Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Questions about a Hobart Dishwasher

MarinaGal
11 years ago

We recently purchased a home with a Hobart commercial dishwasher. My guess is that it is about 18 years old. We have a second dishwasher for everyday use. I don't have a manual for the Hobart. Although I can figure out how to turn it on, I wonder if there is anyone here who has used one and who can tell me when I would want to use it - large pots and pans, glassware, utensils? I did ask a local appliance store, but other than telling me how lucky we were to own one, that it has a super short cycle, and that it would likely never break, I didn't get a ton of specifics or get a clear understanding about its optimal use at a residence, which I realize is not its intended use. It only has those green flat commercial bins in it. (Previous use of the house had a quasi-institutional purpose, hence the Hobart.)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)

• relic
    11 years ago

If it is like the one I used briefly it is mostly for final
    washing/Sanitizing of already perinsed half washed dishes. Great
    for glassware and such, but not designed for large amounts
    of food debris or any cooked on food.Cycle time is only a few minutes.

• User
    11 years ago

Are you sure it's actually a commercial version? Once upon a time, Kitchenaid DW's were known as "Kitchenaid by Hobart" and were some of the best and most durable residential DW's ever built were Hobart residential ones.

Other than that, if it is a true commercial DW, it's not that useful as it's not designed to really clean anything, just sanitize. If you've ever gotten a water glass in a restaurant straight out of the DW all hot and steamy with lipstick still stuck on it, then that's what you'd get out of it unless it were washed properly first.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Post a picture of your unit to clarify what you have, or the model number.

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is definitely a commercial dishwasher. Attaching a photo - model number is LX18. While I could occasionally use it for glassware, my thought is that I should sell it and buy a second dishwasher, or use the money for something else..... I appreciate the feedback - I really couldn't figure out the use. (Prior owner had a lot of large functions involving glasses, cups, etc.)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

"LX18 requires 180�F incoming water temperature."--from the manual.

That would be enough to get rid of it right there. No home hot water heater can supply that temperature hot water due to the potential of scalding burns. Without it, and without the commercial DW detergent that is required, the DW cannot function very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: LX 18 manual

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GreenDesigns - we do have a commercial water heater that feeds into the Hobart - just asked the plumber. We also have a separate residential water heater. It is not worthwhile for us to own the Hobart from a number of standpoints, I now realize. I have already emailed some restaurant friends of mine to find someone who can take it off our hands. Thanks for attaching the manual. I should have looked on line for it!

• lcubed
    11 years ago

from the manual, looks a true dishwasher (versus a sanitizing glass washer like the hobart AM-12)

• beaniebakes
    11 years ago

MarinaGal-- There's a poster on egullet.org who goes by the name andiesenji. She's posted about her commercial Hobart dw and can answer any of your questions. You may have to register on the site (free) to send her a private message or search the forum.