Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat123_gw

What double oven is the best?

kat123
9 years ago

We remodeled a few years ago and spent a lot of time deciding on a double oven. We finally ended up with Dacor and was it ever a huge mistake. The upper oven went out a couple of years ago and will cost about $1,000 to repair. We've decided it would be best to just get a whole new double oven. What do you suggest. I'm not a big cook, so I'm really surprised at the substandard quality of Dacor. Never again! Thanks so much for any help!

Comments (12)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Dacor. As you've learned first hand, high end brands are not only expensive to buy, but super expensive to repair when they break. This is true for all of them: Dacor, Miele, Wolf, etc. To be honest, if you don't really cook... save your hard earned $$$ and keep it simple. I would be looking at Frigidaire/Kenmore (same thing), middle of the line GE, and middle of the line Bosch. If you want to step it up a notch in terms of style/features: Electrolux, higher end GE, higher end Bosch. If you rarely cook, anything above that is just throwing money away. All of the brands I listed are super easy to get parts for and have relatively reasonable repair costs.

Of all the brands I listed Electrolux is talked about the most as being the best value oven. You get 2 glide racks per oven and tons of features/modes, both of which even some more expensive ovens don't have. However someone on this forum who works for an appliance dealer recently observed build quality went down with a redesign they did in the past couple of months, so YMMV.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 5:20

• wekick
    9 years ago

I had a Dacor range and oven but they never worked right so was fortunate that they bought them back.

I have an Electrolux single oven and it bakes about as well as the Wolf oven in my range. The new Electrolux oven has some new features that should be pretty good. They now have dual fans like the Wolf ovens. The racks are made so that they can be left in during cleaning and are offset toward the bottom that increases the usability of the space in the bottom of the oven. These last two things were criticisms of the previous model. It is a new model so we haven't heard how it bakes. I would love to know the specifics of the build. I might try to look at one.
    I think the "Icon" is the same - no changes yet.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It may be tough to find an Icon now. Electrolux's plant in Quebec closed last July and they are slowly re-starting production in Memphis, but in the meantime they are starting to run out of things. The online retailers I checked all had the Icon marked discontinued or out of stock. As far as I know they will only be re-starting production of the Pro style Icons, not the designer style.

As for build quality, jdoenumber2 said on an earlier thread:

"Built in wallovens look cheaper and feel cheaper. The blue enameled interior makes the racking bind worse than GE oven racks ever did. They look nice straight on but there is a piece of plastic that doesn't look right as it is still contoured like their gs models. I'm sure they still cook like a dream though."

• lauralocks19
    9 years ago

Can I ask which double oven you went with? I'm trying to decide between a Bosch and Electrolux. Thanks!

• boba1
    9 years ago

"The racks are made so that they can be left in during cleaning and are offset toward the bottom that increases the usability of the space in the bottom of the oven" Hmm, I was wondering if the super duty rack feature in GE ovens and ranges would be a feature added to Electrolux ovens following the merger/acquisition of GE with/by Electrolux. And I literally was pondering this early this Sunday morning.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^Electrolux already has self clean racks in their latest ovens.

• kat123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions regarding a quality oven. I'll let you know if we go ahead and replace the Dacor. Still can't believe how expensive it was and how quickly it broke. NO MORE DACOR in our home.

• nyli2014
    9 years ago

I went through the same choices... the new Eletrolux double oven vs Bosch 800 series vs Kitcken Aid. All were in the same price point. I had a strong preference for the Bosch 800 series since it looked more sturdy and simpler. Wife though the Eletrolux looked better with the wave touch, and interior was more usable than the Bosch (Kitchen Aid had the most space.)

Heard all the same pro/cons on the gardenweb forums. Ultimately, the price was cheapest for the Electrolux. I am sure it will be different between dealer to dealer... but for whatever reason, where I live (Long Island), Eletrolux seems to be popular. Kitchen Aid is just as popular.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

We just had our electrolux icon double oven installed last week. I haven't used it yet- still trying to get through all of these appliance manuals so I don't screw anything up!

All I can say is that it looks beautiful ;) Does that help? Lol!

• lee676
    9 years ago

Bosch redesigned their ovens in the last year so ignore most comments about older models. I love the side-hinged doors on the top of the line new Bosch ovens. Electrolux also made some changes recently, including racks that don't need to be removed to use the self cleaning function and nicer, flatter doors. The old model was already excellent, with the best broiler I've come across, great interior lighting, low noise levels, well-designed controls, smooth glide-out racks (1, 2, or 3 per oven depending on model) that extend out further than in most other brands, and yes the blue interior is pretty. My experience with Kitchenaid ovens has been awful, but they've been redesigned since the ones I've used were made.

• theutahn
    9 years ago

If you are looking for a great deal, I noticed that AJ Madison has the GE Cafe double oven on clearance for $2399 - an incredible deal (I actually have one on the way). Reviews on that oven are very positive.

• kat123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here it is two years later & we still have not replaced our Dacor horrible double oven! Just been using the bottom oven which is a real pain since I have a bad back. Will let you know what we finally end up getting. I'm very fortunate because my husband is great about helping out.