Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Side opening oven?

plllog
16 years ago

Are there any single wall ovens, besides the Gaggenau, which have a side opening door? Or a lift door for that matter?

Thanks!

JC

Comments (10)

• ellene_613
    16 years ago

Frigidaire, Bluestar, and American Range all make side-opening wall ovens.

• plllog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you!

Interesting that there aren't more. I grew up with one and it was so much easier to use.

After researching the brands we have:

Frigidaire -- simple, electric, less than $1000, comes in white or black.

BlueStar and American Range, I found french door gas ovens, commercial for home lines with high end features. Lots of cool colors plus stainless. Price above $3000.

The smallest BlueStar (24"), new on the market (I couldn't find anyone who shows it in stock yet) has a single side swing door. It's gas, with a "ceramic infrared broiler".

Gaggenau -- high end, modern styling, electric. Price over $3000. 27" discontinued but still available. 30" current standard. Also comes combi convection/steam.

I so appreciate the help! If anyone knows of any I've missed or gotten wrong, please do tell!

• genz2000
    16 years ago

I am also looking for a side opening oven or
    lift-style. I have an old Westinghouse that still works great. Even looks great. What happened to Westinghouse ovens? Can not find them. Are any of the ones listed above (or others) better or worse in operation? I need help. Have problems with access - with forward-opening styles. Side or lift opening style is more important for me than price range. Thanks for anyone who can help. Genz

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

The single 24" Bluestar has been price quoted at $2100.00 The oven is very large with convection and bake assist plus a infra-red ceramic tile gas broiler. Also 190 color choices no charge and you can specify right or left swing on the door.

• plllog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some years ago my mother's Westinghouse packed it in. She replaced it with a Gaggenau and I translated the manual from engineer to English for her :) The best chef at the caterer asks to do mother's annual holiday party because he likes her oven :D

• teched
    16 years ago

Can you provide the model # for the Frigidaire? I can't find it on their web site. I am short, and I would love to have a side opening oven. I have been looking at the Gaggenaus, but not sure I want to fork over the $$$$.

• jhwu
    16 years ago

You can still get the Gaggenaus on ebay for dimes on the dollar - various distributors from TX and MD have been listing aluminum, black, and white Gaggenaus (but not stainless) for around $1400 - $ 1600. That's more than 50% off retail.

I've been thinking of picking one or two up for my home remodel that hasn't even moved past the neighborhood notification stage yet! (City planning has OKed it. Now, any neighbor within 150 feet who objects will file for a Discretionary Review.

Yes, I have busybody neighbors. Only until after all this is resolved can I move on to permitting). Its been one year and two months since we initially met with the architect. 6 of those months were waiting waiting waiting for the city planning commission to OK the plans - they had problems with our facade and "neighborhood character." We had a couple of revisions there....

Anyways, I'm not sure how the warranty will hold if you buy a Gagg on ebay from a distributor. That said, I might be willing to take the gamble. At less than 50% of retail, the price is so low I can afford to have to fix an oven or two on my own dime.

• plllog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Frigidaire side opening oven is model #GLEB27S7CB for black or #GLEB27S7CS for white. You can also see it at Universal Appliance or US Appliance.

My friend who is interested in it doesn't do a lot of heavy cooking. If you cook a lot and want the best, the advice to look for a deal on the Gaggenau is a good one. I've also read here that they are discontinuing the 27" Gaggenau, which means you might be able to find a deal on one closer to home.

• User
    6 years ago

To update an very old thread, I was also looking for a side opening wall oven. Bosch has one.: Bosch HBLP451RUC.

• Door can open either left or right handed.
  • Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I have the Bluestar french door oven, but they make a side opening door. IMHO, the french door takes up less walkway space.