Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachlilyfl

Kenmore Induction Range

beachlily z9a
14 years ago

The thread on the Kenmore induction range has been interesting, but when someone posted that there may be problems after cleaning these ranges .... well, I just hit the button.

The range is about 2.5 month old, light use, but just loving it! When the oven cooled down from the clean cycle, a swipe with a microfiber cloth showed that shards of enamel were loose. On the rack rails, shiny spots indicate that the racks themselves are removing enamel every time they are used.

I'll call Sears tomorrow and find out their reaction. Silly me, I just thought those lovely blue ovens had flaking problems. Now I find that this run-of-the-mill gray enamel oven is a flake, too!

Comments (7)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

Hmmmm... very interesting! I also noticed a small spot where the enamel flaked off at the spot the rack slides back and forth. I have only used the oven once so the racks have not been moved much!

When I bought the range, I was concerned about the enameled racks -- in my old KA range, they were SS. I'd take them out and scrub them with an SOS pad until they were shiny clean. I don't think I can do that with these ones. The directions say to leave them in the oven while self-cleaning -- did the racks get clean again?

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't leave the racks in the oven during the cleaning. Nothing was dirty. I just wanted to see what would happen when the cleaning cycle is used. All but one of the rails on the oven walls is chipped from use. A bit over the top considering we only slide the racks in and out--we don't use force at all. A service call is scheduled for Thurs. a.m. so I'll just wait and see.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Oh, beachlily! Not a good thing! Be sure to let us know what happened after the service call. I can't imagine they will give you a new one.
    And then stir_fryi to have a problem, too. I was leaning very heavily toward the Kenmore slide-in.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The repair service will be here this afternoon. It was scheduled anywhere from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. I had hoped for morning--I'm in preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow and this afternoon the repair service will have to deal with my husband. I tagged the worn enamel spots--ten on one side and 9 on the other side.

If pinch-me is correct and they won't give me a new range, my husband will have them for lunch. When he was with the FDIC, he was sent to Harvard Law for 3 weeks to learn to negotiate. Luckily, he forgets that experience when we are discussing issues. Or does he?

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sears guy just left. He gave us the option of a new range or a new cavity liner for our oven. We thought a new range could have the same problem, so we opted for a new liner. It will be interesting to see how this replacement goes, but we have an extended warranty and the repair should work. Will keep our fingers crossed!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

Just make sure if they pull the stove out to repair it that they properly level it again.

I found it to be a real pain to level.

Someday when I run the self-clean I'll let you know what happens!

DH had a colonoscopy a few months ago -- the prep was much worse than the procedure itself!

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the thought! This is my 4th one--I consider myself a pro on a subject I detest! Your husband is correct!