Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnav13

Do you love your 30" freestanding induction range's oven?

donnav13
10 years ago

I am shopping for a 30" freestanding induction range. Most reviews discuss the stove top. Can anyone who has one of these discuss the oven performance? Do you love it and if so what is the brand and model? Do the outside surfaces of the range get too hot to touch during oven use (the oven door, stove top, oven handle, sides of range)? I bake a lot (breads, cookies, meats, veggies) so oven performance is important to me. Thank you!

Comments (4)

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I have the GE Profile Slide in 30" induction range - PHS925STSS. I've had for about 6 months and I love it. I also bake and cook a lot - one of the main reasons I bought this range over the Elux was that the oven is very big.
    My famous choc. chip cookies bake well in this oven, along with cakes etc. A fabulous feature of this oven is that it has a probe that you plug in, then put into your chicken, turkey, roast etc. Then you program the internal temp. you want as well as the cooking temp. - and this amazing oven will roast it perfectly every time. I've done chickens. turkeys, beef roasts this way, and they have all been perfect. Takes all the guess work (time wise) away.
    Roasted veggies come out great. I make my own kale chips a couple of times/week - toss ripped kale leaves (hard stems removed) with some olive oil and chopped garlic on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet - bake at 350F for about 12 - 14 minutes. Lightly toss with salt after baking. Yummy!
    There is also a slow cooker option in the oven that I have not tried yet, but if it is as good as the probe feature, then it will be great.

The outside of the oven does not get very hot when in use, but you do have to be careful when you open the oven to pull something out, because that heat hits hard.
    I've self-cleaned the oven a couple of times - excellent, IMHO.
    Can you tell I adore this oven? -:)!!!

This post was edited by Caya26 on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 17:15

• donnav13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Caya26! I love to make kale chips too! I am trying to decide between the GE and the Fridgidaire Induction ranges. I just recently purchased a KitchenAid freestanding range (smooth top but not induction) after my 10 year old trusty range died. I am returning the KitchenAid because it gets blistering hot on all the outside surfaces with the oven at only 350. I burned my fingers very badly just getting a pan from the bottom storage drawer. I think I could cook on the cook top with just the oven turned on and not the burners.

• Caya26
    10 years ago

My pleasure donnav13 - GW was a great source of information for us when we were buying our appliances this past spring (2013) to replace our 12 year old ones. I had never even heard of induction until I read about it here on GW. I replaced a Maytag electric smooth top, which I hated from the beginning because the food would get baked onto the surface, and it would never be really clean. You won't have that issue with induction, clean up is a breeze.

Just do your homework, hopefully someone will be able to give you feedback on the Frigidaire Induction range.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

I also have this induction range. Have had it about a year and a half (17 months). Love the cooktop, especially knowing that the
    "eyes" will go off when pots are removed. I was always worrying about leaving one on.

The oven - loved it for baking until recently. My previous oven never baked at the temperature I set it for - very inconsistent.
    Once I got this new one, I started baking cookies, cakes, even cheescakes again. However, after using the self cleaning feature
    the first time, my next bundt cake burned on top. It was a cake that was to take an hour and 10 minutes to bake and after 30 minutes the top was way too dark.

Yesterday, I needed to bake cookies for a funeral reception. I had just cleaned it again the day before,so I decided to use an
    oven thermometer to check the temperature before the first batch. It was to be set for 350 and it was closer to 400 degrees. I let the oven cool down and then set it for 325. The cookies turned out great but now I'm not so happy about the temperture issue. I did not get the extended warranty so will have to figure out if I will call for service or see if my hubs can adjust it - supposedly that may be a possibility. I don't know for sure if the issue had anything to do with using the self cleaning feature or not. Will say though, that it does do a great job of cleaning it in 3 hours. I did not need the 5 hour cycle and it had splatter from doing cornish hens the weekend before.

I'm having issues with the fridge I bought at the same time so right now I can't face dealing with the oven issue. Will just use the thermometer before I bake and self adjust the temp.