Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electrolux oven won't work at all

Posted by deniselie (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 22:53

I thought it was because of a recent power surge, but checked circuit breaker and nothing is happening. No lights, nothing. Dead. It is barely 2 yrs old. This is a wall, built in oven. Any ideas anyone ? I'm so not happy !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electrolux oven won't work at all

It could well be from the power surge. If flipping the breaker doesn't get it to work then it's probably dead.

o

I didn't know a power surge could 'kill' an appliance. Why would that happen ? Do I have any recourse with the manufacturer ? We get power surges often, how can I avoid this problem in the future?

o

Power surges can definitely kill appliances, computers, TVs, etc. by burning out the electronics. People use surge protectors - sometimes power strips that you plug computers, TVs, etc. into. For major appliances, you can get a whole house surge protector. It's possible that it's just a blown fuse in your oven but unless you're very handy, you'll need a service call to determine that. It's also possible for them to replace a burned out control board. It's unlikely that you'll have any recourse with the manufacturer if it was caused by a power surge. It's possible you homeowner's insurance might cover it - but be careful about putting in a relatively small claim - they could raise your premium or refuse to renew your policy.

o

Presumably the wall oven is on its own exclusive circuit breaker so placing the breaker
in the off position when the oven is not in use would offer very good protection.

Unfortunately, when you "go commercial" there are complications, like needing 3 phase power to run the appliances.
Anna Olson had to pay for the installation of a pricey new power line to her house from the nearest 3 phase source to get her ovens up and running.
Guess it would be a business expense in her case written off over time, but payment is still up front.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Olson's Oven

This post was edited by laat2 on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 15:07

o

Thank you so much Weissman, for your input. I will have to call a tech--again. He just went over everything a couple of months ago when I complained 'loudly' about uneven heating.
Thanks also laat2 for the advice. It's good !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here