Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Countertop microwave that'll match GE slate?

ibewye
9 years ago

Hi all, new kitchen in new house and decided to go with GE appliances in slate color. We have a slide in range going into the island but we had planned on using the GE slate colored OTR microwave and putting below the island (obviously not using the vent.). Unfortunately our cabinet layout prevents us from using a 30" wide microwave. There is a ge profile microwave( in slate color) that sits on counter but it is $160 more than the OTR one we purchased.
Does anyone know of a countertop microwave in the 28" range thatll match the GE slate color? Doesn't need to be perfect cause it'll hardly be seen but close would be nice.

Comments (10)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Just get stainess. In everything. Slate is a one off not likely to last. Especially since this is GE's second go around with trying to bring it to the market. It already failed once.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Pick an appliance finish because you want it, not because everyone else is doing it. Stainless can be a pain to keep looking good over time. If you want the slate, get the slate and don't worry about matching the microwave. One of the selling points of slate is that it works well with other appliance finishes, worst case scenario if one of the appliances breaks well before the others and slate has been discontinued it shouldn't be a big deal to replace that appliance only with a different finish of your choice.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I agree with GreenDesigns. Plus I am surprised that a countertop MW could be more expensive than an OTR MW. A good countertop MW by Sharp or Panasonic should cost in the neighborhood of $150. Adding $200 or so just to have the slate color doesn't make sense to me. Also, the matchy-matchy look for appliances is not such a good idea. You run the risk of foregoing good appliances, and potentially buying poor ones, just so long as they match.

Also a range in the island is tough, because island cooking is tough to exhaust. That may not be important to you, but if it is, I thought I'd mention it. In addition, if you plan to have seating at the island you will need the island to be big enough so that people seated do not get splattered by what is cooking, and big enough so that you have adequate landing space next to the range while you are cooking.

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 1:14

• ibewye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with almost everyone-sorry green design but I chose the slate because other than fridgidiare it was the only one that seemed smudgeproof, had a good track record with GE and finally because I really don't like stainless at all and thought the slate looked great.
    I can't explain the countertop microwave costing more either and will admit my only sources is an Internet search on GE website for slate microwaves and the only counter one is a profile for $389.00 (did find one place selling for $330) We had bought the OTR micro in slate this week and paid $250 due to Black Friday sales, just found out yesterday that it won't fit in our cabinet space (2" too big of course). I'm on the same page as everyone else as far as not being hellbent on matching exactly or paying more just for the slate color.
    That being said my question was can anyone recommend a countertop microwave that would match well with the slate? I don't want stainless and I know black would work but I was hoping someone could suggest somewhere in the middle maybe like a dark grayish. Thanks for your help....

Here is a link that might be useful: GE countertop microwave in slate

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

No one else makes anything close. That ought to tell you all you need to know about choosing slate.

• ibewye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I get what your saying, decided on black cause it'll be under the counter anyway.
    As far as slate as a choice for rest of kitchen it was easy. We chose black over stainless steel at our hold home, stainless had just come out and the idea of seeing every fingerprint smudge made it unappealing.
    We loved the black but we wanted a change for our new home we're currently building, we looked at stainless again but STILL these companies(other than fridgidiare-which I didn't like) haven't found a way to get fingerprints off their surface. How stainless has maintained to stay popular without solving this problem is puzzling to me but it made slate an easy choice for us. I don't like my appliance surfaces to highlight the kitchen, and I don't have all day to keep cleaning them so we loved the look of the GE slate line. To each their own though.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Pledge furnture polish, and it's easy to keep the fingerprints off. Easy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Well, Pledge gets off fingerprints that are already there, it doesn't keep them from reappearing the minute someone touches the appliance.

I love the slate color, for its looks and the fact that fingerprints and other smudges don't show. (I went with a paneled fridge and DW this time around).

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

If you're getting instant fingerprints with the Pledge, then you didn't strip off all of the oils before using. Or may not be using the one with the yellow top and brown can. Lots of stainless "cleaners" are oil based, and you have to physically remove all of that, as well as the shipping oils, before you apply the Pledge. I maintain many many displays using nothing else. With grubby little fingers grabbing and all the people grabbing and yanking. With the Pledge properly applied to bare metal, it creates a coating that sheds basic fingerprints. Now, greasy popcorn fingers, or other additional substance fortified fingers, there isn't anything that will work to keep those from making smears. Except the prevention of training.