Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Interior size of Gaggenau Combi-Steam?

kerrygw
15 years ago

So first I apologize if this has already been answered - I searched but had no luck. I'm looking into either the 24 or the 30 inch Gaggenau Combi-Steam ovens but am curious what the interior dimensions are - mostly trying to figure out if I can get a decent sized cookie sheet in there? We are redoing a kitchen and will most likely have a 36" gas range, but were planning on also doing an electric wall oven - but now hearing all the glowing reports on the Combi-Steams, wondering if maybe I could do that instead of the electric wall oven (but still have the big gas range oven for roasts and such). Any owners out there that wouldn't mind passing along the interior sizes? Their website lists cu. ftg but I couldn't find exact dimensions.

Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

My combi interior is about 9.5" tall, 13" wide, 19" deep, & we have the older version. I believe the interior dimensions are the same for both sizes of Gagg Combi ovens. The combi has 4 slots for racks and/or pans, and its rack measures 12.75" wide by 15" deep. I can put 2 casserole dishes measuring 13x9 in there, or 2 12-muffin pans or quarter-sheet pans (available at a restaurant supply place). It's too small for half-sheet pans. Our Combi came with the rack plus a full size perforated pan & a solid pan. I added 2 half size perforated, 2 half size solid pans, & an extra rack for versatility (purchased online).

In addition to our Combi, we have the (now discontinued) 27" Gagg convection wall oven and a 36" all gas DCS range. If we could only have 1 wall oven (plus a range), i.e. combi-steam or convection/conventional, I'd definitely choose the Combi. We use it every day for veggies, rice, gentle reheating, baking, roasting. It and our Advantium have replaced our old toaster oven & microwave (we do use a toaster for toast). You should also know that the Combi has replaced some of what we'd use the rangetop burners for, so you could downsize the range to a 30" if you don't need the capacity. (We like the 36" range for multiple cooks, big baking or roasting projects, & entertaining a crowd.)

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

I bought my extra pans from Universal Appliance & Kitchen Center. It took them awhile to ship but eventually I received the shipment in excellent condition. Universal is no longer listing the ones for our Combi, so I'm glad I bought them when I did. The pans are stainless steel & good quality. They aren't cheap, but then neither is the Combi, and it does extend the usefulness of the Combi for our family.

The part numbers are a bit tricky, because the descriptions are so vague. The "Cooking Insert" ones are the half pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaggenau steam oven accessories

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You have both been HUGELY helpful - thank you so much!! Is the difference between the 24 & the 30 inch sizes just for exterior looks? I think that the Gagg website listed their cu. feet as slightly different - gizmonike -which size are those dimensions for?

Thank you!!!

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Our Combi is the older 27" one, which is identical on the inside to their older 24" one. When Gagg came out with a 27" convection oven, they offered a trim kit to allow the 24" Combi to be stacked with it. However, the knobs still didn't line up, so eventually Gagg came out with the 27" Combi which simply altered the front door & control panel. I believe the current models are doing the same thing.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

gizmonike, I missed my chance to order the extra trays. Do you happen to know whether the new ones fit the old ovens?

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

The Cooking Inserts have the same part number as the ones I ordered, so it appears that they would fit the older Combi. The wire rack has a different part number. I'd try calling Universal or Gaggenau and asking them if the accessories fit the older Combi.

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again - the more I read/hear about the combi-steam the more I think it's a good choice for us. Still trying to figure out if we really need that AND a single electric oven (plus the 36in range) - when I cook I tend to have a lot of things going at once, plus we host several holidays for extended family, so... but then again on a normal basis I'm not a huge baker so... AH! Too many options!! Regardless of my indecision, thanks for all the help!

• ILoveRed
    15 years ago

I have the new combi (the 24") in a cutout that previously housed the same 27" combi that gizmonike and the rest of you have. If you remember Gagg discontinued the 27", so I had to replace my 27" with the new version in a 24".

When the new version was installed the installer let me keep the racks and pans out of the old oven before he took it from my house. I thought it was pointless, but imagine my surprise when they fit!

The new oven is a little deeper, but the old unperforated pan fits right over the new unperforated pan that came with my new oven (as does of course the perforated).

So even though the new version of the oven is a little bigger it is in depth only, which will only help you when using the shelf and your own vessels.

I still don't have my trim kit yet, but here is a pic of the new oven. And I still love the combi!

• ILoveRed
    15 years ago

kerry

forgot the pic.

also wanted to mention, that you will be surprised at how often you will use this oven instead of your regular oven.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Red, what do you have under the combi? I'm trying to figure out what I can put with it that won't look strange - I'd like to put a microwave in the same "tower" of cabinets but I wasn't sure if that was possible.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Can the combi be installed in an island below a countertop?

What kind of plumbing preparations to you need to make for it?

Thanks.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

The Combi uses gravity to drain, and generally must be placed at or above countertop height for it to drain water properly to sink plumbing, with a distance limitation. The one exception is if you can drain straight down through the floor.

You also need water in, with a shut-off valve. Ours is located in the back of the cabinet over the Combi, and we had a box constructed to cover & protect the valve. We use the front section of the cabinet to store the trays, wire rack, & other small baking pans.

• ILoveRed
    15 years ago

kerrgw--

sorry it took me so long to check back and see this post.

I had the Gagg microwave in the Aluminum (the same color as my old Combi). That is what you see under the Combi in the above picture.

I have since replaced that microwave with a GE SS Advantium (Monogram version). I am surprised at how much I like this oven as well. Great oven when you have kids around--french fries, fish sticks, tater tots, cookies, pizza, pizza rolls, bagel bites--you know the junk that kids like :-)

And it fit right into the cutout that I had my old microwave in. It looks good with the new version of the Combi.

I will post a pic for you if I check back and see that you would like to see a pic.

Susan

• foodie3
    15 years ago

a quick clarifier: the plumbed units are all the same oven cavity, whether 24, 27 or 30. the tank unit is .2 cuft smaller, or about 2 inches in depth front to back. the trick is, they all use the same size pans. however, the plumbed units can hold a standard restaurant half sheet slid over the top of the guides rather than in them. i use them for ribs, prime rib, a dozen cookies each, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, etc.

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red - If you happen to see this, I'd love to see a picture! We actually have the Advantium now but we bought a new (old) house and are redoing the kitchen there before we move in. I wasn't planning on getting the Advantium there though- I do use it (especially with my little kids) but I use it more for the regular oven feature and the mw feature than for the speedcooking. Don't misunderstand - it sees it's fair share of chicken nuggets - but I'm not sure how much I will really miss it. (One of the many decisions I'm currently trying to make!!)

Not to mention I keep seeing the discontinued 27" units on Ebay for a STEAL and start wondering if that is the way to go... but I digress...

And to everyone - thanks again for all the information - it is all getting carefully filed away!!