Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laino_gw

anybody else have a new dishwasher that stays wet inside?

laino
14 years ago

Bought a new dishwasher, it stays wet inside unless the door is left slightly open. I am not talking about the underside of cups or bowls that have edges that can collect water, or even plastics, I expect there will be some water in those instances. I mean the tub itself, sides and top, also, the bottom of the door. I have tried different detergents and different rinse aids, and the amount of the rinse aid, because it is adjustable in these new ones. The store did exchange for a different one, but it is the same issue, actually worse. Even wetter. On telling the fellow at Sears that did the reorder, said he had never heard of this issue. He called some people he knew in the business and they said they had never heard of this issue. They put in a call to the Maytag rep, but haven't heard back yet. I said I had read online of people having the same problem and he said so you won't be able to buy a dishwasher then that ends dry. I told him not so. my brother in law bought a GE within this last year, about 500$, stainless steel tub. It's dry when the cycle is done. My niece has a 3-4? year old whirlpool quiet partner2, it's dry when done. He said he goes by consumer reports, but those aren't the real world issues that seem to come from forums such as these or through reviews. I bet most of the complaints on these machines, never get heard by their makers.

Any suggestions or ideas?? I would appreciate hearing from anybody with the same sort of issue and any brand names and/ or models. Or any links to pages talking of such issues.

Comments (151)

• Debra Williams
    2 years ago

All this information is so helpful! I thought it was just my new LG that had the problem. I won’t send it back now. lol I’ll follow the advice here to hopefully fix the problem. Thanks again everyone!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

RCKSinks is wrong ... there are still dishwasher models that have drying heater elements. Other models have a concealed water heating element that heats the final rinse water to a higher temperature for the residual heat in the dishware to promote water evaporation. KitchenAid, Maytag, GE, Kenmore and perhaps some other brands had fans since the 1960s. The airflow rate surely is not strong enough to "blow the water off of wet dishes" like those turbo blowers in roll-through car washes, LOL.

Dishwasher rinse aid was put on the market in the 1950s, so it's not something new. Here's a 1956 Hotpoint dishwasher ad touting rinse aid (wetting agent).

• boba1
    2 years ago

Featuring Mary Tyler Moore

• HU-702559234
    2 years ago

i am having the same problem. My dishwasher dries the dishes fine, but the inside of the tub is full of moisture and wet side

• Jessica Simon
    2 years ago

We just bought a Samsung that does this. It bothers me

• Tanya Patrick
    2 years ago

Hi... Seems like your question about the inside of your dishwasher staying wet inside was any moons ago. I am having that problem with a new dishwasher we just bought and am searching everywhere for an answer as why is remains wet. Did you find an answer and or were you able to find a solution? Would love to know. Thank you

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Tanya Patrick

Brand/model of your problem dishwasher is not cited.

It appears to have an exposed heating element, which may or may not be utilized for drying, no way to research without the brand/model.

Are you using rinse aid?

• Shawn Leimbach
    2 years ago

I will tell you what I do, -> push the following buttons:

ProWash, Heat Dry, Hi-Temp Wash, Sani Rinse

& a note I wrote & have hanging in our kitchen for Hubby:

• Shawn Leimbach
    2 years ago

5yr-old note! 😳😄

• Tanya Patrick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It is a Kitchen-Aid.

• Tanya Patrick
    2 years ago

Stayed wet inside and was hot water with heated dry. Have used the sanitize wash, the pro wash and the regular wash and rinse-aid. 3 washes in the first 2 days to see if a cycle would dry it. Barely any dishes so is not over loaded. Yes I am using rinse-aid 🙂

• dadoes
    2 years ago

A larger load possibly will help ... more dishware to retain heat and promote evaporation of residual water. The machine has a soil sensor. It will shorten cycle time and probably reduce the water heating when soil level is low, although soil level may not directly affect heated drying function.

Have you tried the Extended Heat Dry option? Can Heated Dry and Extended Heat Dry be selected together?

There are six dosage levels for rinse aid. The user manual says that the lowest dosage is the factory default. Have you tried adjusting it higher? One step at a time for several loads to determine the effect before changing it again.

The model number indicates your machine is a 2020 model-year (letter K in 8th position). The serial number coding (X32) indicates factory production date of 2020, 32nd week (Aug 3-7).

• Laurel C
    2 years ago

@Mark Henderson, I'm sorry you feel this way about Bosch. After owning a newer Bosch, there's not another brand I'd consider for under $1500. That said, my new Bosch dishwasher is going to be either the 500 or 800 series as it has a feature that pops the door open a few inches once the heated dry cycle is completed in order to let any steam out.

• boba1
    2 years ago

Laurel C, the Bosch 500 series only features the ability to austomatically open the door when cycle is finished. The 800 series will have CrystalDry, which is far superior to the opening the door at the end of th cycle. I own an 800 series with CrystalDry and it's the best drying system I have experienced since Hobart KitchenAid dishwashers featured very hot dry cycles back n the 1960s and 1970s.

• boba1
    2 years ago

Ok Shawn & Tanya, I have some advice because I had the Kenmore Elite version of your dishwasher as KitchenAid produced it. It was in my kitchen for almost 6 years. First of all, select Heavy Wash. Second, is some conflicting combinations that cancel each other out because of Energy Star requirements. IF you select Sani Rinse, neither of the heated dry options will be utilized, at best extended dry MAY cycle the heating element off & on. If I selected Sani Rinse, the little fan used for drying never came on which meant the drying heat never increased to trigger the circulating fan to run. So, if I selected Sani Rinse, I dind't even bother to select a heated dry because it became a mute point and lengthened the cycle for no purpose. I found the best cycle/option combinations were Heavy Wash, High Temp Wash, and Extended Heated Dry. That resulted in my drying cycle to one hour and 27 minutes and the little fan continued to run for another hour after the cycle ended. Or you select Heavy Wash and Sani rinse only and nothing else. Do NOT open the door at the end of the cycle and let it sit in its own heat for 8 hours. And my rinse aid dispenser ceased working for the last two years I had the dishwasher.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@boba1, Tanya's model doesn't have ProDry with the fan. It has a passive vent.

• Tanya Patrick
    2 years ago

Thank you dadoes and Boba1 for your help and suggestions. I had not read this before I put on 1 last try. It is 70% full and I put it on normal wash because nothing was dried on. I added high temp wash with heated dry. Now that I think about it I should have skipped the high temp wash as nothing will be hard to clean and in place added the extended heat dry.. Well darn, I guess I will find out in a couple hours.

• Tanya Patrick
    2 years ago

Well it worked!!!!! It dried everything except for a small amount on the sides at the front end between the 2 racks. But everything is clean and dry. Inside of the door does not have 1 spot of water on it neither does the bottom or on the backside wall and the back half of the sides. OMG, it is a keeper 😃 it took 2 hours and 20 minutes. Next time I will add the extended dry and hopefully that will finish drying the front sides.

• boba1
    2 years ago

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you. Isn't it a wonderful feeling?!!! My philosophy is because of Energy Star regulations dumbing down everything to what we were used to, we have to use more aggressive settings to get the results we used to have and expect---whether it be washing & drying of dishes, washing laundry in actual warm or hot water than what products are design for today as well as setting the dryers to a more dry setting or higher temperature. 2 hours 20 minutes sounds about right for those settings.

• HU-697285431
    2 years ago

I trcently started hsving the oroblem if the tun is pllastic it stays wet thats what the repaur man said stainless steel dries i have plastic but this just started staying wet only the top

• Shawn Leimbach
    2 years ago

SOLUTION:

Push All 4 Buttons:

ProWash,

Heat Dry,

Hi-Temp Wash,

Sani Rinse

• Eileen
    2 years ago

My new Bertazzoni dishwasher is having the same issue ever since it was installed!! I tried a few washing combinations and still haven’t figured out a way to make the drying work. ><

• Diane Greenholdt
    last year

So glad I found this forum. Our old Amana wore out and had to be replaced. We found a Hotpoint on sale and had it installed. FIVE visits -- and THREE machines -- later from the young man who does installations for the big box retailer, we've finally got one that sort of works. The newest one is another Amana, and the heating element does work, but the insides of the machine itself (door, sides and ceiling) remain wet. It's now loaded with the drying liquid (and the setting on that set to Max) and the door is slightly ajar. Hoping this works because I don't want mold to develop inside.

I'm chalking it up to the energy star regulations. And it's so good to know it isn't me. Lots of others are having this "wet machine---dry dishes" issue, and it involves all makes and models. I'm not a fan of our former president but have to admit that he's right about these energy efficiency regulations regarding dishwashers. I dread to know what will happen when/if I replace our 14-year-old washing machine!

• boba1
    last year

Make sure you're using your high-temp wash option on your Amana.

• davidjames6937
    last year

I was doing some digging around the same issue and found out this interesting article from mykitchenapex that explains why this could be the case.

• Tanya Patrick
    last year
    last modified: last year

We had the same issue when we purchased a new KitchenAid dishwasher. I also had asked for help on here. It dries now except for the littlest bit of water still exists on both sides at the front between the 2 racks. We were already turning on the sink faucet until it became hot before washing but still had the problem until we turned up the temperature on the water heater. Now the dishes and the dishwasher are dry. My pictures are a few comments up

• dadoes
    last year

@davidjames6937, the people in this discussion are not referring to water in their dishwashers before the first run, when the machines are newly unpacked and installed. They're complaining about residual moisture every time after running a load, weeks or months after installation.

• Hazel Graves
    last year

Just replaced my 20 year old Whirlpool dishwasher with an LG. interior of stainless steel door is covered with water following EVERY cycle. This is ridiculous!! I want my Whirlpool back; it was never wet and was doing a good job. What have I done?!!!!

• boba1
    last year

Did you put Jet Dry in the rinse aid dispenser? Also, try selecting high temp wash or sani rinse and see if that will help.

• likestonehomes
    last year

@Hazel Graves brand new LG, door is wet but dishes are dry. Must be condensation. , I am dissapointed that it iss not as quiet as my old bloomberg. Both rated 45 db

• trexinthecity
    last year

I am having same issue. It came with a little bit of drops, and then once i connected hot water line.. it became humid inside the dishwasher. This is before I ever ran a cycle

• boba1
    last year

That condensation on the inside of brand new dishwasher is due to the testing at teh factory.

• trexinthecity
    last year

thank you. it never dries though
    I did a load. and didn’t take the glasses out until the next morning and the condensation made them foggy.
    It stays sweaty all the time inside the dishwasher. Any quick fixes?

• boba1
    last year

Have you put rinse-aid in the rinse-aid dispenser? Have you run a load with high-temp wash or san-rinse?

• trexinthecity
    last year

I have not. I will try it. It just seems odd that it would stay wet and actually muggy in there all the time.

• trexinthecity
    last year

Thanks for this!!

• dadoes
    last year

TRexInTheCity, you haven't cited the brand and model number of your dishwasher. Some units nowadays have condensation drying, which operates without a drying heater. They have a water heater instead of an air heater. Drying relies on the dishware retaining heat from the heated final rinse water. Selecting a hi-temp rinse option thereby increases drying performance. The tub cools faster than the dishware, which entices residual water to evaporate off the dishes and condense onto the surface of the tub. Some of it runs down to the bottom but some moisture and droplets will remain on the tub. Leaving the door ajar for a few hours helps the residual moisture evaporate. The door doesn't need to be open to the ground, just left ajar/unlatched, or hang a dishtowel over it for a slightly larger gap.

Models that have an air heater for drying run the heater at lower wattage than in the past and may cycle it on/off during the drying period instead of heating continuously.

Rinse aid is a required part of the drying process on all dishwashers nowadays, they're engineered for it.

• HU-652062873
    last year

Thank you so much for the knowledge you share . I've just installed and used first time Samsung dishwasher DW80B7070US and was disappointed with wet and foggy walls after cycle. Besides, I made it dry manually, closed, and next day the back wall was foggy. I will do next time with the settings as you advised. This forum is very helpful!!

• HU-301913234
    6 months ago

We have a maytag stainless installed in 18 and doesnot get dry on the inside walls ! hoping for resolution Didnt get any help at store

• boba1
    6 months ago

This is what I've posted before and it worked for both of my KitchenAid produced Kenmore Elite dishwashers, very similar to your Maytag. "Did you put Jet Dry in the rinse aid dispenser? Also, try selecting high temp wash or sani rinse and see if that will help. "

• Jack Ozier
    6 months ago

My new $1,000 Bosch is soaking wet inside at the end of the cycle, even when i use the Extra Dry option NOT PLEASE WITH IT because of this! Trying to return it!

• jt fields
    6 months ago

As others have said, a drying agent, like Jet Dry or Rinse-Aid, is a must. Running the hot water in your sink before starting the dishwasher so that hot water is in the pipes as the dishwasher begins to fill. Finally, cracking open the door once the drying cycle is complete helps as well so that the steam can escape. I've had a Miele since 2015 and, at the time after reading reviews, the reason I purchased it was because it automatically cracks open the door at the end of the drying cycle. I've never had any drying issues with it. At the time it was the only dishwasher that opened the door automatically but I believe more brands do that now.

• Louise Smith
    6 months ago

My Bosch DW dries everything (except plastic containers). I only run the "short" cycle: takes about 1 hour from start to finish. Very pleased with it. I do not open the door; I keep it closed, usually until the next morning. I do not want steam in my kitchen, and I do not want steam on the under portion of my countertops.

• boba1
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

My Bosch has Crystal Dry. I have enabled the Intensive Dry option so when I use the 1 hour cycle it dries better. Selecting Intense Dry & Sanitizer Rinse gives me the results of a 1960s & 1970s KitchenAid dishwasher without baking the dishware. Bone dry dishwasher.

• dadoes
    6 months ago

I don't think running the kitchen faucet hot before starting is necessary to the extent it was 10, 15, 20+ years ago .. especially for Bosch and Miele models which have onboard water heating that insures the main wash and final rinse reach a target temperature.

• boba1
    6 months ago

That may be true, but the prewash ends up being tepid at best if I don't. And cold water won't do much if there's greasy stuff in the load being thrown about in the prewash.

• annmv888
    3 months ago

I just bought a Bosch that was $1200. It was installed and the test run done. Now whenever I open it to put dishes inside it is wet. I have to leave the door open to dry it out but the next time it's completely wet again. I haven't even used it to wash anything since this is the second day it's been hooked up and I am single, not a lot dishes get used. I also worry about mold and bacteria growing. This is ridiculous that we spend all this money for inferior products.

• dadoes
    3 months ago

I used a Bosch several times when helping a friend move. Model SHS843AF5N. 300 Series so toward the budget range as Bosch goes. The interior had condensation more than 24 hrs after a run. Leaving the door open overnight (just unlatched, not ajar as it would need to be propped with something) didn't do much to dry it. And yes, rinse aid was used, at the default dosage. I increased it to maximum after noticing the moisture. Friend remarked some months later that "the rinse aid needs a lot of refilling."

• boba1
    3 months ago

I've had an upper level Bosch 800 series dishwasher since May 2021. Per the user manual, I enabled Intensive Dry option. I have no dampness in my dishwasher. It's just me and I may not run it for 3-5 days or more. NO odor either.