Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herrdoktorprofessor

Newly released Jenn-Air Slide in Ranges

Hello all. Long time lurker.

In the process of buying appliance for a new construction.
I was at an appliance store yesterday and came across this newly released slide in range from jenn-Air.

I know they're very new but does anyone have one of these?

They look like they have a ton of features at a great price point.

http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JGS1450DS

Comments (60)

• practigal
    9 years ago

I don't see any prices online. It has five burners but I could only find descriptions of the BTU for four of them...and no local distributors yet. I have been searching for a slide in with griddle and there is little to choose from, so this could be a good fit....

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The price I was quoted is $3099 (Martin appliance in PA) for the all-gas but there is currently a $200 rebate through 12-31-14. That puts it close the price of the bosch benchmark gas range ($2700).

I was also told they would be available as of 12-15-14.

The 5th burner (in the center) is 8k BTUs. This is different from most 5 burner ranges that place the power burner in the center. Personally this is a plus. I don't like the power burner to be in the center potential crowding out the other burners when you have a big pot (e.g. pasta water) on there.

Unfortunately, the only local place we could buy this is sears but it has yet to show up in their system. I'd be shocked if they don't carry it as they carry the more expensive Jenn-air pros. I"m hoping it shows up soon as I would prefer to buy from my local sears than from an appliance store 2 hours away.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well we are taking the plunge with this New Jenn-Air. In fact we will be getting the exact unit I posted a pic of above.

It is the display unit, though it is not a demonstrator.

It will be about a month before we move in and take delivery but I'll be sure to report back and post a review.

I preferred the Bluestar RCS but my wife was really leery of the hot doors and as the saying goes happy wife, happy life.

• User
    9 years ago

Awful expensive for a tarted up Whirlpool. Good luck with a demo model. Hope you don't need any customer service. They are the absolute worst in the industry.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't say that. It has a heck of a lot of features.
    much higher btu
    Warming drawer actually is an oven.
    soft close door
    gliding oven rack
    Brass burners

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have it because of the position of the knobs on top of the range. You'll be constantly cleaning them because they will catch every bit of spatter. And I wonder if they would tend to get hot when you're using the front burners.

I much prefer knobs tucked down in front underneath a bullnose...just cleaned mine for the first time in 2.5 years! On my old range with the knobs up top, I was cleaning knobs daily.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can see how someone would have that preference.

Personally, I like that the knobs are on top. much more difficult for little hands and big butts to accidentally turn things on. I think the heavy cast iron grates will also insulate them from radiant heat.

Obviously it remains to be seen if I will feel that way over the long-term.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"Tarted up Whirlpool", Shheeshhhh

What about the folks that buy Gaggenau's, are they "Tarted up Bosches"?

SZ uses Whirlpool Compressors and ice makers, so we call them "Tarted up Whirlpools"?

WEll, I'd even bet there are some "Well Healed Folks" here in Garden Web that even drive "Tarted Up Toyotas", (Lexus)

Gary

This post was edited by dodge59 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 20:26

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I've never quite understood the belief that mass market manufacturers are not capable of producing higher end products as well. I have also seen Electrolux called "tarted up Frigidaire". Don't buy into the hype, an appliance is not better just because it's is made by a high-end niche manufacturer. I'm not saying the premium brands are ripoffs, and in many cases they do have tangible benefits, but when you take these appliances apart and see how they're constructed, the differences may be smaller than you think. Even brands that pretty much everyone agrees are high quality (Miele) break too, and in many cases the ridiculous repair costs on these products can result in them being junked when they're only a few years old.

As for Whirlpool customer service, I haven't noticed them to be significantly better or worse than their competitors. Like most companies of that size, it depends on who you talk to. Certainly there is room for improvement, but that's the case for other manufacturers too. One thing I really do think the reps could improve on in particular is keeping on top of the service bulletins. They put too much weight on the field techs to do that, which you can't count on. Example: the oven self clean issue, which was fixed about 5 years ago. Whirlpool is paying fully for the parts and labor to fix it on all the affected models, yet too many techs just get the oven up and running again and charge the customer for it without fixing the root cause or charging Whirlpool. Unfortunately, many people who called Whirlpool about this issue were told "there is no problem, it's normal" despite the fact that higher ups at the company had already decided long ago it was a problem.

As for service and parts availability, Whirlpool is superior to much of the industry. They do not use proprietary parts distribution, so anyone can order parts online for any of their products, even the high end JennAir stuff. You do not have to be an "authorized servicer" to access their repair manuals, tech sheets, and wiring diagrams. Non authorized servicers can get to it by paying a $150 yearly subscription fee, and even if you don't want to do that, most of it is easily found online for free because they are liberal with its distribution.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 20:58

• dodge59
    9 years ago

My Jenn Air fridge finally needed a service call after 8 years of trouble free service, (except for an ice maker) that died after 5 years, which was easily replaced by me for a cost of $135.

Now I did look for an independent service company to service it, (One of three that JA recommended).

I was/am sooo impressed by their service and prices, that if I ever buy another appliance, I will make sure it is a brand that the company I hired services. (They Specialize in Whirlpool).

Gary

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I've preordered the induction range for our new build, so I will be looking forward to your first impressions, HerrDoktor!
    I think that if we get into the habit of using the self clean cycle frequently, it should be adequate. For me, while there are plenty of induction ranges that do what I want and look the way I want (Miele, Dacor, etc), they aren't in the budget. If I have to make a concession, scrubbing the inside once in a while is the one I want to make.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

To HerrDoktorprofessor,...or anyone who has seen this new range in person; can you tell me if the sides of the range are SS or thin corrugated steel? I saw Whirlpools version and was not wowed by the construction. I hope these new Jenn Air slides in are more substantial for the price they are asking.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

triedandtrue: This is a slide in. All slide in ranges have unfinished sides. It's the nature of the beast. If either side will be visible in your installation, you want a freestanding range. Most basic stainless freestanding ranges have black sides. To get stainless sides, you'll want a freestanding pro style range. The JennAir JGRP/JDRP series fits that bill as do offerings from other brands.

What about the Whirlpool you saw made it seem worse quality than similar priced offerings from other manufacturers?

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Holly. They are not the worst in the industry. Have you tried to get help from lg or Samsung. They make WP seem like they care. Lol. Customer service cost money and customers shop mostly on price. Look at what happens.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IIRC the sides are black (unfinished) so it would need to be flanked by cabinets.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Hi hvtech42. I saw Whirlpools new slide in, but it has finished sides, supposed to look like a slide in, but fits where an existing freestanding range would without any modifications.

I like Whirlpool products as I have/had several of their products that have been very reliable,...but as far as their cooking products go,.....some of their gas ranges I feel are very flimsily made compared to GE,Electrolux,...

Funny though how the double oven ranges feel and look much sturdier from Whirlpool though. I guess being the largest appliance maker in the world, they would have to cut corners for an affordable range.

I hope Whirlpool won't skimp on quality with Jenn Air. I saw Jenn Airs pro stoves and they are very well made.

I hope Whirlpool turns Jenn Air into a true premium brand,...of course time will tell.

Sorry got a little long winded.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I like to see American manufacturers do well. Now with all the competition; especially from China and South Korea,..Whirlpool needs to step up their game. They certainly have 103 years experience to draw from.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Thank you for correcting me re: the finished sides. Whirlpool's had the service manual for this range posted for a bit now - I'd been meaning to download it but hadn't gotten around to it since it's 75 MB. I should've checked that before posting.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 23:33

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had our range installed today. The new Jenn-Air JGS1450DP (professional trim). Everything went in without a hitch.

For those that are curious the sides are black.

It fits really nice in the 30" cutout. After I get a chance to use it a bit I'll post an initial review.

Some things I noticed I like about it. The oven light automatically goes on when you open the door and shuts off when you close the door. The oven door is really smooth.

Likely won't get a chance to cook on it for about a week or so. I did fire up the burners though. Man the 19k BTU power burner puts out some serious power! Woah mama!

This post was edited by HerrDoktorProfessor on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 16:24

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This picture show the black (unfinished) sides

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Congrats! Thanks for posting. Can you see the black sides when it is in the cabinets? I'll be receiving the induction version whenever our kitchen is done. Can't wait!

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No you can't. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

*tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap*

That's my foot while I wait for this picture...

What is it, the busiest time of year or something?
    :-)

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry kiwigem today was insane. We closed on our house in the morning and moved out of our storage unit and had to get a christmas tree set up. I'll be back over there tomorrow morning and I'll make a point to take a pic from the side.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have to comment that the center burner is an oblong shape. It will produce a nice heat pattern with a griddle. You should be able to make some rocking pancakes on the middle burner.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice that you should mention that. The range indeed comes with a griddle that fits nicely over the center burner.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness- what a Christmas! Congrats!

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up of the range cabinet interface. Sorry for the crappy phone pic. I have standard 24" base cabinets.

This post was edited by HerrDoktorProfessor on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 9:20

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Awesome! Thanks! Can't wait to hear about how it performs for you.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Level your feet! :)

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Oh it's level and plumb. Just a funky camera angle
  • HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you recall the major issue that made me switch from getting the Bluestar RCS to this Jenn-Air was the hot door issue on the BS.

Well this morning I fired up the oven to 425 to run a burn off cycle. It was going for a good hour or so. What do I notice? Parts of the oven door gets hot and by hot I mean to a similar level as the Bluestar. I didn't have time to do a full inspection (I'll do that and post an update). It's just a bit frustrating that I will have to deal with the hot door issue without the benefit of the awesome Bluestar burners. I made sure to point this out to the wife.

Oh sweet irony!

• sandi123
    9 years ago

I would love to hear how the Jenn Air has faired this year for you???

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted my initial review see the link

Here is a link that might be useful: early review

• stp92x
    9 years ago

Just wondering if you have any updates to your review or if anyone else has had a chance to test out this range. We are seriously considering it.

Thanks.

• milbrua
    8 years ago

We purchased the electric version of this range a few weeks ago. The Aqualift cleaning system is a joke. Doesn't work at all.

I would not recommend it -- or any other Aqualift range -- unless you enjoy scrubbing ovens.

The ceramic cooktop is showing significant wear after only a few weeks of use. Our previous ceramic top looked like new after 13 years. Obviously not an issue if you're looking at the gas or dual fuel models.

We also found the preheat to be a bit slow (20 min to 375F), and it seems like the oven temperature is low in general. Everything takes 20% longer to cook compared to our previous range. It is possible to self-calibrate the oven, but we didn't bother, since we are returning it.

• stesoft
    8 years ago

Well that sucks! We already bought the DF version last week but haven't taken delivery yet. Replacing a 11 year old Dacor AG range that always has taken forever to preheat (20+ minutes to 375). One of the main reasons we wanted to get a dual-fuel was the thinking that electric would heat faster and maintain temperature better.

• stesoft
    8 years ago

It took over 3 weeks after ordering but finally got the range installed today. 1450DP. It looks fantastic, the build quality is excellent. The huge dark glass becomes a great window into the oven when the light is on, it's is very cool. The display is a lot more detailed and descriptive than I thought it would be. And the stovetop burners are quite powerful.

Obviously we don't have any experience with cooking yet, but I will say it went from off/just installed to 350 in the main oven in < 9 minutes. I let it cool for 2.5 hours and just fired up both top/bottom oven to 400/350 respectively and that took about 13 minutes to preheat with the lower oven taking the last few minutes to catch up. So perhaps something wrong with the one mentioned above.

• milbrua
    8 years ago

Mine was all electric, so that may account for the differences in preheat time (although you would assume the electric and dual fuel ovens would be identical). Quite possible that my oven was simply faulty.

Interested to hear about your experience using Aqualift. I've done a bunch of searching (after my purchase, sadly) and I can't find a comment or review from anyone that likes it. It seems to be universally panned.

• Sheila R
    8 years ago

If anyone who owns this model is still following this thread - I have a question. I noticed that in the store the griddle is placed over the center (oval) burner. Someone on this thread mentioned that placement as well. I downloaded and was reading the owners manual and it states that the griddle is to be used over the grates on either the left or right side. Have any of you used the griddle and which burner did you use? Thanks!

• stesoft
    8 years ago

The center of the oven has a the oval long burner, the griddle is definitely intended to be placed there. The griddle has feet/notches that seem to fit there. I will have to check the manual if it says that.. weird.

• Sheila R
    8 years ago

Yeah, I thought it was strange too!

• Shannon Bowman
    7 years ago

Herr Docktor. I don't suspect you're still monitoring this thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I love the look of this range but am curious how it vents. I am replacing an old downdraft Jenn Air range and the Jenn Air website suggests this range as a replacement. With that middle oval burner, I don't see how this range is downdraft venting. Do you have a range hood? My current cabinet prohibits a range hood with out taking on a meaningful construction project. Almost two years in, do you recommend the range?

• HerrProfessorDoktor
    3 years ago

Here to provide an update 5 years in. It's been a mixed bag. Still have the range and it still performs well overall. However, I have had some issues that have reduced my enthusiasm. I've now replaced the electronic panel twice and the fan designed to cool the panel also failed. I suspect that electronic panel will need to be replaced every 2-3 years. There is just not enough insulation between the heat sources and the electronic panel. There is a designated fan to keep it cool but I don't think it is sufficient. I also had the fan itself die. Thus far Jenn-Air have been pretty good about the repairs. The most recent situation was a couple of months ago and the control panel died rendering the oven unusable. Jenn-air paid for the parts and I had to pay for the labor. I doubt that support will continue into the future. Also where I live getting a competent tech to come out hasn't always been easy. One fo the companies that Jenn-air arranged to service the range was absolutely horrible and never bothered to show up at all. I think this design is flawed and makes me now weary of recommending this product.

The other thing that has become more annoying is that the control panel and the knobs tend to get really grubby from cooking. Their location on the top rather than the front has advantages (harder for little kids to play with and accidentally turn on) and disadvantages (messy). I didn't seem to mind this initially but it bugs me more and more now.

All of the non-electronic bits have held up really well (grates, burners, igniters, pan under burners etc.). The door is still operates very smoothly.

If I had it to do over again I think I would splurge and go for the open-burner range I coveted at the time (Bluestar or Capital) and avoid all the fancy electronics.

• HerrProfessorDoktor
    3 years ago

I should also remind everyone that I am most likely the very first person to have this range in their house. The specific unit I have was a floor display model (unused). The store got special permission to sell this to me since that actual production models weren't going to be available in the timeline I needed it to be.

All that is to say I have one of the very first units produced and it may have more bugs than later production units.

• hvtech42
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

HerrProfessorDoktor: Whirlpool has a service bulletin out for your unit regarding heat escaping from the oven. It mentions consequences including, among other things, premature failure of the control board. Until this is corrected, the board will keep failing.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sm-backend-production-attachments/ServicePointer-W11112349-RevA(SlowCloseDoor).pdf

• HerrProfessorDoktor
    3 years ago

thanks for the info. There is a repair guy coming today. I'll show it to him.

• hvtech42
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

By the way, what's your take on the Aqualift system having owned the range for a few years? It seems to get awful reviews and there is a class action lawsuit. It would seem to be the only big downside of this range (assuming whatever's killing the boards is corrected).

If your boards are indeed dying because of heat leakage, fixing that should help with the hot door as well, and should result in more even baking.

• stesoft
    3 years ago

In my opinion it's awful! It cleans up the bottom of the oven ok -- you basically cover it in water and let it sit. But the door and sides are permanently dirty.

Has anyone ever gotten the inside glass of this oven clean?