Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoshanadh

Appliances for Tiny Kitchen

shoshanadh
16 years ago

It's decision time for appliances for my tiny (5'5"x8'6") kitchen. I was hoping for all 24" W appliances but find few choices in 24" induction cooktops (there is only electric cooking in the building). Is it OK to put a 30" cooktop over a 24" wall oven? I'm thinking of KitchenAid for both. The KA oven has the most capacity of any in that size. But does getting a 30" cooktop dictate the size of the cabinet I have to get for the oven below? I don't want to give up cabinet space if I don't have to.Does anyone have experience with either of these two appliances?

Comments (7)

• pammo
    16 years ago

If you have cabinets custom-built you can do whatever you like.

For a kitchen that size it might be a good idea to consider every dimension, including the height of the appliances, and the allowances needed for installation, when working out the layout. Some induction cooktops require a good deal more (unusable) space underneath than others.

Also, be sure to check interior dimensions of ovens yourself. Go to the store and measure. Bring your largest pan if you like. Don't trust the manufacturers' claimed capacities. I'm not sure they're not inflated in some cases.

I don't have any experience with KA ovens, nor the Diva cooktop to which you're referring.

If your space allows, you could consider a 30" cooktop over a stack of drawers, and locate the oven under the counter elsewhere.

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

You could put 2 12" induction cooktops over a 24" oven.

• plllog
    16 years ago

There are also a couple of induction ranges around, though they're probably expensive.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

The idea of a pair of 24" induction cooktops is a good one. Leave a couple of inches between them for support and to allow use of large pans and it should be a great setup. Maybe a 27" oven would fit better in this case?

Definetly go with custom cabinets-they add usable inches, as do European-style cabinets. The combination will probably add an effective foot of storage space. Also consider a pull-out pantry. They make effective use of available space. Make sure you have one 18-24" open base, and not all drawers. Drawers are work efficient, but not space efficient. Open bases are the opposite.

For washing, have you considered either a single 24" wide DD with a drawer below, or one of the 18" wide DW's?

The people over at the Kitchens forum have a lot of experience in remodeling and kitchen design, and are glad to pass on pearls of wisdom.

• barb59
    16 years ago

I used two 12" gas cooktop modules over a 27" oven in order to get the burner BTU power that I wanted. I like the set-up since it gives me the one high BTU (wok) burner and two normal burners. (I have a portable induction burner that I used during reno for if I need more burner capacity.) The cabinet between the oven and sink cabinet is the 18" Miele DW. Also moved the sink all the way to the right in the sink cabinet, rather than centering, to get another 6" of countertop space.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

• djh64
    16 years ago

Diva makes 12" induction hobs and a 24" induction unit. the 24" has a 4kw zone on it that makes it the most powerful zone on the Residential market. Many people have 24" ovens. Meile, Gaggenau, Delonghi, Fisher Paykel. Delonghi also has alot of 24" products along with 12 inch gas and electric hobs and 24" gas cooktops. Hopefully that should give you alot to choose

• jeanne70
    15 years ago

There are dishwashers that fit in apartments that will fit beneath a shallow sink. The top shelf is short front to back as well as short in height, but fits standard glasses and the botom rack is full-size. I don't know the brand.

A shallow wide single bowl sink is a good idea because you can maximize the storage beneath. Also, keep the disposal smaller - don't go with the heaviest duty and it will be shorter and smaller diameter in the cabinet. Contrary to popular belief, water does not splash out of the shallower sink. Also, checking the placement of the drains and disposal will allow you to maximize storage beneath the sink. Consider a sink with the drain in the corner rather than center. Siematic cabinets have pull out storage options for under sinks that you might want to check out.

Use only 15" space between counters and upper cabinets in part of the kitchen. I have had only 15" space above the couners for 30 years and it works fine for everything except the tallest coffee makers.

I put a standard double (33") sink in a 36" cabinet with a 15" drawer cabinet to the right. I use a corian cutting board on the left sink bowl for extra counterspace and my "single" sink is centered in the space.

I also have 10" turntables in my corner spice cabinet. One turntable on each of 3 shelves is fully accessible. I can reach the first four inches of the second turntable. The rest of it is in the "dead" corner. It's a great way to use corner space without an angled cabinet. The turntables hold far more little bottles and cans of spices than the fancy spice cabinet racks and are easier to access. We are redoing the kitchen now and I haven't found a better way to maximize that space.