Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yebo_gw

BS RCS discontinued - help, please

yebo
12 years ago

After much thinking and help from forum members, I decided the 30' RCS was right for me - not quite so high-powered but open burners, better price. Now designer and appliance dealer tell me it is discontinued.... I don't want a CC.

Any ideas (other than Canada Costco, which doesn't ship) where I might find a stray surviving RCS?

Comments (13)

• ratflinger
    12 years ago

Call every dealer listed for BS. Bet there are some floor models somewhere.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I would verify that information with Bluestar if I were you. The RCS is still listed on Bluestar's website, and on the websites of many e-tailers. My dealer recently (about 2 weeks ago) contacted Bluestar to get me a price on upgrading the 15k burners to 18k; he got me a price, and no mention was made of discontinuation.

• yebo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Angie_DIY or anyone else,
    Great idea to contact BS but on their contact us page http://www.bluestarcooking.com/bluestar-contact-info.html, I don't see a link for emails on product availability - Custormer Service has link for retailer list and one for product FAQs, nothng for info or the like.
    If you have another link that might lead to a response to the RCS availability question, I'd really appreciate your posting it.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Right on that page, it says:

BlueStar
    600 Arlington Street
    Reading, PA 19611
    Telephone: 610.376.7479
    Fax: 610.376.2596

Give 'em a call!

Also, another idea from a GW thread: (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0500153130203.html)

Try emailing Mandy at Bluestar. (mlopez@bluestarcooking.com)
    She's been great with helping customers reslove problems.

• SwimMomRuns
    12 years ago

Just met with a Bluestar rep last Saturday at a large appliance store near Chicago. He discussed,at length, the RNB and RCS models. No mention of RCS being discontinued at all.

• SwimMomRuns
    12 years ago

May I ask why you don't want a CC? Assume too much power if that is why you want the RCS over RNB. I'm still between BS & CC.

• yebo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are great! My old boss used to say, "When all else fails, read the directions" -- I guess I remembered the quote but not the snese of it.

I decided on the RCS because I wanted open burners (have been using a Wolf restaurant range that my place came with, so am used to the open burner thing. But I live in NYC and the building forbids external venting, so I must get a recirculating "vent". In addition to the price, the heat/vent thing seemed more manageable. Too, I don't think I'll use the RNB's power, so why pay for it?

Really, thank you.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

There is a new 36" RCS on Minneapolis Craigslist, new in box year end closeout $3600. I believe this is a dealer so it should have a warrenty.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

May I ask why you don't want a CC? Assume too much power if that is why you want the RCS over RNB. I'm still between BS & CC.

Swim, I know that question wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyway. I was quoted $2550 for a 30" RCS and $4290 for the RNB. Upgrading the burners on the RCS from 15k BTU/hr to 18k is $200 per burner, and upgrading them from 18k to 22k is free. I plan to upgrade two burners, resulting in two 22k, one 15k, one simmer, which should cost just under $3,000. This saves me $1300 over the RNB, and all I really give up is the convection oven. (I probably could put that it myself, too, if I felt it was important enough; they sell the fan on their parts list.) The RCS is just flat-out a good deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotrodding an 18k RCS

• SwimMomRuns
    12 years ago

Thank you, Angie. Interesting point you made. My husband likes to "tinker.". He asked the BS rep (visiting showroom) what prevents him from a DIY switch to the 22k burners on the RCS. The rep's response was that they don't recommend it...but, it could be done. I'll show him the link you provided.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

He would probably also want to see this video that Mojavean posted, showing how to do this step-by-step.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mojovean's hotrod video

• yebo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RCS is still being made, according to Mandy @ BS and a dealer who was recommended. Thank you, Forum members!
    Maybe dealers who aren't selling it any more are saying that it's discontinued.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

What a Donkey. Probably doesn't make as much profit on an RCS so he figures that lying is the better route.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz