Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fall_gw

How to push a range into place

fall
14 years ago

Question (hope this does not sound silly)...how to you get a heavy range (bluestar) into place between 2 base cabinets 30" apart. My husband was able to push it side to side to get it near the opening, but now we are wondering how do we push it into place without the side to side room to move it along. Can you actually push them straight back. And how would you ever get it back out. I do not want him to kill himself doing this. We are older and he has a bad back to boot.

Comments (11)

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

I just did a 36" (and all the times in and out to get it leveled properly). First suggestion is that you hang something smooth over the counter corners, as well as lining the "slot" along the countertop at least with some heavy "builder's paper" or the like. Second thing is to get rid of some of the weight -- pull the grates and even the door.

It will go "straight in" and you will be able to start it back out using the front legs, or grabbing the structural beam that the front legs screw in to.

The kick panel is not structural, nor is the oven door handle a good place to grab it.

I did it with a lot of patience and pair of heavy-palm garden gloves since I was grabbing the range in some generally inaccessible places. At times I needed to gently lift the rear to get the legs over irregularities in the floor.

More than likely, you will need to take it in and out twice or three times. I'd get it in once, check the level and how much you need to adjust it, pull it out enough so that you can level it, and only then connect the gas and electric.

You may want to also consider calling BlueStar to find out who does the White Glove service in your area and finding out how much they would charge for just the set-in. Other installers are possible as well -- in San Francisco, independent installers (not the firm BlueStar contracts with) wanted to charge me $200 to take the range up the half flight of stairs and install it.

You might want to find out if a local rental house can get you an "air dolly" or "air sled" or the like. I didn't try, and wish that I had.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

What is an air dolly/sled?

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

I would guess bar soap rubbed on the floor would work too? Earlier in my career, I was involved with substation transformers. When they were installed from the low boy truck onto the foundations we would would take large square timbers, rub ivory on them, then winch the equipment off the truck and slide it across the timbers onto the foundation. By the way, only ivory soap would work correctly.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Hovercraft for appliances!

{{gwi:1485724}}

• fall
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do you pull it out...I am assuming it lifts the unit and you can slide it around, but once you let it down, I would guess you need to tilt the oven?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Turn on the vacuum cleaner blower and VROOOOOOM, it lifts up as the pad inflates. Turn it off, it deflates, and you slide the pads out from underneath. Lift the body, not the feet.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

You might think about placing some "Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" (UHMWPE) under the feet. This material is available at "Woodcraft" stores and other suppliers. Woodcraft sells an adhesive backed version that is 3" wide by 10' long (it's rolled up) for $20. Their trade name is "Slick Strip". Other sources have a "no adhesive" version. The material is very thin...about .030" thin.

The UHMWPE is so slippery (much more so than Teflon) that the feet will slide in any direction once they are on the strips.

I used this material under the base of my 400 lb double wall oven so that if I should ever need to remove the oven for repairs, the entire oven glides right out of the opening (onto a platform I built to hold the oven).

Warning: Heavy items, such as a Sub Zero refrigerator or a heavy range, can actually cause a permanent depression in hardwood flooring as you move them along the floor. The "pounds per square inch" pressure on the wood actually compresses the wood fibers. You must place a thin board (such as the common darker brown "Pressed Wood" particle board sheets) on the floor when moving a big item around. This applies even if a heavy appliance has wheels which turn freely in the direction you move the item.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodcraft Slick Strip

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

remove the top plates and grates, this greatly lightens the range and also allows for a better grip, then slide the range in to place and replace the top plates and grates

• johnnytugs1
    14 years ago

try the product "moving men" they go under the legs sou can slide it. you won't be able to get them out but they won't harm the floor.
    john

• thull
    14 years ago

Magic Sliders. In moving it in/out, I did get some light scratches on the wood floor, but it was dirty at the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Sliders