Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmm6797

Wolf gas range owners- how do you clean stove?

cmm6797
12 years ago

Loving our new Wolf all- gas range but can't seem to clean it. The manual says to use a gentle degreaser but none seem to actually clean the stovetop. Forget about getting the cast iron grates clean! Looking for some real-life advice on how to clean the black stovetop as well as the cast iron grates. Thanks in advance.

Comments (96)

• rhome410
    8 years ago

Interesting! Do you mean a wire brush/wire wheel that attaches to your drill? Is there a certain size/hardness? Did you use it dry, or use something with it? Thanks for sharing. If we ever sell, I figured I'd have to get new pans. Thanks for sharing!

• mcnacht
    8 years ago

It's a copper colored wire drill attachment that I got at Lowes. Here's a not very good video clip that shows it still comes out shiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTt9o5fRyPE. I had already done a lot of it, and it was hard to apply enough pressure while holding the phone with the other hand. I tried to keep it moist, but not too much water so it wouldn't harm the drill.

• rhome410
    8 years ago

Thanks! And...haha... I gave my husband a bad time this morning for suggesting we look on YouTube for a video!

• ctopher52
    8 years ago

Good luck with all of these. If you have older Wolff porcelain pans that have "BAKED ON FOOD" this is the only thing I have found to remove all the baked on crystallized food and residue. I have used every product, every bag, every tip I can find and always end up disappointed. Posted to YouTube (Wolff stovetop porcelain pan cleaning) Google, etc. If you have pans that have had some use and you want to have your stovetop look new again you will not be disappointed anymore.

• avamom2012
    8 years ago

Hi ctopher52, thanks for posting your youtube video. Most enlightening on enamel and you truly brought those back to life. Appreciate your sharing that with us.

• Teresa Bishara
    7 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm going crazy trying to clean my black Wolf range also. It has the yucky dull spots all over, and I'm so over it. I spent over 2 hours cleaning it today and now that it's dry it still looks terrible.

I did find this link:

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/resources/WolfCleaningReference.pdf

so I thought I'd try to find the fume free Easy Off and try the Press n Seal trick with it. Wish me luck! I'd love an update if anyone has a success story to share!

• Lynn Miller
    7 years ago
    Try using a brand new single edge blade and glide it under the grease.
    GENTLY. It works like a charm.
    I'm needing to know how to clean in between the glass panels of the oven??? A drip mark and dust is driving me crazy!!! I tried unscrewing the door but couldn't get in either way...without removing the door altogether! Help!!!!
  • rctaylor3
    7 years ago

Good old fashioned baking soda on my black burner plates- works a treat with a little elbow grease!

• Mary McNear
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just used an SOS pad on mine and I don't see any scratches from it. I don't cook a lot but the previous owner did. My grates and rings are going through the dishwasher.

• Lynn Miller
    7 years ago
    Just as a point of reference on the naked on grease on the cooktop...ie dull spots...I used a new single edge razor and scraped all the baked in grease off and they look like new!
    Try it but make sure you use a new blade!
  • rctaylor3
    7 years ago

I use baking soda and a damp bar rag- really does the trick- even with tough burned on spots

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can clean the burner rings on my Wolf GR304? The burners are sealed. I am crazy about trying to keep the range clean. Thanks!

• agk2003
    7 years ago

susanbeck226 do you mean the discolorations on the cast iron rings that cover the burners? no idea! i've tried everything including my trusty st. moritz oven cleaner that cleans EVERYTHING. and i am nuts about keeping it clean too, i have no idea how the discolorations got there. also funny- we have this small round discoloration on the black enamel top that surrounds the burners and it's from a blueberry that fell onto the enamel while i was making oatmeal. cleaned it off right after i finished cooking but the discoloration will not go away. so weird.

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

agk2003 I was actually talking about the silver rings between the black enamel top and the burner itself. I must have had a spill and I waited for everything to cool down before trying to clean it. Frustrating! And, my cast iron covers are also discoloring and I know that I haven't spilled on all of them. I have no idea what is causing the discoloration. I guess I have to be less crazy about keeping the stove clean because I do use it all the time. I didn't buy it as a show piece, but for the money we spent on it, I do want to keep it as clean as possible. I'll have to look into the St. Moritz oven cleaner. I have never heard of it but am anxious to look into it. Where do you buy it?

• Marcus Owens
    7 years ago

I have the Wolf SRT366 with a similar problem. I've had it and other Wolf products for 6 months and just realized after cooking with a tomato sauce the other day that some had spilled underneath and gotten on that burner ring. I read the manual and have come to understand that once it's "baked in" it might be permanent. I called Wolf and they suggested trying the baking soda, 409, or a product called Carbona 2 in 1 oven rack and grill cleaner. I'm trying the baking soda method first then the other two if I get no results. I realize the damage might be irreparable but if I can even lighten it that would be an improvement. It's just a bummer that it happened so soon.

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

Marcus, Please let me know what works for you. My Wolf is only 2 months old. the manual says not to clean surface while it's still hot, so of course, by the time everything cools off, it's "baked in." My husband keeps telling me that it's a stove that's meant to be used, and I understand that, but I just want it to be as clean as possible given the price of the stove.

• agk2003
    7 years ago

I used some st. Moritz spray on one of the burner rings today when some lentil soup splashed. Got it right out. It's basically an oven cleaner. Is there a reason you wouldn't try a bit of easy off? I realize stoves are meant to be used but I can't look at food stains all over a stove, especially one that was so expensive.

Susanbeck226, they have it on amazon but it's over priced there. My sister picks it up for me for around 5 bucks.

• Marcus Owens
    7 years ago

Susanbeck226, I've tried the baking soda, 409 and ammonia overnight - nothing. I'm moving onto the Carbona now. Look at this thing! You wouldn't guess that it's only 6 months old.

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

Marcus, Please let me know how the Carbona works. AGK2003 has suggested some easy off oven cleaner. I'm going to try that because I know that's readily available at the stores. I've never heard of Carbona--did you have to buy it online? Good luck!

• Marcus Owens
    7 years ago

Susan, yeah I bought it on Amazon yesterday. It should be here Thursday. I was thinking of doing the easy off too but I just decided to go with their recommendation and probably give up if that doesn't work.

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

Marcus, Please keep me posted. Good luck!

• alurisunitha61
    7 years ago

I spilled some oil on the stove top and my stove doesn't light up and clicks and clicks for ever. Help please...

• Marcus Owens
    7 years ago

Susanbeck226, the Carbona worked! I'm thinking the Easy-Off probably does too. The key for me was to lightly use a Brillo pad on the ring the day after you let it set overnight. Obviously, I didn't use the large bag it comes with (will use it to clean oven racks later) and I only used a little of the Carbona for the burner. And after I cleaned it off I let it sit for a day to make sure it was dry. It did leave the top and bottom of the burner with a white crud I couldn't scrub off, but since you can't see them under the cap I was fine with it.

And I suppose if I got a bit more heavy-handed with the Brillo I could have gotten the ring even shinier but I just got it to about where all the others are. It worked when I put it back on even though I put it through several different cleaning methods so I'm super pumped!

• susanbeck226
    7 years ago

Marcus, I'm so thrilled that the Carbona worked. The ring looks great--what a relief! I'm going to order some of the Carbona. It sounds like a great product. Thanks for your tips as well. Happy Cooking!

• kenfrsinc
    6 years ago

After many attempts to clean the black porcelain cooktops of 2 Wolf stoves in two houses, I have found that Bon Ami and a non scratch scrubbing sponge work well. You must use a lot of elbow grease, but it works fairly well. Have not tried the oven cleaner in a bag but may next time I do deep cleaning.

• wanecel
    6 years ago

I too have a Wolf 36" free standing range. I admit I'm a foodie and love cooking on it with my le creuset cookware. I try to keep up the black shiny surface with hot sudsy water and the same blue srubby every one uses... PLUS as needed use Weiman glass cook top cleaner. Occassionally tough spots need to let solution sit and dry for a while. I use paper towel to wipe up

• ervikingo
    6 years ago
    The covers on my burners are blotchy. I wonder if I should “season” them like my cast iron pans.

Thoughts appreciated!
  • cliff321
    6 years ago

CLEAN THE BLACK PORCELAIN ENAMELED PARTS WITH A SST OR BRASS SCRUBBIE & ANY SOAP. You will not scratch anything. Porcelain enamel is glass and is baked on at above 2000 degreed F.

• cr8zbaby
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How the heck do I clean the crevices between the black porcelain top and the body of the cooktop? Toothpicks flip some pieces out, but there is grease down there too...BTW...For the black enameled top, I spray with a very watered down solution of Simple Green and a microfiber cloth.

• Marcus Owens
    6 years ago

cr8zbaby, I've been looking for a better solution as well. What I've been doing is using the crevice tool on my vacuum and a table knife to get those crumbs as best I can.

• T D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Those crevices drive me crazy--I have a DF304 and there are inserts on the sides of the black porcelain and the stainless--but not on the front and back. I'm looking for something similar to block the junk from getting down there in the first place.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have an older Wolf open burner gas rangetop. With the difficult to clean black enamel burner pans. I finally found a cleaner that really works--DVO94995295 - Emerel Multi-Surface Creme Cleanser.**

Bought it from a garage sale just because it was cheap. Turned out to be one of my best-ever garage sale finds. Emerel is 'mildly abrasive'; a little goes a long way. Minimal elbow grease for maintenance cleaning, removing those ghost-like baked on grease spatters easily. (I had never let the cooker get grossly dirty.) LA Awesome spray cleaner works pretty good for day to day cleaning (the best of all the spray cleaners that I have tried.) I break out the Emerel about once every three weeks-month. We don't cook a ton but bacon does get fried almost daily.

Fortunately, the burner pans are removable on my open burner cooker. I had a sealed burner cheapo range before the Wolf. Cleaning a sealed burner top was a lot bigger pain, IMO. Maybe use a stiff stubby bristle paint brush (cut the bristles off short on a cheap paint brush)...and some dental picks, sculpting or auto detailing tools? Along with a vacuum?

**Amazon has Emerel but only in a case lot of 12 (a lifetime supply!) Check w/ local janitor supply stores for purchasing a lesser quanity.

• Lynn Miller
    4 years ago

How do you clean the double glass on the oven door?? There’s dust in between the two pieces of glass that I cannot get to! I tried taking the screws out but I still cannot separate the glass enough to get in to clean it! Please help!!!

• LINDA BIDDLE
    4 years ago

Look on youtube.YouTube. Someone did a video and showed exactly how to clean between the glass panes.

• T D
    4 years ago

Hi Linda Biddle, can you please post the link? Thanks!

• N A
    4 years ago

I have a 9 month old Wolf gas range with black porcelain bottom. I primarily use a few burners and one was particularly dull due to spills, splatter, and carbonization. I tried several recommended cleaners but nothing took off the dull crusty debris. My brother makes a line of eco-friendly cleaners so I asked him for a recommendation. He suggested soaking the area with hot damp paper towels with Blue Dawn detergent for a few hours. Then apply his product EZBrite Cooktop Cleaner. It’s a cream paste that I applied with A 3M scouring pad. I added a few drops of dawn to the pad to help lubricate the area. It removed all of the debris and left a polished like-new finish. My only regret is that I didn’t take a “before” picture. Hope this helps.

• susanbeck226
    3 years ago

Does anyone use an oven liner to line the bottom of your oven? If so, which one do you recommend?

• susanbeck226
    3 years ago

I'm looking for the EZ Brite cooktop cleaner and can only find a EZ Brite cleaner and conditioner in a gel. Where did you get your product? Thanks!

• Marcus Owens
    3 years ago

I bought it on Amazon back then. But I think someone mentioned it had been discontinued.

• Amy Johanson
    3 years ago

Anyone find a solution for cleaning down/under the front crevice of the range top? I also use toothpick, but I know there is so much more that has fallen down. I’ve tested the side inserts on the front, and they fit. Just want to get the front crevice cleaned and have considered ordering additional side inserts. The issue is they aren’t the right length to fill complete width of range top.

• sashap1234
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Have had my Wolf rangetop for under a year. Have never dropped anything on it or used any type of abrasive cleaner but recently discovered two scratches on the black enamel. I'm obsessive about these things! Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or any idea how to prevent more?

• Nancy
    3 years ago

To clean the front and side crevices, I moisten edges and corners of junk mail envelopes and cards and slide them in crevices then lift and debris is removed.

• Amy Johanson
    3 years ago

Nancy, this is genius. Just today I was thinking, “I need to find something I can slide down the crevice. Junk mail is so smart. Better than a toothpick. I’m giving it a try tomorrow. Love the stove just don’t understand the design with that open crevice. Have a great rest of your week.

• ucan2
    2 years ago

Does anyone use a stove cover on their wolf SRT366?

• Marcus Owens
    2 years ago

Not me. I just use dish soap and water. I do use a small air blower for my computer and a narrow butter knife/knife to remove crumbs from the cracks - works great.

• aileen_ong56
    last year

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the back of the stove where the vent is? there are splatters in between the grills and ita driving me crazy

• cliff321
    last year

Stainless steel scrubbies and dish soap. I was afraid to use them for fear of ruining the shiny finish. ButDishwasher the Glass enamel is impervious to scratching from the SST scrubbie. I have never managed to scratch it, but not for lack of leaning into it and scrubbing hard. Take 'em over to the sink. Lay a tea towel down and go to town on them. Toss the cast iron grates in the Dish washer. I was afraid they'd rust but they don't. Be careful handling them, they Break; the castings are real garbage. I broke my first set & had to replace 'em.

• aileen_ong56
    last year

sorry I wasnt clear in my previous comment. i am looking to clean this part of the stove since there are splatters inside that i couldnt get i to

• ci_lantro
    last year

I have that raised vent only behind the griddle on my open burner range top. So it can get really nasty looking in that location. I use Diversey Emerel Multi-Surface Creme Cleanser on it as well as the black porcelain. If it is really, really bad, as in varnish/ black carbon, I use a Brillo pad and Emerel. Emerel with some elbow grease and a micro-fiber cloth on the porcelain. It is hands down the best cleanser that I have found for cleaning the Wolf.