Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Anticipating a leak in a DW. What to do/how do you know?

kirkhall
9 years ago

Hi all,
I usually hang on out build/remodeling (sometimes Kitchen, Bath, or HVAC). Anyway, first appliances post...
Frequently, in the kitchen forum, someone has to replace their kitchen after a "DW floods" and ruins --you name it--cabinet, flooring, lower floors, etc.

My DW is nothing fancy, and was in place (newer than the other appliances in the house) when we bought our home in 2003. While a new kitchen is in the plans in the next 5 yrs or so, I don't want to be forced into a kitchen remodel prematurely due to an "unexpected" DW flood.

We have normal water (actually, really good. Not hard, nice and clean, springy water here in the PNW). I have done nothing to clean my DW. It does that itself, ime.

But, I am noticing that the main door seal is starting to have some build up at the bottoms.

In the kitchen posts where their DW flooded the place, people will comment that when the insurance came, they pointed out that the seal was bad and here is how they should have known. Any pictures? How do I know if I am living a risky kitchen life? What to do about it? Would an appliance repair place be able to replace it? Or, is this something I just replace an otherwise perfectly good DW over to prevent thousands in damage later (this would be a hard sell to my partner)?

For those who have experience a great DW flood, or see them regularly because you are in the business, any pictures you could share would be great!

Comments (3)