Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I made a big mistake...

Posted by goodbyekitty (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 21:39

We're having a 50" built in bar area constructed in our living room. I had asked the contractor to make a space for a 15" wine fridge. Today I went shopping for the fridge and I was told that a wine fridge needs to vent like a regular fridge. I should have known this as much as I lurk on these boards, but I thought all I needed to do was plug it in and voila!

Do you have any recommendations for a 15" wine fridge that is good for under the counter? I know Viking makes one but that is way over my budget. Do I have time to change the dimensions of the cabinet? Is it better to change the dimension of the fridge?

We're also having new wood floors put in the first week in December, I think the cabinets are going in after that. There will be no plumbing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I made a big mistake...

I think the Sub Zero is actually a little cheaper and I would take that one over Viking in a heartbeat.

Marvel Luxury Series 30WCMBSGL is a little louder than the two above but pretty good overall at $1400.

Anything cheaper that can be built-in is Chinese made or assembled somewhere else with Chinese components. I think its preferable to buy one American fridge to several Chinese units over 10 years at $500+ a pop.

o

Thank you for that info. And the finance lesson is something I forgot about in my dismay over the weekend trying to figure out what I was going to do.

o

Ask your counter top guy to cut a vent hole in the top as far back as possible and install a grill .This allows the heat to escape up from behind the cooler.If you don't want to see the hole, you could cut a 15" slot at the wall and cheat the back splash forward a 1/2". You don't need much of a hole. The heat will rise drawing cool air in from under the unit. Plus most coolers that are intended to be built in vent out the front near the floor.

o

We've had a built in Electrolux fridge for over 7 years now, no vents cept that which is in the front, never had a problem in the 7 years we've owned it, and NOOOOO, its not made of cheap Chineese parts!!!!

Gary

o
RE: OOps

Meant to say, Wine Fridge!!!

Gary

o

This may be a helpful workaround for someone in the same position but with an even tighter budget: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/under-counter-fridge-178816

o

This may be a helpful workaround for someone in the same position but with an even tighter budget: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/under-counter-fridge-178816

o

I've decided if I'm going to do this right I am going to plunk down at least $1300 for either a U-Line or a Marvel. It has to be done. My contractor wants to have it here first because I think he wants to be sure that the fillers fit correctly.

Thanks for the link Pigeonenglish. When I went shopping this weekend the salesman at Beemis told me that they once knew of a hospital that installed a couple hundred "dorm room" fridges underneath cabinets and they all broke down within weeks. Someone should have told them! I'm so grateful he told me that so that I wouldn't find a cheap one to throw in.

o

Perlick refrigeration devices vent in and out of the lower front toe-kick area.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here