Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricemutt

AJ Madison for multiple appliance order?

ricemutt
11 years ago

I realize I won't get a definitive answer here but I'd appreciate any advice or experiences people'd be willing to share.

We're renovating a 60+ year old house and need all new appliances after redoing the kitchen. AJ Madison seems to have a lot of positive reviews on GW, so I called them up and talked to a rep (named Grace) who seemed knowledgable and said she could offer me a good deal and discount if I decided to go with AJM for our multiple appliance purchases. If it helps, we're looking to buy:

-NXR stove

-Kobe hood

-Bosch dishwasher

-33" Kenmore fridge (won't be from AJM since they don't carry this or an equivalent from an alternative manufacturer like Whirlpool)

-Possibly a Samsung washer/dryer from them as well

I was all ready to bundle this but then found a bunch of Yelp reviews that were consistently negative about AJM, esp. when it came to delivery and responses when deliveries went wrong. At least one review said that AJM excelled at customer service upon order, but the delivery was consistently awful.

We're located in CA (Bay Area) and not sure if it'd be worth the potential savings given what appear to be headaches in dealing with AJM if things go wrong. Maybe it'd be better to just diversify risk and purchase the appliances from different retailers (online or not)? It'd mean we'd pay shipping and tax and wouldn't get a bundled discount, which is what my hubby and I are debating about. Or maybe all online retailers, including big box stores, run the same delivery risk?

We don't know what the discount % is we'd get from AJM yet since we owe them an answer on what appliances we'd buy. Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• jgopp
    11 years ago

I bought a microwave and my bert oven on AJM because I couldn't get them elsewhere. They worked fine with me, but their choice of shipping was a bit odd. It wasn't like buying my other appliances through my local dealer who specified a time from the get go.

AJM said the stuff would arrive within two weeks, and then out of the blue two days before delivery I got a phone call from the delivery company (not AJM). They gave me a rough estimate (be there from noon-4) yadda yadda. I did get the stuff in good condition and it wasn't a problem.

I don't know how they package larger orders like yours together, but mine came in two shipments. I think this was just due to how their warehousing and shipping works. I believe they picked whoever was cheapest to bring my oven to my house because it came on a semi truck and the guy driving barely had any idea how to move it.

Overall, they seem worthwhile if you are willing to deal with their delivery scheduling from outsourced companies. You do save some good $$ with AJM, but the delivery might make it less worth than your while if all the appliances are scheduled to arrive multiple days.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I bought a Frigidaire gas range with convection oven and range hood from them a few months back. I could not have got a deal like that local here in southern PA. they delivered fast I had the order in a week but could have had it a few days sooner if I was free the first day they offered to schedule. Everyone I talked to at the company was great and I had no problems.

Delivery for me came direct from their warehouse in Brooklyn NY via a company they hire out called A&M Home delivery. They Two guys that brought it were standard jive talking city boys, but with a little help from me they did bring the range in the kitchen,in the carton of course. They came near the end of the time window given to me. over all it was a good deal and worked out ok. only thing is they do not install and didn't un box my stuff like a local store would have but that was not an issue for me.

• ricemutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Appreciate the opinions. We ended up using multiple providers instead since we're on a tight schedule....will definitely remember AJ Madison in the future though!

• chasent77
    11 years ago

Thought I'd add my two cents in case folks are searching for reviews. Based on GW recs I used AJ Madison, and their prices were great and customer service really good UNTIL it came time for delivery. I was told it would be a certain date and then I received a call 3 or 4 days before that it would be the next day. I had a friend there to accept the delivery since I was out of town and when the delivery guys arrived, they LITERALLY dropped everything at the front door of the apartment building, on a busy street, and drove off. They told my friend that they "don't do steps", despite the fact that I paid for white glove delivery to my second floor apartment. When I called frantically to talk to the delivery dispatcher and AJ Madison, the delivery dispatcher said the driver told them that my friend asked for the items to be left on the street. Now why would we, living on the second floor and having paid for white glove delivery, ask to have the fridge, stove etc be left on the street? In the end, they came back several hours later, and AJM credited me the delivery fee. When I talked further with them about it, they said this was their primary delivery company and they never get complaints (which I find hard to believe). I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on appliances with AJ Madison, but for their delivery folks to leave everything on a busy city street and then lie about it? I won't use them again or recommend them to others.

• Digthat
    11 years ago

We always try to buy local business; we avoid big box stores. Our Bosch dishwasher was slightly higher at AJ than Lowes, but we thought it was worth it for service, etc! NOT worth going to AJ Madison! A&M didn't first check that hoses were all tight before they hooked it up so it leaked everywhere causing damage below. And after they returned, ran the machine again, said it was fine-- the dishwasher ran with no water. AJ referred us to a repair place that couldnâÂÂt see us for over 2 wks and wanted a credit card even though it was just installed and we had a 5 yr warranty. I called Bosch! Bosch was professional; repairman came a few days later and was great. He said the machine had still had water in it and the surfaces were all wet, so if A&M guys just wiped machine dry, and checked the drain it would have ran fine. But I wonder too, shouldnâÂÂt A&M waited to run it, just in case it started to leak again, causing more damage? Bosch is great-I wonder how many other problems Bosch has to deal with bc of inadequate delivery guys. AJ Madison phone service through all of this was not acceptable; they passed the buck and werenâÂÂt concerned about their own liability-- of course, I wonâÂÂt let that go. DonâÂÂt recommend AJ Madion or A&M Home.

• brianmeek
    11 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought a full kitchen's worth of appliances from AJ Madison. I got a great price for the lot, but the delivery process was challenging because of the staggered availability of the items, and the damage that occurred to so many of the items in shipping.

Also, I ordered a custom Vent-a-hood (a copper cladding with stainless interior) as part of the lot. For some reason, the copper cladding usually goes on a unit with an enameled interior. Anyway, they got the order wrong, and the unit had to be refused/returned. It was a major, long & drawn-out argument with AJM to set things right. Had I not been VERY explicit in my order, sending emails before ordering that detailed specifically what I was ordering, AJM would have flat-out refused to do the right thing (they tried to charge me hundreds more for the hood that I had specified). But in the end, I got everything I asked for at the agreed upon price.

Summary: Expect nothing more than delivery (arrange your own installation process). Be present for each delivery, and be prepared to inspect everything carefully and refuse to accept anything that is damaged (I was shocked at how much shipping damage does occur). Over-document the details of any special order. Odds are that they'll still get it wrong, and you'll need to prove that they were wrong, not you. Order as long in advance as possible, because there will likely be delays.

• nerdyshopper
    11 years ago

What a scary list of horrer stories. I was thinking of buying a washer and wall stove on-line. I wonder if any of you has any experience with other on-line dealers like abt or U.S. appliance that differs from A. J. Madison's stories?

• patrick_CT
    11 years ago

I was just looking at these options as well for a bunch of kitchen appliances. Also saw Plessers.com since they carry some models that I can not find any where else.. so hard to make decisions on these things.

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

I actually live about 30 minutes from Abt and have ordered from them before. They delivered and installed. I can't speak to how they handle longer distance deliveries, though I assume that information is on their website, or you could call to discuss with them.

• springplanter
    11 years ago

I ordered a dishwasher from them last March including a 10 yr. guarantee extension. When I saw a lower price a few weeks later, i contacted Gene, my salesman and they made it right

Good luck

• brianmeek
    11 years ago

BTW, despite my post describing issues in getting a special order sorted out, and the shipping challenges, I won't say that I wouldn't use AJM again... The delivery folks (to me in the bay area) were actually good guys (I saw them several times). The company ultimately got everything sorted out, and they desrve big kudos for their www site - best appliance shopping / comparison site I've seen (although my experience was 3+ years ago).

• Digthat
    11 years ago

I have to buy some more appliances in a few months, so I asked around. Apparently Drimmers in Brooklyn is very good, but I haven't been there yet. Heard Plessers is good too, but they're in LI.

• diab123
    11 years ago

looking at a website called appliance connection to purchase all for kitchen reno (ajm doesn't deliver some items to my area)-----has anyone used/heard of appliance connection ?

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I used Appliances Connection. Be careful--there are two companies with the same or almost the same name (Appliance vs. Appliances). The one I used is on 233 Street in the Bronx. They were great. Prices were fair and service was excellent. Ask for Joel.

• cuddlykat
    10 years ago

omg, I read these posts just a little too late! AJ Madison and A&M Home are horrible! AJ slightly higher than HD, but AJ said the washer and dryer were in stock and HD said they were on back order. Well, AJ canceled delivery at the last minute, bc they were, indeed, on back order from manufacturer! We rescheduled for a future Friday. The Wed before, I confirmed everything was in order for Friday. Wed night-- after 5p, A&M called to ask if weâÂÂd like a free spot that opened for Thurs morning. We declined since we just donated our old appliances and would need Thursday to paint and mop the laundry room for the Friday delivery. A&M said, but actually, the appliances are already on the truck. So we scrambled and worked all Wed night for the Thurs morning delivery. Thursday morning, in the middle of our conversation to update on arrival time, A&M dispatcher said âÂÂoh I made a mistake, they arenâÂÂt on the truck!â Okay, back to Friday. On arrival Friday, one machine was dented and the other was completely a wrong item! The customer service person said she could order a new one��"sometimes machines get dented and people are Okay with that--but we could get another one. (I would hope so- these machines are not cheap!) They rescheduled delivery for following Tues.
    cuddly Kat

• cuddlykat
    10 years ago

omg, I read these posts just a little too late! AJ Madison and A&M Home are horrible! AJ slightly higher than HD, but AJ said the washer and dryer were in stock and HD said they were on back order. Well, AJ canceled delivery at the last minute, bc they were, indeed, on back order from manufacturer! We rescheduled for a future Friday. The Wed before, I confirmed everything was in order for Friday. Wed night-- after 5p, A&M called to ask if weâÂÂd like a free spot that opened for Thurs morning. We declined since we just donated our old appliances and would need Thursday to paint and mop the laundry room for the Friday delivery. A&M said, but actually, the appliances are already on the truck. So we scrambled and worked all Wed night for the Thurs morning delivery. Thursday morning, in the middle of our conversation to update on arrival time, A&M dispatcher said âÂÂoh I made a mistake, they arenâÂÂt on the truck!â Okay, back to Friday. On arrival Friday, one machine was dented and the other was completely a wrong item! The customer service person said she could order a new one��"sometimes machines get dented and people are Okay with that--but we could get another one. (I would hope so- these machines are not cheap!) They rescheduled delivery for following Tues.
    cuddly Kat

• sanva106
    10 years ago

Aj Madison did a great job on my dishwasher and induction slide in range. It all went smooth. Unfortunately for the fridge a few weekskater it came damaged and I refused delivery. The refund process was easy, I am actually glad I paid more and got it local, the hookup was better than what aj offered and warranty service will be nearby if needed.

This post was edited by sanva106 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 0:01

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

sooo much fail in one little thread

• diab123
    10 years ago

Our kitchen is finished. Appliances from AJM were a good experience, however, their delivery service from A & M Home Delivery (in the Atlanta area) was the worst customer service ever---so many mistakes and problems I can't even list them all plus they would go 1-2 days without answering either a phone or email message. A & M are supposedly "trained" installers. I'd hate to meet their other installers. Delivery guys were rude, delivered appliances nearly two weeks early, so we had to house them in our garage during the chaos of remodel since they didn't want to take them back even though the mistake was theirs. Installers did multiple things wrong and had to come back out ---luckily our contractor was still here and so he did most of the work for them to make sure it was done right that time. Bar refrig was never leveled. Integrated dishwasher does not sit flush to cabinet opening and door spring was not adjusted, so it operated like a catapult, slapping shut with so much force it broke dishes. Please find out who will deliver and install from AJM---if it's A&M, find another merchant to buy your appliances from!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler