Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverview111

need a 60" vent hood for range AND blower for a commercial hood.

riverview111
10 years ago

I bought a used 60" all gas range for our new house...a Dynasty (aka Jade). 6 burners and a 24" griddle on top, two convection ovens. Looking for a decent vent hood that won't break the bank and that will clear the air when I need it to. I'm the only cook in the house, so it'll only be one person stir-frying or whatever. How many CFM would you folks recommend? Suggestions? Proline? ALSO, when we bought the range, a hood came with it that we're not installing in the house for aesthetic reasons. We'll install it over our bbq/side burner/griddle which will be in a covered porch area. It's huge (6' long) and very industrial looking because it came out of a commercial setting (food processing plant). The hood is just the hood with baffles and a rectangular chimney, and I need to buy a blower (remote) that will work with it. Ideas? Recommended CFMs for this application? THANKS!

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Proline are rock bottom priced Chinese made hoods that use 430 SS instead of the much more common and more expensive 304 SS.

430 SS uses less nickel therefore is a little darker and more prone to rust.

You need a 60-66" hood with at least 1200 cfm. You will not find another company that sells cheaper. Maybe a new Chinese company selling something equivalent.

In 2010-11 about 10 people on GW purchased Proline Hoods. Five were satisfied including one that was very satisfied and posted on every thread that mentioned Proline extolling the virtues of the hood.

About three were unsatisfied with the lights. Either they were too dim or would not turn off. One got a free circuit board but got the run around about getting reimbursed for labor.

Two had major problems. Not getting the right parts and another(if I remember correctly) too many holes drilled into the hood and duct cover. One complained to the better business bureau and the BBB closed the case with an unsatisfied rating saying the company never answered. This person would also post in any thread that mentioned Proline. The other just grew frustrated and posted so again and again. Eventually, people on here stopped buying Proline.

But if you want something of better quality and reputation with the correct size and cfm you will have to spend significantly more.

Do you want two remote blowers or just one for the outdoor hood?

Fantech budget but kinda noisy remote blower. Probably not a good idea if you have neighbors close to your property line.

Abbaka considered the best remote blowers.

You have to maker sure blower is compatible with hood.

If it is single speed I don't think they make those anymore.

3 Speed or Variable speed.

• riverview111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the kitchen range, I'm figuring 60" is enough for me. If I'm doing anything smoky or smelly I won't use the burners on the far left or right. I'll be venting the kitchen hood out the wall...can't go up, but at least it's the shortest run possible. Not too particular about remote or not--would rather not have a lot of noise but I'll mostly use it on low and the kitchen doesn't directly open onto the living room (which is around the corner) so some noise is not a catastrophe. The kitchen is totally open to the dining area. Another cheap Chinese possibility is Z Line, but I'm a little concerned about quality on that hood as well. Thanks for the heads up on the 430 SS. I live in a desert climate, so that does help.

The hood for the bbq literally just has a rectangular SS chimney and nothing else. So I guess we'd have to fabricate some sort of adapter to change to round ducting. The hood has no lights. It's just a SS hood with removable baffles. So if we fabricate an adapter, I think we ought to be able to use most remote blowers. It also has fire suppression stuff on it which we will remove. Thanks!

• riverview111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the kitchen range, I'm figuring 60" is enough for me. If I'm doing anything smoky or smelly I won't use the burners on the far left or right. I'll be venting the kitchen hood out the wall...can't go up, but at least it's the shortest run possible. Not too particular about remote or not--would rather not have a lot of noise but I'll mostly use it on low and the kitchen doesn't directly open onto the living room (which is around the corner) so some noise is not a catastrophe. The kitchen is totally open to the dining area. Another cheap Chinese possibility is Z Line, but I'm a little concerned about quality on that hood as well. Thanks for the heads up on the 430 SS. I live in a desert climate, so that does help.

The hood for the bbq literally just has a rectangular SS chimney and nothing else. So I guess we'd have to fabricate some sort of adapter to change to round ducting. The hood has no lights. It's just a SS hood with removable baffles. So if we fabricate an adapter, I think we ought to be able to use most remote blowers. It also has fire suppression stuff on it which we will remove. Thanks!

• riverview111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the kitchen range, I'm figuring 60" is enough for me. If I'm doing anything smoky or smelly I won't use the burners on the far left or right. I'll be venting the kitchen hood out the wall...can't go up, but at least it's the shortest run possible. Not too particular about remote or not--would rather not have a lot of noise but I'll mostly use it on low and the kitchen doesn't directly open onto the living room (which is around the corner) so some noise is not a catastrophe. The kitchen is totally open to the dining area. Another cheap Chinese possibility is Z Line, but I'm a little concerned about quality on that hood as well. Thanks for the heads up on the 430 SS. I live in a desert climate, so that does help. I've even considered using TWO 30" liners side by side. Is this a bad idea? The large units are just SO expensive!

• riverview111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about the triple post! It wasn't coming up for me on my computer. Please note my question about using two 30" liners side by side.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Suggest 90 actual CFM per square foot of actual hood aperture (not exterior dimensions). Actual CFM is some fraction of the fan/blower rated (at zero static pressure) CFM. The fraction depends on pressure losses in ducting, duct transitions, hood transitions, baffles, and imperfect make-up air supply. Without knowing more I would suggest a rated CFM about 1.5X the required actual CFM.

Imperfect MUA supply does not mean no supply. Open windows will work (there is still a pressure drop across the screens). Otherwise, we are into variable levels of expense and complexity, and we haven't even delved into code enforcement.

In addition to the conflict between the affordability, aesthetics, and performance aspects of hood selection, when pro-style cooking requires pro-style ventilation, either a lot of research or pro-HVAC support is required.

kas

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

BROAN 60" COMPLETE PRO HOOD INSERT SYSTEM WITH 1100 cfm BLOWER $1349 plus $125 shipping.

Broan offers cheap non-heated MUA solution too.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• riverview111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip deeageaux!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm