Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf gas range owners- how do you clean stove?

Posted by cmm6797 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 19:43

Loving our new Wolf all- gas range but can't seem to clean it. The manual says to use a gentle degreaser but none seem to actually clean the stovetop. Forget about getting the cast iron grates clean! Looking for some real-life advice on how to clean the black stovetop as well as the cast iron grates. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf gas range owners- how do you clean stove?

The cast iron grates have never been a problem for me, and after awhile will 'season' like a good cast iron skillet. We scrub them with the scrubby side of the sponge if necessary, but otherwise, don't use soaps or chemicals so that they can season. The black shiny underpans, though.... Grrr. I gave up, and decided to have a stove that looks well-loved and oft-used. ;-) We use degreaser, the scrubbie side of the sponge when necessary, and leave it at that. I've tried soaking and every other method I can think of. I think I even tried no-fume oven cleaner at one time. I love my Wolf rangetop, but that black shiny surface, I think, wasn't a good decision and I'm surprised they've never come up with something better.

o

Maybe something has changed in the pan finish, as our Wolf dual fuel 304 range has the black shiny pans under the burners, and they're a breeze to clean for us. We just wipe them clean after use, and they still look like they did the day we uncrated the range 8 months ago.If they're particularly bad, a little kitchen spray cleaner helps the process. I boiled over some homemade cranberry sauce last week, and it came right up with no problem. Can't even tell it happened.

o

Srjohnt, you aren't the first who's said they clean right after a spill, but I always find that 'right away' means you're messing with hot stove parts, or after it cools, the mess is cooked on. I think the worst on ours is cooked on grease... It's flat, so just leaves a dull spot, not something to get ahold of and scrub off.

Of course, part of our problem is that we have an 8-burner rangetop, and often other burners are in operation and it's all hot for too long...and all ages of our family uses it, so it's not just me with control over cleanliness.

o
RE: how do you clean stove?

Wanted to clarify... Of course, we clean up major spills and boil overs right away, even when it means stopping everything and pulling the stove apart, but it's the constant spatters and splashes, and unnoticed little pieces of dropped food that are the ultimate problem.

o

What I have found that works on our Wolf 36" AG range:

1) Dishsoap w/ a sprinkle of BKF and a blue scrub sponge will remove most "gunk."

2)Dawn Power Dissolver Spray (gel) sprayed on, and left to sit for ~15 minutes is terrific for the really stubborn baked on residue. Use a blue scrub sponge after waiting the 15 min., rinse and then dry.

3) For quick wipe-downs/cleaning (even during those rare periods of un-use, the top of the range does show the dust!), I spray my alcohol-water-lavender oil on the burner pans (all burners off!), and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth or paper towel.

Once you've gotten your "system" down, cleaning the burner pans really is fairly quick and easy.

o

>>2)Dawn Power Dissolver Spray (gel) sprayed on, and left to sit for ~15 minutes is terrific for the really stubborn baked on residue. Use a blue scrub sponge after waiting the 15 min., rinse and then dry.

That stuff works great. 409 spray otherwise. 4+ years on my Wolf DF and the black is still in real good shape. A stove can be clean and still look well used.

o

Man... I just have no luck, I guess. We used the Dawn Power Dissolver all the time, and still had the dull, rough spots of cooked on grease... At least I think that's what it is.

Here's an old photo. The duller spots have expanded since then...I'm just waiting til they cover the whole surface and maybe it'll look better. ;-)

The spots don't look white in person, just barely rough and not shinyPhotobucket

o

Try the Power Dissolver covered with plastic wrap and let it sit a long time, overnight maybe? I do have one spot it wont help, I think it was a tomato based sauce that went unoticed and then cooked in.

o

Rhome, something may very well have changed between your range and mine. Your cooktop and burners look nothing like mine, and yours looks much more difficult to clean. I did nothing to ours except walk into the kitchen and take the picture. It's easy to keep like this all the time.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

srjohnt, Your picture shows the Wolf DF with sealed burners.
Rhome has the Wolf all gas range.
The burners and grates are different on the two models.

o

Yes, francoise, I understand that they are different. the real question is: is the black underpan a different composition?

o

I put my all gas 36 inch black pans in a black garbage bag and spray with oven cleaner. I leave over night and they come out sparkling clean. Between cleaning like this I just wipe down and admit I cook every night. It is a terror to clean. When I expect company or the holidays I do the oven cleaner.

o

I'll have to try that for "deep cleaning" lgiorgi. I keep meaning to do that to more thoroughly clean my oven racks, but haven't yet.... Happy to read that it works!

o

I've had an AG Wolf for 8 years and I can tell you your grates look great compared to mine. Our pans look like yours only more so. However you're right about "over time" as the scratches and stains become more pronounced and spread more over the cooking surfaces the more we don't notice it(like most I'm right handed so I favor the right hand side burners). It looks more like a well used tool at this point and we rationalize it to being more the way it should look not unlike my De Buyer saute pans. I figured that when we sell the house I'll just replace the pans.

o

I have the same problem as Rhome. I do say, well, I bought it to USE it. A good soak in very hot soapy water, then BKF, gets a lot off, but not those dull (white in photo) patches. I too am thinking that when we sell the house we'll need to replace those pans.

o

What about the the ring that is left with the starter. How do you clean that? It gets a build up. I try TOOTH BRUSH. but it still looks stained. As in rhome's photo.

o

I don't even worry about that ring, lgiorgi, unless it gets full of crumbly burnt stuff and we brush or vacuum it out. My black pans now look far worse than in that photo above! ;-) I'm jealous of how srjohnt's look, but we just aren't fastidious about cleaning under the grates after every use. Too hot, too heavy, and too many (8 burner rangetop). Maybe when we have an empty nest and there aren't so many (hurried) cooks, I can keep better track of it myself. I missed the garbage bag technique and should give that a try...although I hold out little hope for the pans in the shape they are now.

o

I don't have a Wolf, but I do have a Viking AG that came with the house. The previous owner left it absolutely filthy. Layers & layers of grease, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. A degreaser called Greased Lightning did an amazing job getting all of it off, especially on the enameled parts, and with very little scrubbing. You should've seen the grease in the drip tray.

There are some burnt on spots on the grates that I haven't gotten off, but I haven't really tried. I like it clean but don't care if it doesn't look showroom new. I get the Greased Lightning at Home Depot BTW. And the Viking is getting the boot next year.

o

You all are going to think I am nuts, but I use an SOS pad on my Wolf's shinny black pans. I use hot water and gently scrub them and I never have any scratches from the pads. I use to do this on my old black enamel gas cook top pans and it never hurt the finish and they looked like new.

o

What about a steam cleaner? Would that work?

o

HELP! I am a professional wedding cake baker that has been using an electric stove and I am thinking about buying the R366 all gas convection. I am known for my moist cakes. My questions are... Is the baking in this unit even if I have pans on all three racks? Does it take 30 minutes to warm up as I have heard? Do you find the baking to be more moist in this type of oven? Is it hard to figure out the inner temp? Once I buy it that's it! I am being offered a floor model for $3.800. Also, do you experience hot points? Thank you!

o

I am going to look for Greased Lightning and maybe get myself some SOS pads! I don't think that's crazy at all. Mine couldn't really look worse. Maybe scratches would help blend in the dull spots. ;-)

I think the steam cleaner might do well on fresh grease or food, but I doubt it would do much on the baked on stuff... But maybe.

LeCake, I see you've started a new post with your range questions. I'm glad, as you'll get better answers to your questions that way. Best wishes!

o

LeCake, You should start a new thread about baking in a Wolf AG. You will never get any answers to your questions if you ask them in a thread about cleaning the stove top. Also you might want to do a search about baking in a Wolf AG first, you might find some answer that way.

o

Shoot... Was at Home Depot last night and forgot about Greased Lightning... and SOS pads.

BUT I did spray my black pans with oven cleaner and have had them in garbage bags. It ended up for longer than overnight, because of...well, life and its activities. ANYway, this morning I got them out and they are looking MUCH better!!! I wish I'd tried this long ago, and they probably would've come completely clean. Right now, they've been scrubbed, resprayed, and rebagged to see if they can get pristine. I will do this at least once a month or so, and the stove should stay much nicer looking. THANKS

o

I am so happy you were happy with the results of my suggestion about the oven cleaner.

o

We have a 36" DF. For the first 6 years, it cleaned easily with warm water and Dawn. Now I have small baked on grease-type splatters, and I have tried all the over the counter "de-greasers", no luck. I have not tried SOS or any of the cleansers or scrubbies, as I was afraid it would scratch. I use Easy off to clean the burner caps, so I suppose I will try it on the enamel surface...but can't take them off and bag them, they are permanent. If any new suggestions, please advise....

o

Redoingit, could you just drape a garbage bag over the top after applying the cleaner? Not exactly the same, but maybe enough to help.

o

rhome410: great suggestion, thanks! I will try it that way. When I do the burner caps, and other oven items with Easy Off, I just put them on my deck on some newsprint....totally saturated. I like the garbage bag idea and will try it!

o

rhome410: worked like a charm! Thanks for the suggestion. I actually covered it with Glad Press N Seal, and left it overnight. I would not have used Easy Off on an enameled surface, so thank you for suggesting it here! I use it on the inside of my gaggenau combi oven (not a manufacturer's recommendation) with equal success. Thank you!

o

I'm happy you found a solution!

o

Here's a pic....this was the burner used most. The baked on grease spots were almost translucent, but dull. All gone!

o

That looks really great! Like new!

o

Oh my word! I am so happy I found this thread. I love cooking on my Wolf gas top, but the baked on grease crud looks horrible! It has made me regret getting the cooktop.

I am so excited to try the Easy Off and Press and Seal. Thanks for the tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here