Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayo510

Are burners always same distance from the edge?

Mayo510
9 years ago

My range is right up against a (tiled) wall on one side - I know, it's not recommended, and I wish it wasn't there, but I didn't design it, and there it is. Now I just want to replace my range, not remodel my kitchen.

It's a gas range, standard 30" width. I measured on my current range, and it's 7" from the center of the wall-side burners to the wall. Is this a standard measurement? I'm not seeing this number listed in specs, so maybe it is standard? Looking at ranges now, it seems like the five-burner cooktop is the new thing, and I'm worried that's accomplished by sliding the center of the burners toward the edge. Do I just have to go to a showroom with a tape measure and work through them?

I really don't think I can have the burners any closer to the edge than my current 7". Particularly for those ranges with the "power burner" on what will be my wall side. My current range has the power burner on what is my counter side, and that gives me leeway for things like the big ol' canner.

If the distance is not standard, but you've encountered this problem and identified stoves that have particularly in-from-the-edge burners, I'd much appreciate those recs. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (5)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

I don't think there is a standard. If you are going to do this, you may want to put something fire-resistant on that wall, like tile or a sheet of stainless.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I just measured my Bluestar, and it's 6.5 inches from the edge of the range to center of burners.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Agree with Weed on installing a fire resistant wall covering on the "wall" side. If you are considering a slide-in range, you'll want the same thing on the back wall, as well.

I don't think you are going to find any 30" gas ranges with burners set more than 6 to7 inches on center from the edges.
    If it isn't a standard it is at least a design convention.

I recall a thread here from a couple of years ago when somebody else asked about this, only they were looking at having burners closer to the sides. (The opposite of what you are looking for). I can't find the thread right now, but my recollection is that nobody knew of any ranges with burners centered less than 6 to 7 inches from the sides.

For your present gas stove, if your side wall isn't brick or tile, I'd suggest you look into a steel backsplash plate at a hardware store that sells range hoods. Broan, Best and others make them in 30-inch widths with stainless and painted finishes for between $15 and $40. For examples, you might try googling "lowe's + rangehood + backsplash."

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Mayo510,
    Would you consider an induction range? I really worry about the wall. You mentioned that it was tiled and that is a good start. With induction, you remove the risk of a flame. Are you able to get the 240volt service required for the induction range? There are reviews of multiple induction ranges including Bosch and GE on the forum.
    Good luck!

• Mayo510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The walls are tiled - the side wall and the backsplash. It's not my choice to put the range in the corner; it's been like this for the 12 years that I've lived in the house, and at least 8 years before that, with a gas range. Short of remodeling the kitchen, it's what I've got to work with.

Thanks for the measurements and advice. I think I will just have to go to a showroom with a tape measure, or maybe even my large pots in hand. Measurements alone might be misleading, because if for example there's a bump-out at all on the side panel, you're adding maybe a half an inch there, and might miss that. I also suspect I'll have to rule out any stove with the power burner on my wall side. I was eyeing a Samsung range, but that has a power burner on the right side - their built-in wok ring won't do me any good if my wok won't fit!