Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Frigidaire Dishwasher Repair help

Tmnca
11 years ago

The Frigidaire Dishwasher of unknown age that came with the house we bought this summer failed to drain after the last cycle it ran. It only has a few buttons - normal, rinse, high heat, delay and start/cancel. I tried starting it and then hitting cancel to see if the drain pump would kick in but I didn't hear anything - the buttons lit up but no response to start or cancel.

I unplugged it, checked the air gap and hoses I could reach under the sink (squeezed them etc) could not find anything amiss. No water came out of the overflow into the sink and the disposal is not clogged. Yes the dishwasher drain goes up to the airgap overflow and then downwards to the disposal.

Then I plugged it back in and pressed start again, it started and began filling more water, so I shut the water supply off and let it go for a few minutes, it seemed to be "washing" ok.

Then I pressed cancel again and heard only a very faint humming sound.

I unplugged it again, bailed out the dirty water, and took out the removable parts in the bottom - filter and sump area - and looked/felt for clogs. I didn't find any clogs in there.

Does this mean the drain pump is probably dead or is there somewhere else I can check for clogs?

I have actually already ordered a new dishwasher (after the first phase when it was not responding at all - seems like being unplugged for a while reset it), because I don't want to put money into fixing this older one. But if it's a simple clog I would prefer to cancel the order and keep this one running longer, of course!

Comments (4)