Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Wall Oven Frame is HOT ! - Should I worry?

Posted by LoPay (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:20

My Whirlpool wall ovens were a deal because they were a floor model. The contractor and electrician got them installed today, so I thought I would let them run for an hour to burn off any factory gunk.
The doors are cool, but the metal frame that sits up against the cabinet is quite hot. Like if you keep your finger on it for 5 seconds it will burn you hot.

Is this normal, and is it possible that I am missing some type of shield that should have been installed between the cabinet and oven? There were no parts or book delivered with the oven.

Do I need to worry about the surrounding cabinet bursting into flames?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Wall Oven Frame is HOT ! - Should I worry?

I suggest you ask your contractor to come back and check it for your piece of mind. Wood will burst into flames at about 451 F - it is extremely unlikely the outside of your oven is anywhere near that hot. My guess is that the temperature of the outside is well below 200 F - otherwise you would not be able to keep your hand on it for 5 seconds. Your contractor should use either a IR thermometer , or better yet a contact thermometer to check the temperature of the case after the oven has been on an hour or so to make sure there is nothing wrong with the oven itself. I doubt you are missing a shield, but if you have the model number, you can go online and find the installation instructions and read them to see what they call for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here