Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdelrayer

Aga Legacy Range - Reviews?

jdelrayer
13 years ago

I'm very close to making the final decision on an Aga Legacy 36" dual fuel range (went to look at the Pro+ and fell in love with the Legacy, go figure). My one hesitation is that I have not been able to find many reviews or comments from people who own or have used one. I have read the "What is an Aga" thread and found it very helpful, but thought there might be some Legacy owners out there that didn't participate in that discussion. So - anyone out there have experience with a Legacy? I'd love to hear about both the positives and negatives. Thanks.

Comments (72)

• fldirt
    8 years ago

I am in the middle of total kitchen remodel & have just ordered my cranberry 36" Legacy AGA. So glad to see all the positive reviews here. I have researched this stove & know about the oven size (took my favorite pot over to a dealer to make sure it would fit). I haven't cooked on gas in over 18 yrs & am excited to be returning to it.

• Maddie Henny
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

fldirt, please let me know what you think! We just cooked a pound of bacon for BLTs tonight in the convection oven on 3 quarter sheets. In my old oven, we would have had to not only flip the bacon but move the outer pieces to the inside to cook everything evenly. This was not the case in the convection oven. Just the flip was required.

On a different note, the multifunction oven has worked well. I like the defrost option for more than meat, and I like that I can adjust whether or not heat is coming from the top, bottom, or both when I am cooking depending on what my dish is doing.

I have been canning pickled okra and tomatoes on the cooktop this week, and the double ring burners are a must for my huge canning pot.

• fldirt
    8 years ago

They will start painting the rooms on Friday & then the cabinets will be installed next week. Getting closer & closer to the finish! Can't wait to cook on the new stove. I am still looking for a hood…

• ptowncook
    8 years ago

I am so glad I read all of these comments. I've loved AGAs forever though the Legacy version is quite different. But it's good to know that they perform well. Still a little worried about the oven size. I have all half sheets, cook for a lot of people so worry about things like oven size, but the beauty of the thing....! Pretty irresistible! Thank you all for these enlightening comments.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm in love with the look of the AGA Legacy suite as well. Multiple ovens really appeal to the way I cook. I bake frequently and am mildly concerned about the temperature evenness and reliability based on the little feedback I have been able to find. We have a 50's farm house and think it would be a good fit for our style home. I'm scared of the AGA brand because it is hard to find many reviews and the feedback I can find on the AGA sister products (mainly Heartland) is horrible. It's nice to see some who have the 44" and have been pleased.

Maddie Henny your kitchen is gorgeous!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

My AGA Legacy 36" will be delivered next week…hurrah! Can't wait to finally get to cook on it! Will keep everyone posted on cooking with it. i know there will be a cooking curve….

• User
    8 years ago

Question to those with a Legacy stove... What finish of appliances (fridge, dishwasher) do you pair with the white or ivory AGA if you don't go with the full suite? Potentially doing white or cream shaker (maybe w a glaze) cabinets, possibly soapstone or a dark grey quartzite or granite countertop and medium tone wood look porcelain tile or multi color slate floor.

• fldirt
    8 years ago

I would do either black or SS appliances. I am getting cranberry color AGA & am using black & SS

• dyan55
    8 years ago

Finally, remodeling my kitchen after a lifetime of waiting - so here I am looking at ranges. Had forgotten about Aga till I stumbled on it in my research. Though I don't cook often any more, I want to, and find myself taken back in time inspired by the Aga 36" Legacy. All of these comments are so helpful; thank you! Now, all I have to do is convince my husband, who does most of the cooking now. Wish me luck!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

dyan55…I love my Legacy 36"! I do a fair amount of cooking & so far it have performed wonderfully. Go for it!

• dyan55
    8 years ago

Thanks, fldirt! I feel like I discovered something that will make my kitchen so much more "me," and so comfortable! Fingers crossed.

• fldirt
    8 years ago

let us know what you decide

..what color?

Here's mine…cranberry

• dyan55
    8 years ago

It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• ptowncook
    8 years ago

fldirt I love my bakers half sheets for baking cookies, etc. They won't fit in the ovens will they? Do you feel like there is enough space for cooking larger things like turkeys? It's my only concern. I wish they made the legacy in the light green that they make their regular stoves in. It's my favorite color.

• fldirt
    8 years ago

You can do a small turkey (12 ish pounds) in the oven & I haven't done cookies yet but with 4 racks in the tall oven I don't think that would be problem. They say you can use 1/2 baking sheet in the large oven. I have only been cooking on mine for a few weeks but will keep posting as I go.

• User
    8 years ago

fldirt, are you still satisfied with the 36 Legacy? Do you happen to do any wok cooking? I was wondering if the center 15000btu burner is enough for the wok to work well?

• sazzer66
    8 years ago

How much space do you actually need for the 44"? I'm tight on space so I might have to go for the 36" but would prefer the 44".

• robertsonjk59
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for posting pictures and comments-- currently looking at the Legacy in white for our kitchen. Anyone have a deep love for the french door fridge?

• fldirt
    8 years ago

nctn….I haven't done any wok cooking but all the other burners work great! I couldn't be more pleased with the Legacy….

I have a french door with two bottom freezers…love it. I think it is a LG.

• rachelelke
    8 years ago

I am a brand new aga user with a propane conversion kit installed by an aga certified tech. Several questions I hope someone can answer for me:

1. When the ovens are on the back burner closest to the fan flickers. Is that typical?

2. The multfunction oven isn't heating up on convential but when I put it on convection it heats up nicely. Then I turn to the conventional oven setting. It hold temp then. Is this typical?

3. When I go to start the two burners closest to the left wok burner, there is a small spark coming out of the wok burner as well. Typical?

Thanks for any insight as the aga site is totally unhelpful, as is the manual.

• fldirt
    8 years ago

i have been using my AGA since Oct. & haven't had any problems with the ovens. Whenever I use the burners the Wok burner always sparks when I am starting up.

• donna bourgoin
    7 years ago

Wow! This is all so helpful. I am building a house and just started researching ranges. I lived in the UK 15 years ago and fell in love with the Agas that I saw in almost every kitchen of my British Friends. I was thrilled when I stumbled across the Aga's - and now I am changing my whole kitchen plan! I am a little confused - In England the Aga stayed on all day (it doubled as a heater in the kitchen) - is that the case with the legacy? I am also confused at the different doors in the oven, can someone explain what each is for? And my biggest concern is that I have 6 children - will there be enough oven space for a big family? Thank you!

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    7 years ago

The Legacy is a completely different beast from the AGA cookers you would have experienced 15 years ago! The new cookers are called Dual Control and Total Control I believe, the difference being how the 2-3 ovens and the hot plates are controlled.

http://www.agamarvel.com/aga/

The Legacy models are more like a "regular" stove in the way they operate.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

You can also buy the traditional Aga's, the ones that stay on all the time, in the US. When I was deciding on a range to buy for our new house, I seriously considered the traditional Aga because I fell in love with it when we lived in England; it cooked wonderfully. The small ovens ,in my opinion cook better, than the larger US ovens. I have four children and most days even in England, we had extra people eating with us. I never found the ovens to be a issue for cooking large quantities of food. This was even true for holidays.

When I because looking in the US, I found that were dealers that sold some reconditioned traditional Aga's as well. I googled Aga's in the area I lived and found our local source. I ruled out the Legacy because at the time I couldn't find enough information on it or it's reliability. Ultimately, I went with a Lacanche Cluny, which also has the small ovens. I've been using it for 9 months, I enjoy cooking with it and it's absolutely beautiful.

• fldirt
    7 years ago

I have been cooking on my AGA for 6 months now. Love the ovens…no problem cooking for a crowd. Burners get really hot but you can control the temp. better than traditional cook tops. Not hard to clean either…

• donna bourgoin
    7 years ago

Thank you! Now I have to decide which color! Does anyone own the Aga Fridge or Dishwasher?

• cghe1957
    6 years ago

Just purchased an Aga Legacy 36" range. Did Thanksgiving dinner- 19 lb turkey fit into the larger oven (with a disposable aluminum roasting an so that I could bend the sides up- my roaster would fit except for the handles). I made 4 sides the previous day and it was awesome to warm them up in the tall oven all at the same time. The top burners are awesome and deliver easily regulated and steady heat. For those who previously have asked- the big oven is approximately 14" (deep) x 17" (wide) and the tall oven is 14" x 10" . The broiler did a great job on fish and makes great toast! I LOVE this new oven. I will have to rethink a few old habits, but it is all for the better.

• Dee MadeupbyLiz
    6 years ago

Gave a facelift to my kitchen in a house that was built in 1888. What better way to top it off with my AGA Legacy 36. This is the best range I have ever owned. Visitors want to take it home with them. I am very pleased. It’s a very well made appliance and worth the money I spent.

• nancyharmonjenkins
    6 years ago

I want to add a comment because I bought an AGA Legacy around eight years ago, seduced by the solid fuel AGAs I had seen in the UK. It has given me nothing but trouble and servicing it has been a nightmare. To begin with, the temp control for the tall convection oven failed completely and burned the chocolate cake with which we wanted to baptize the stove. Several visits from the distributor's servicemen failed to correct the problem but it then took weeks, long weeks, for the distributor to convince Aga that there was indeed a problem and the brand new stove needed to be replaced. Beyond that, one of the five gas burners fails to burn properly (it cannot seem to regulate the air flow and goes from a regular flame to an alarmingly large orange flame that burns the bottoms of the pots with soot--clearly not a good thing). I have asked the distributor to replace it but he says he must charge me $300 just for a house call. Local gas burner repair people cannot handle it because it requires some special Euro gizmo to fix it. All told I feel this was a total rip-off and would never recommend the Aga Legacy to anyone, despite its snazzy looks. I am a professional food writer and I need a working stove. If I had not sunk so much money into this one, I would toss it and start over. PS: Everyone comments on what an attractive appliance it is. Beauty, I say, is only skin deep.

• fldirt
    6 years ago

nancyharmonjenkinsso ….so sorry that you got a lemon but I have had mine for 3 yrs now. Cook on it every day without any problems.

• rachelelke
    6 years ago

Update...resolved all the ?s i had in 2016 and there were no repair costs. Just needed to get used to this stove...love it! Bake bread in it all the time with excellent results.

• Andra Oo
    5 years ago

Does anyone have any updates on the pros and cons of the AGA Legacy? I need to replace a 20 year old 36” DCS all gas range and am considering the Legacy, but am concerned about missing the giant oven and hot burners. (The DCS never did simmer so I think anything will be better on that front.).

• johappy
    5 years ago

I'm looking at the 44" stainless. Most reviews seem positive but not recent.

• fldirt
    5 years ago

Have had my AGA 36 for 3 yrs now & still love it. I cook daily & it is everything I had hoped for.

• Chris Hughes
    3 years ago

3 years with my AGA Legacy and still loving ❤ it in my 1903 American Foursquare

• Kate Kunath
    3 years ago

Can anyone sell me the LP (Liquid Propane) conversion kit that came with your AGA Legacy 36 Dual Fuel? I want to convert the range from natural gas to propane and the kit has been discontinued. So my only hope is that someone using their range as natural gas can sell me their kit. Thanks!

• KateG
    3 years ago

9 years with my AGA legacy 36” dual fuel and still loving it.

• Ellen
    2 years ago

Is there anyone here who could help me with my 36” Legacy dual fuel range? We bought a house with one at the beginning of summer and I’m still figuring it out. The US manufacturer/distributor has not been helpful and when I sent an email to the company in the UK got no response. If someone is willing to answer some questions, please respond and we can chat either here or via email or whatever works best.

• jdub1861
    2 years ago

Kate i was able to get an LP kit a few months ago. I think it took about 4 months to get it because it was back ordered and had to come from Aga in the UK

• tlaxton
    last year

I bought a house with a cranberry Legacy, does anyone know if you can paint the doors another color, or do I need to sell it and then buy a new one

• Jody Bird
    last year

Has anyone had anyluck finding repair parts for their Legacy? I need a new burner kit and my repair person is telling me AGA isn't making them for the large burner on the right side. I've had my stove for 9-10 years.

• John
    last year

http://spares1.agarangemaster.com/site/pagece5.wplus?ID_COUNT=ce_5_matricola&LN=2&CEPV=CESpares003

This is a parts link for the Aga Legacy provided to me by a rep I spoke with at Middleby Residential, which I think is the new/current AGA distributor in the USA.

• HU-289491150
    last year

I am contemplating the purchase of a used 36" Legacy for my little farm in York, PA but am having a difficult time finding an installer (appliance store only installs Aga's that they sell). Love my husband but he is not capable. Any suggestions?

• Jay Barber
    last year

is it a direct swap ie. same size and fuel you currently have? if so you just pull the old one out and put the new one in. other than that if you have gas maybe your gas company has a service or could recommend someone

• pugham
    last year

Jody Bird why do you need a new burner kit? Is it leaking gas? We have the legacy and can find the parts but not sure which part we need. The gas company said we had a tiny leak, but we don't know if it's the valve or the burner kit. What was the issue with your cook top? thanks.

Also, try guaranteed parts or appliance parts group for parts.

This is the skematic and parts list https://www.guaranteedparts.com/picture_library/Aga/AGA%20Legacy%2044%20view%20PART%20merged_copy.pdf

• Clientum Arg
    last year

This article content is really unique and amazing. <br/>

<a title="Agencia de Marketing Digital" href="https://clientum.ar"; rel="noopener">Visit my site</a>

• Jody Bird
    last year

pugham - the large right burner isn't working correctly causing a yellow flame, making an odd sound when burning and creating lots of soot on pans. Thank you for the help and link

• seedroot
    9 months ago

I have this range in the house I bought last year. The multifunction oven does not get hot at all with the bottom only heating element selected. I'm wondering if I should just order a replacement heating element or if the issue might be something else. Has anyone navigated this issue?

• Ellen
    9 months ago

We are replacing ours ( like the red one pictured above). Support is near impossible and can only use the convection functions on either oven. And the broiler doesn’t work at all. We’re in a remote area with no repair options and since the range is nearly 20 years old have decided it’s not a good long term option. Replacing with a wolf 36”.