Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Range or cooktop?

ellessebee
11 years ago

It's probably been asked many times before but I can't find the discussions! I have to make my decision very soon. I currently have a range and have been happy with it. It's a nicely styled Thermador (which replaced a Jennair cooktop and KitchenAid wall ovens that were in the house when I bought it). I don't bake very much, but I do use the oven to broil quite a bit. I also don't use many burners at one time, partly because I have a number of auxiliary electric cooking appliances (kettle, microwave, convection/toaster oven, pressure cooker etc.). I am definitely going with induction but can't decide if I should stick with a range or go with a cooktop and wall oven. The induction range selection is fairly limited (there is not one really high-end induction range available), and I require one that has the controls at the front rather than in the back, which limits the choices even more. One real pro for going with a wall oven is to be able to raise it up to eye level. But that takes away counterspace - and there's never enough of that. Since I broil a lot, I wonder if having a wall oven just a little outside the main cooking area (it would go at the end of the run about 8 feet from the cooktop) would result in over-done food because, well, out of sight, out of mind. If I have to take so many steps to check on food I just might not get there in time. So I'd like to hear other pros and cons to either approach. Need help making this decision! Thanks.

Comments (4)