Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyli2014

NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)

nyli2014
9 years ago

Hi All...

I've been lucking for the past 6 months while expanding/rebuilding our kitchen out in a Long Island suburbs home. Got a TON of great advice on these forums without needing to actually ask a question... but now I am about to finalize on the appliances. That seems like a tough nut to crack.

My budget is $10k, so I was able to get the right mix of appliances without going over. Many of the items were dictated by my wife's choice of type and style... so I am not really able to change the size/type of the appliances.. just model.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments or two about the choices below. Some things seem clear based on lack of other choices in the price range, but some i am on the fence about.

So here we go....

Range Top:
Picked: Bertazzoni�36" 5 burner Range Top (CB36500)
- They were the cheapest 36" Range Top I could find for the money. Kitcken Aid came close in price, but the Berta just seemed like a more solid choice. I really wished there was something lower end /cheaper, but they don't exist. We cook in 50% of the time. Nothing crazy.

Hood:
Picked: Faber 600CFM Classica Wall-Mount Chimney Hood (CLAS36SS)
- I was looking at Broan, Best, XO, Kobe... but at the end of the day, I just picked the mid-end SIMPLE hood with built in blower that the retailer sold for less then $1000k. I was hoping for baffle filters vs Mesh, but the filters were dishwasher safe, and I used this type/size of hood in a previous house (Jen Air, again Jen Air). 600CFM seemed just fine. Might change if I switch retailer to Best.

Double Oven:
Picked: Eletrolux 30" Double Oven with that blue enamel (EW30EW65PS)
Contenders: Bosch 800 Series (HBL8651UC) or Kitchen Aid(KEBS209BSS)
- The newer model Eletrolux came out that had a few upgrades to the design that made it easier to work with. I know there are those who warn about newly released models. I guess I will provide feedback on this model when I have it installed in about a month.
- I was really set on the Bosch due to the GardenWeb reviews, but when you put it next to a Kitcken Aid or especially an Eletrolux, it didn't exactly stand out.
- Kitcken Aid was a tried a true model with the blue enamel. Seen it everywhere on Long Island. Was really a back up choice if I was undecided. This model is technically a new model with a few improvements, but the internals are the same.
- Electrolux ended up being the cheapest by a wide margin compared to the KA and Bosch.

Drawer Microwave:
Picked: Sharp 24" Insight Pro drawer MW (SMD2470AS)
- Sharp came out with a sleeker model above the popular KB6524PS. Recent price drop that put it within a ~$150 price difference. $150 for looks.. not more function.

Refrigerator:
Picked: Eletrolux 36" full size 27.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator (EI28BS65KS)
- I can provide the details on the GE Profile/Monagram, Kitcken Aid, Samsung, and LG models that were about the same. I have never seen one consistent positive review in any refrigerator, so I came to conclusion that I just pick based on needs/want and price. If I had the choice, I would have gone with a Black Friday deal for a 28cu Samsung, but the Eletrolux won based on looks... $200 more for looks.

Dishwasher:
Picked: Eletrolux 24" dishwasher with the third rack (EI24ID50QS)
Contender: Bosch 500 Series (SHP65TL5UC) or Kitchen Aid (KDTE204D)
- The Electrolux is a newer model. I know that Electrolux is not known for dishwashers, and they had poor issues in the past with older models. Hoping I am not shooting myself in the foot to save $100 over a Bosch. Then again, we don't use the dishwasher often. Had a Jen-Air and Maytag in the past. Used them only for large gatherings.
- I was pretty much dead set on the Bosch, but due to again... price difference, the Electrolux won. I am still on the fence on this. Is it worth going with the Bosch? (Not going to the Miele price point.)

Sink:
Franke 28" Farmhouse front apron white undermount clay sink (MHK11028)
Contender: Rohl 30" (MS3018)
- Still on the fence on this one. I have to order this one separately locally. Franke wins it.. not really because it's a tad cheaper, but because I can get it more readily locally. I hear of many bad stories of delivery issues so wanted to address it locally if I can.

So there it is... Thoughts? Suggestions? I can provide a layout of the kitchen if that helps.

Comments (10)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One member of the forum got some of the new Electrolux ovens into their showroom and observed that build quality decreased significantly from the previous generation. Of course at this point nobody can tell how they will stack up performance and reliability wise. My guess is that they'll be pretty unchanged in those areas. The previous generation was well reviewed on both fronts.

Sharp microwave drawer: Like any product some people have had issues but they seem to be well liked overall.

Electrolux had serious issues with their french door fridges a few years back, most of which pertained to the ice maker and dispenser. Supposedly they are now fixed. I think it would be a safe bet at this point. I hear you on the reviews for all of them being bad.

Electrolux dishwasher: Professional reviews have liked this model overall, but there is no user feedback or reliability data yet. The previous generation Electrolux dishwashers were indeed a disaster. I saw this model in a showroom and the interior just felt cheap to me compared to Bosch. You're well within the price range for Bosch and I don't see why you're getting such a fancy dishwasher if you rarely use one. The prices I'm finding online for the Bosch you mention are actually about $100 less than that Electrolux, but if you can't get that deal in your area I would take Bosch 300 over the Elux.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Electrolux oven took a huge dive with this new redesign. Their newer frigs don't share the same absolutely horrible problems with icemakers any more. Their dishwashers went from down hill with the build layout. I can't imagine their reliability got any worse. IMHO they took a hard turn for the worse. Too bad I own their range and frig I hate to compare what that had before to what they have now.

• nyli2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! So it sounds like the only concerns should be the Oven/Frig/Dishwasher... which all happen to be Electrolux oddly.

Starting to feel less confident about the double oven. Maybe I should revisit the Bosch or maybe take another look at the GE Profile double oven. I see people generally pick the Electrolux over a Kitchen Aid... but may consider a GE or a Bosch. I guess i was reading the wrong reviews on the Elextrolux on the forum?

I think I will stick with the Electrolux frig for now... unless I there is a major incentive for another brand coming up. We will see.

I am strongly thinking about switching to the Bosch 500 series for the dishwasher. The idea was to maybe invest in a quality DW and start to cook in more since we are going for broke on the renovation? Hehe..

This post was edited by nyli2014 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 2:39

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The Electrolux oven redesign literally just happened, so the reviews you were reading were for the ovens they've been selling for the past 6 years or so. Very good, proven, high performing, relatively reliable ovens. Unfortunately you missed them by just a month or so. You might still be able to get one from leftover stock or a floor model. Despite being cheaper built, there has been nothing to indicate that the new generation will not also have that reliability and performance. So I think they are definitely worthy of your consideration still.

Have you seen/felt/touched all these ovens in a showroom? That is the bare minimum that I would have to do before i bought an appliance, ideally I would get a chance to cook in it too. If there was no way I could see an appliance in person, I would cross it off my list no matter how good it reportedly was.

After narrowing down your list based on research online and in person, if you still can't decide on a particular model, DON'T get into analysis paralysis. Throw a dart if that's what it needs to come down to. There are much more important things to worry about in life and it is pretty much a crapshoot these days no matter which one you go with.

• User
    9 years ago

If you cook, re-evaluate the Berta. You're going for the looks of a rangetop rather than performance of the burners if you go Berta. Look at Bluestar's cooktop.

• nyli2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all again!

Fortunately... in the heart of Long Island suburbia and a hop away from NYC where I work, I was able to touch and feel literally every appliance possible. Just no gas/water.

I double checked the Eletrolux double ovens (old vs new).... To be honest, I couldn't really tell much of a difference in regards to better made or not. Did look different, but nothing I could point to specifically. The rails did seem to be less smooth on the newer ones, but maybe it was due to the install. In some ways, I thought the Kitchen Aid and Bosch seemed more sturdy on the inside. Maybe it's just me. Wife thought the Electrolux was hands down the best (looking). It was still cheaper to buy the Electrolux with a 5yr extended warranty... so I am hedging my bet on this one.

I switched to the Bosch 500 DLX dishwasher. Just felt that it was a better product. Haggled the price down a little more to justify the switch.

Switched to the Faber Tender chimney hood for a little more. Wife thought it looked better.

As for Berta... I checked the Bluestar, Capital, Viking, Miele, Dacor, Thermador, FiveStar, American, DCS ( just to see what I was missing on the high end)... The ones I just mentioned are basically in their own price point (and to some extend better). Berta being 25%-50% less expensive... is in the price point of a Kenmore Pro range top and cheaper than a Kitchen Aid. So the Berta was technically an upgrade for me. Those smaller Bertas are popular NYC apartments fixtures that can't afford pumping out a Viking.

I've pretty much made my purchase today. (Sink will have to be purchased elsewhere.) I was told I have the option of switching some of my appliances before delivery. I was able to get pricing barely down below AJMadison... and secured cheaper white glove shipping. All for the sake of keeping below the $10k budget.

Thanks all for your help!

Will definitely provide an update on the status of the appliances.

This post was edited by nyli2014 on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 1:53

• jennifer2413
    9 years ago

NYLI, have you gotten your Berta?

• telesaps
    9 years ago

I just bought a 2014 model Electrolux double oven. It is beautiful, very quiet, and bakes/cooks well with no issues yet. Its only been 2 weeks, but so far I'm very pleased. Got the floor model for a great price!

• First home
    8 years ago

NYLI, I'm considering the same Electrolux fridge and dishwasher model. I know you finally went with a Bosch, but how's the fridge performing so far, can you share you experience with the dishwasher also? Supposedly the Electrolux EI24ID50QS had the best professional review, but too new to have any user reviews on reliability and such.

• Kim Ladin
    8 years ago

Hi there, I'm wondering if you have any follow-up comments on your Bertazzoni rangetop now? Is it in use yet? If so, what do you think of it? I'm looking at a Berta cooktop because I really like the burner arrangement. Thanks!