Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsanguine

Please help with Bosch DW recommendations.

Tsanguine
9 years ago

I am in the market for a new dishwasher and I prefer to research as much as possible. I've heard good things about Bosch models but am not tied to that decision. I've looked at Consumer reports but they make everything more complicated than anything. They rate an Ascenta model above every other model which is very hard to believe.

I have found this PDF which has been extremely helpful. It has helped me decipher the model numbers. I have two deals currently available to me.

http://www.purcellmurray.com/emails/BO_DW_Launch_Broch_lores.pdf

SHV7ER53UC with no warranty for $499. It was returned after the owner decided they didn't like the smaller spaced tines. It is available at a local Kelly's Home Center.
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/SHV7ER53UC.html

SHE53TL5UC that was a display model with a full warranty also from Kelly's Home Center for $649.
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/SHE53TL5UC.html

More than anything I want a reliable unit that will work for a good deal. I would want stainless but can easily make a door for the custom unit to match if the deal is worthwhile. The third rack would also be nice but not a necessity as would a hidden control panel. I don't so much care about unneeded features or unnecessary cycles. I would prefer to keep my budget under $650 and am open to other ideas. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm most concerned with there being no warranty but it certainly seems like a great deal. I am fairly handy if things did go wrong.

Comments (9)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>They rate an Ascenta model above every other model which is very hard to believe.

That kind of drivel is the reason I barely pay attention to Consumer Reports anymore. Ascenta could be a good option at that price point when compared to other brands, but it's nowhere near as good as Bosch's mid grade and higher end models.

That is an excellent deal on the 800+, you are saving about $800 from what they retail for. If it were me I would take that deal. Being handy and able to do repairs yourself makes it more enticing.

If you really don't care about features at all and are worried about the warranty, the 300 series floor model could be a good choice though. Do you care about noise level at all? The 800+ will be significantly quieter.

Neither of those models is known for reliability issues, Bosch has one of the most reliable dishwashers on the market. Of course you're taking a risk, and in the end you'll have to decide for yourself, but I would probably feel more comfortable buying Bosch's dishwasher without a warranty than anyone else's.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 3:53

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

I love my she53tl5uc. I got the better bottom rack and split silverware rack afterwards to accommodate my needs. Are you going to make the panel for the shv7 or is that going to be an added cost. I would ask to see how long the shv7 was in service for. Get the serial number and check to see if it were registered and if it has any warranty claims made. If not ask dealer to sell you extended warranty. Price asided if all things seem favorable jump on the shv7 before someone else does.
    Now where it gets interesting. There are rebates coming up. Dates start soon on the 800 plus and mid feb on the 300 series. The price on the 300 series is not all that great unless it is in your market.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I got the better bottom rack and split silverware rack afterwards to accommodate my needs.

I didn't know there were alternative racks for the Bosch dishwashers. Now I have to look!

• Cavimum
    9 years ago

Now that I have a Bosch with the third/upper cutlery tray, I don't know if I can ever go back to a DW with a basket taking up valuable real estate on the bottom rack. My vote is for that model because I am biased. ;-)

-- Would the protruding handle on this model be a problem in your kitchen? We had to get a recessed handle model, due to space constraints.
    -- The model you linked says "panel-ready" and shows a cabinet door w/handle. Will the DW you're looking at have a cabinet door that matches your current cabinets?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I agree with Cavimum about the third rack. I thought I'd dislike it because it would take so long to load, but it doesn't, everything up there gets clean, and you don't stab yourself with the pointy end of knives and forks facing upright.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Yeah I got the rack from the benchmark that collapses the useless front right tines and the back row. I can try and find a part number and post it for you. It retails for about $210 and the spilt basket is about $50.

• Tsanguine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. I contacted Bosch and they said they would give a one year warranty on parts and labor but nothing for cosmetics. We went ahead and bought it. Now I just have to install it and have the front door made.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Awesome choice. You under paid for it. Well below cost to dealer. Did you happen to find if it were in service and for how long. A deal like this works out good for everyone usually. There is still a rebate if you want I can look up the form to see if you purchased from a qualifying dealer.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Scratch the rebate this was a last year model.