprise, two different people said that the 1/2" sheet pan I held up wouldn't even fit in their oven! I said uh, well check this out, pulled out a second one and fit both in the oven at the same time on the same rack. The oven in this thing is huge, I still don't quite understand how they managed that.

o

Hmm, is the plug independent? If it's only 8 yrs old I'm assuming it's grounded, so I doubt that's an issue. I could definitely see that being a nuisance.

o

Our AR Performer had ignition issues for a few months until a resourceful repair guy tracked down the problem. First our igniter went out completely. Then after that was replaced, it would sometimes not ignite or when the stove/oven would heat up, it would sometimes connect again, causing that attempting-to-ignite clicking. We had someone out five times, I think, and we got five or so different ignition modules installed. Finally we asked for a different company and got a kid who looked like he was in middle school--but he managed to solve the problem. The part on the stove that the ignition module plugs into had a slightly bent prong inside, so it was only making inconsistent contact. That guy's theory was that when the first repair attempt was made and the ignition module replaced for the first time, the prong got bent, causing all our subsequent ignition clicking issues. He seems to have been right. It took him all of about five minutes to fix (most of which was pulling the stove out and pushing it back), and we haven't had a problem since. If you decide to try to get your clicking fixed, you might have them check that or replace that part.

Other than the now-fixed ignitor issues, we've loved our Performer. The heat output is amazing. Someone asked about the grate height. I imagine it does affect the amount of heat getting to the pan, but there's plenty of heat there. You could always flip the grate over if you really *needed* to be closer for some dish.

o

Very good insight, Lindy, thank you! So is this module on the back of the stove then, I presume? I can get mine out and take a look. It does occur only when things are sufficiently warmed up.

I have to agree about the heat and the height of the grates - I've never wanted for more heat out of this thing. With a thing coating of oil to season my 10" frypan, it pushed that thing to almost 600* in 2-3 minutes one night. I don't need any more than that...

o

It arrived! and was installed. However, as I posted a question about above, we are having trouble finding someone to install the hood over glass tile, so can't do burnoff yet. I read the booklet and know how to do oven and broiler burnoff. The head installer said that we should also do a burnoff on the top burners, pointing to me some beads of moisture that appeared when he tested the burners. What I didn't think to ask--can I put pots of water on when I do that? I don't really want those high burners unobstructed for a lengthy time.
Will post picture when I figure out how.

o

Tried calling customer service. The guy was really nice, said he didn't know of a need for burner burnoff, but could definitely put pots of water on. Come to think of it, I guess just cooking with it will accomplish the same thing. Photo try:

o

Todd, there is some sort of ignition module that you can disconnect from the range itself. The problem in ours turned out to be on the end that module plugs into--not the end of the ignition module itself (which got replaced multiple times without fixing our issue). If you look where it plugs in, check inside that receptacle for some sort of prong that could be just slightly bent enough to not make consistent contact. I'd be a bit worried about doing it myself in case I snapped it off accidentally, but it did seem like a super-easy fix when the repair guy finally figured it out. He just bent it slightly so it would make better contact and not jiggle in and out of place.

o

3 months later oven is still making expansion noises regularly. The range is amazing to work with regardless.

o

Anyone use a wok extensively on the American? I loved with my BS I could remove the grate and put a round bottom wok right in to the bowl. The grate design is the main thing holding me back from considering the American right now. If they had individual grates you could remove one and put a wok ring down around the burner.

o

Jeffrey,

I use a 14" round bottom cast iron wok (a chinese one, not the heavy lodge) on my performer and it works pretty good for a quick stir fry or deep fry on the grate's normal position. However it's not quite as hot as I'd like, sometimes. Previously I wokked on a outdoor turkey fryer burner, but that was usually overkill and tasted burned.

I've started flipping the left hand side grate upside down and using the wok on it with a ring, it works better for getting the wok hei I'm looking for. It's about an inch closer to the burner, the bottom of the wok sits right in the flames. Made some killer chow mein with well drained cooked wel-pac soba noodles the other night. Brown noodle edges!

I have noticed that the exterior portion of the drip tray, between the oven and the rangetop and especially on the corners gets VERY hot during extended oven operation. I don't have an IR thermo but it feels hot to me.

The rest of the oven door and handle and rangetop landing area is manageably cool but that one strip of metal gets hot for my taste.

This post was edited by goldenguy on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 12:11

o

Can someone post a close-up picture of their 25K btu burner?
My largest burner (by number of holes) does not look like the one in the youtube video linked earlier.
It looks like the attached photo with one row of holes down the middle of each of the 6 arms of the star, and one row on each side of the 6 arms.

o

Hunh...here are my 25ks. When did you receive your range?
I AM loving it--it does a great job. Haven't wokked yet since we are still working on finding someone to install the hood and the wok isn't here yet anyway. Sorry to say, it blows the Wolf out of the water.

o

do you have a 30 or 36?
I have a 30" and have 1 of the one you show but 2 of the ones I show...
The one like yours is attached. I just assumed the more holes = more BTUs

o

Well, I'm mystified. I am supposed to have 2 25K and I have two of the one I photographed. My range was supposed to be installed right after Christmas but was
"not being released" at the factory. That's why I wondered if yours was just a bit older, the burners were different.

o

Palomalou, which hood did you get. Damn it my renos are taking forever, I need to cook my own food. lol

o

Omega, we got a Summit chimney hood. The highest cfm I could find that would recirculate. It is very loud, but powerful--but I never thought of the havoc it would wreck on my HAIR when it blows olut!

o

I purchased my unit from a private seller that had it in his garage (never used), so I'm not sure how many of each size of burner I'm supposed to have. I took possession from him in January, but I'm not sure how long he had it in his garage.

Not knowing what the burners are supposed to look like I just made the assumption of size based on the number of holes, since they seem to be fairly similar in size.

I have done a water boiling test between the two burners and the one you show definitely is faster...

It would be helpful if other owners chime in here to clarify our confusion...

This post was edited by stuckwi on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 22:28

o

Just got an AR one month ago and love it.
My only issue is the griddle has a big difference in temp from front to back. I expected a little variation, but we're talking literally raw pancakes in front and burned in the back.
Had a tech out to look at it and he said it's working as designed.
Anyone else with the griddle have this experience?

o

Figmoman,

I noticed last night that my large burners are also rated at 22,000 and not the advertised 25,000 BTU/hour output.

Anyone else who cares, look at the label with the ratings when you open the oven door all the way.

o

We just had our 36" American Range Performer installed in the last few weeks. Just checked the label and it says the large burners are rated at 25,000 BTU/hour output.

o

This may raise more questions than provide answers for palomalou and stuckwi. We've had a 30" Performer since last September. Standard 30" configuration with 2X25K burners, one 18K burner, and a 12K simmer burner. Our 25K burners are like stuckwi's pic. Our 18K burner however is in the following pic. Note it is like palomalou's pic in the center ring but has only a single row of ports on each arm:

This post was edited by tm0ngweb on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:59

o

Add me into the confused...my largest burners on my 36 are like palomalou's, but my label says 22k output for my largest burner. Has anyone contacted American on this?

o

For those of you like me with 22K rated burners did you have your NG range configured for high altitude like I did?

According to a telephone representative this is a typo on the label and it is not correct.

This post was edited by goldenguy on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 11:02

o

I am not in high altitude so I didn't need to have that done. Interesting they say it is a typo, however stuckwi has a different looking 25k burner with extra holes?

This post was edited by Blake686 on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 11:58

o

All three of my large burners have the double holes on all six arms of the star like stuckwi and palomalou's large burners do.

My 2 medium burners only have the single row on each arm like stuckwi's first photo.

My best guess is that stuckwi's previous owner may have had his range custom configured to have one fewer large and one more medium burner for whatever reason.

The burner caps are not interchangable between the different size orifices - the gas supply lines to each burner are positioned to prevent you from swapping them like this.

So presumably the extra 18K burner on Stuckwi's stove was put there on purpose. That is, the 18K burner orifice and gas supply was installed, along with the smaller burner cap.

o

I have the same thing, my large burners are like palomalou's, my middle ones the same but with one row down the stars.

The interesting one to me is the original picture stuckwi posted. The burner is like my 18k burner but with additional holes down the sides of the star. I have no burners like this.

It sounds like from what stuckwi said though that this is not the most powerful burner though, and the most powerful one is the one like our 25k.

Not sure we are going to be able to get closure to this...

o

Oh, I didn't notice the additional side holes on Stuckwi's post. interesting. Maybe that's an alternative 25k design?

o

Yea, that's the interesting part, may have been an earlier design? It's a little annoying the label is incorrect, wonder why they would print that wrong? Is it a UL label and are there legal implications of it being incorrect? I'm not home right now to really look at it. Doesn't really matter to me as long as my burners are correct, but still odd.

o

**** trinity361 --- We need to talk!!! *******
****Email me by clicking on BakingMom and then click 'send me an email'.****

I have had nothing but PROBLEMS with my American Range electric double oven. I am currently in the exact same predicament as trinity361. Although my situation is a bit older. I've spoken to and emailed with a whole crew of AR employees however I am getting the total run around. Awful customer service! They offered to replace my oven almost 6 months ago. I still haven't received it!

See more of my saga at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9o7g3DC4g.

By the way -- all of your gas ranges look beautiful and I hope they continue to serve you well!

o

Is anyone having baking issues with their Performer ovens?

o

@BakingMom: the patterns on both trays show that you did not have the convection ON; somehow the small tray did shadow the buns under it and, being close to the oven ceiling, all the reflected heat scorched the tops.

I saw your youtube video and IMHO you will not get the same level of browning on both the bagels' top and bottom, even though you used convection. Did you try using a steel pan instead of aluminum? The heat transmission properties are different between the two, both are much worse than clay, but iron is a little better than aluminum...

o

@gigelus2k13 -- Nope, the convection was certainly on. The photo exhibits the current issue of my bottom oven: that the broiler kicks on mid-cycle when on Bake or Conv and temp is set to <450. If you read the Jan.31 post from trinity361 she describes the exact same problem that I'm experiencing.

I've dealt with this problem now for the past year while in communication with AR. I typically keep an 'eagle eye' on them, rotating, covering w/ Al foil, decreasing temp so that broiler doesn't come on, etc. Except this time I got distracted by kids and there's the result.

I've tried many different pans. Same uneven results. Whether the oven is on Conv or Bake the back of the ovens brown way quicker than the front. For a $6000 oven that had pictures of 3(!) full trays of evenly baked cookies and promises of even baking it should perform better than my 20 year old $300 bottom-of-the-line oven that it replaced. The bummer part is that I gave the old oven to a guy that collects scrap metal. Doh!

o

So the gas ovens on the ranges perform adequately, right? Sounds like the issues are with the electrics?

Those poor rolls!

o

@BakingMom: sorry, I completely missed the part with the broiler being turned on while the oven is in bake mode. What a POS! It could be either the electronics going gaga (inexcusable poor quality build) or someone in the AR's R&D department actually designed it like that.

Anyway, one gets much more consistent results from the gas oven of a $400 range. I feel sorry for the rolls!

o

In regards to oven performance and since this is a ARPS thread and not a wall oven thread, here's an anecdote:

I baked 2 half sheet pans of bagel chips in my NG performer at 300F with convection on and the results were perfectly even across both sheet pans.

o

I am grateful that so many people responded to this thread; what a generous group on this forum. I've been mulling over our choices over these months, and will have to make a decision soon-ish. I've been back and forth a million times...
One one hand, for ordinary home-cooking, all of the "pro" style ranges probably offer "more" than we need...though we do cook at home, and not just to boil water.

On the other hand, in my heart of hearts, I really want to avoid that digital oven control panel. About 10 years ago, I installed a "Five Star," which was about $2500 at the time. Though it's been fine for our use, it has a faulty design: no drip pans. Thus, nearly impossible to keep clean under the burners. I wouldn't buy this brand again because of this problem.

Now, I'm moving and thus renovating another kitchen. The $3800 or so price tag for American Range is high for us, a stretch. The appliance store salespeople have suggested a GE Cafe gas range.

Still haven't made a final decision. But again, now leaning toward American Range.

o

Finally, renovations are done and the AR Performer has been hooked up. We're still trying to get organized and still living out of boxes so any cooking has so far been very simple. Damn does this range have power. Even the simple task of frying up some chopped up uncured/raw sausage was completed in about a minute. Water is boiling just under 50% more quickly than our previous gas Electrolux. Even the smallest simmer burner (12K BTU) is powerful enough for small pots. So far I haven't had any issues as others have with the igniters.

The only issue really is that the range is popping out at least an inch if not more because the gas line is restricting the range from moving any further towards the wall, does anyone have any fixes for this. I haven't used the oven yet but I did test the size and I love the fact that I can sit to good sized roasting pans side by side, this is something I couldn't do with my previous range. I couldn't even fit the pan perpendicular in the Electrolux.

Another issue, which I had previously as well with the Electrolux is that our pot handles are made of a synthetic material and if you don't control the flame they start burning. I could use bigger pots or control the flame but I'm thinking of replacing the handles with another material. I think it is going to be a bit more of an issue on the AR though and lowering the flame defeats the purpose of all this power. I definitely don't want to buy new pots as these are of really good quality, German made and brought over from Europe from my parents. This is going to go off topic but does anyone have any ideas on where I could go to look for replacement handles.

o

There are rubber sleeves to fit over metal handles--perhaps there is something available for your pots?
As for the American Range protruding from the the wall--I posted a notice about this. We had to cut a channel into our wall so that the gas line could be recessed. It was a pain in the butt, but we, thankfully, did not have a finished wall behind the stove yet, so it was a bit easier to deal with.

o

We recently installed an AR Performer rangetop, but we had to make the same clearance modification for the gas line. My cabinet maker cut a two inch by about six inch strip out of the rear wall of the base cabinet on which the rangetop sits. No problem with fit, it aligns perfectly with the backsplash.
Here's a blurry pic of a batch of sausage & peppers that I made last weekend. Mmm mmm good, and it cooked fast!

o

Ahhhh %*#*, are you serious. I wish I would have read about this, we tiled the wall all the way down to the floor behind the range just before installing the it. I guess I'm going to leave it as is. Nice counter top Bungalow, looks like ours, is it Super White?

o

The granite yard called it "White Ice", but unless I'm mistaken, granite often has multiple names?
Sorry that you're going to have to mess up your tiling, that's a bummer. But when your range fits flush and tight, you'll quickly forget what the wall behind it looks like!

o

This is my first post on GW, so please excuse any errors.

tloubet posted: "Just got an AR one month ago and love it.
My only issue is the griddle has a big difference in temp from front to back. I expected a little variation, but we're talking literally raw pancakes in front and burned in the back.
Had a tech out to look at it and he said it's working as designed.
Anyone else with the griddle have this experience?"

Well, I have just installed a 36 inch Performer range-top and have only heated up the griddle twice, to season it. I was SHOCKED to see how far off the temperature readings were from front to back of the griddle when I checked it with my IR thermometer. I'm afraid to try using it!...
tloubet got no answers that I saw. Anybody else have the griddle??

o

I have the griddle and really like it.
Yes, it does have a cooler section in the front.
I talked with AR and they said it was designed that way to have a cooler area to move food to to keep warm while the rest of the food cooks--like a French top, I believe.
The rear 2/3 cooks really evenly and the griddle stays hot for a long time afterwards.
I have had no trouble using it.

o

palomalou, from the picture I see you got the 4" stub back...how are you liking it? i'm ordering a 60" american range performer and researching what accessories I need/want...do you feel like it has been useful?

o

I'm not sure I know really what purpose the stub back is to have. The dealer just recommended it since it is not on an island, to offer some protection to the backsplash.

o

Does anyone know the measurement of the AR Performer from front to back without the door? It's not in the spec sheet or the brochure.

o

I absolutely adore the Performer, those 25K burners are unreal. My previous Electrolux had an 18K max burner but the way this beast sears a piece of meat was never capable with the Electrolux.

The oven preheats really quickly too, I thought I remember reading in here that it's slow.

Everything cooks so quickly both the stove top and the oven. Plus the size of the oven is sweet, I was never able to place to big roasting pans side by side.

No regrets with this purchase.

o

Omega, thanks for bumping.
I totally agree with your "everything cooks so quickly..." statement! I find that I'm finishing dishes on my rangetop much faster than on previous ranges (none of which were gas, fwiw). And not just on the 25k burners - my 18k burners get a lot of use to, and really crank out the heat.
Not so much as a loose screw or wire in my 6-burner 'top, perfection since the day I rec'd it (coming up on 6 mos now).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here