Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolnt8

Forgo an oven for a micro/convection oven?

M Frederick
9 years ago

Hi -

We are building and the main pieces are:
- 48 range top
- Steam oven and oven stacked
- microwave drawer

I'm debating if I should just scrap the oven and go with 1) steam oven and 2) convection/microwave. This would give me two ovens (albeit one with more of a learning curve).

Background on us - family with three boys under the age of 9. On the weekends I love to cook. During the week - we juggle dinners (sometimes quick/sometimes different shifts etc). I usually host the holidays. And I like to bake.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Foolnt8 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 7:52

Comments (7)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

A 48 range gives you 2 ovens. With that plus the micro drawer, you should have plenty of cooking power for even three boys when they hit their teens. If you have some special cooking or baking needs, that should be your guide, but as I'm reading this, you are planning 4 ovens plus a micro? That seems excessive unless you have a home baking business. And I bake a lot.

• M Frederick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Opps....I meant to say range top. My apologies. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out how to get two ovens.

The steam oven is my toy that I'm most excited about in this build. I'm just wondering if I can combine the micro with another oven (micro/conv combo) to keep it simple or if I will miss a traditional oven.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Complete overkill. Don't forget to factor in the ventilation needs into your appliance budget. Also, since you are building new, it will be much easier to deal with adding the make up air to the HVAC quote than when doing a retrofit.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I definitely wouldn't scrap the main oven, especially due to the size of your family and hosting the holidays. First off, steam ovens and convection microwaves are significantly smaller than full sized ovens, and although they will probably be fine most of the time there will be occasions (like Thanksgiving) when you will really want a normal oven. Plus, there are things that you just can't do with combi steam and convection microwaves. Both of those appliances have convection only modes in addition to steam/speed/microwave modes, but they don't have conventional radiant heat modes. I often find that there are times during baking that convection is the opposite of helpful, and it's nice to be able to turn it off.

• practigal
    9 years ago

To my way of thinking Thanksgiving is the only holiday of the year in which you need an enormous oven for the turkey. If I never made another turkey I would be fine with that what the combination she is describing replace it for all other functions? Could you bake a cookies, cake, cassarole, chicken, pork roast? I really like the smaller size I think that the oven is kind of a dinosaur I use mine about once a month. Mainly it stores the large baking pans that only fit in it.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The biggest issue for me is not the size but the flexibility. There are just a bunch of things I don't like using convection for. Speed ovens and combi steam ovens don't have a radiant bake mode, which is an important tool in a baker's arsenal. Cakes, pies, and fresh pizza are some examples. Convection is great for roasting both small and large cuts of meat, but IMO its use in baking is more limited. Though it can be nice for some things, like baking lots of smaller things evenly across multiple racks, like cookies.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 15:47

• marcolo
    9 years ago

You've got no baking in that setup. And no broiling either.