Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help us mount our island hood fan

Posted by carolml (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 19:01

Our hood fan arrived yesterday and we are trying to mock up the best position for it. We have a 36" wide x 20" deep induction cook top on an island that is 32" wide. The cook top is 3" from the front (business side) and 9" from the far side. The hood fan is a 42" wide glass canopy model with a curved canopy. I would like to mount it with the centre at 32" high, directly over the cook top (3" back from edge) and it will extend 4" beyond the back. Hopefully, no one will bonk their heads. Is it normal to have a hood fan so close to the edge of the counter? FYI, I am 5'6" tall, my husband 5'10" tall.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help us mount our island hood fan

Hopefully, no one will bonk their heads.

You are talking approx 68" off the floor. Someone will split their head open on it. Upper cabs are 53-54" off the floor and very visible. At 68" it is not visible because people don't look up. I bloodied my nose twice and broke my glasses on floor joists in a deep crawlspace, they were at 64", and I'm 5' 9". Never saw them. We fastened vertical boards to all the joists in the construction walk area after my mishaps.

o

hendricus: So, you are saying it should be lower so we can see it, even though lower makes it easier to bang into? Seems counter intuitive, but I get your point. At the moment, when we test it, our heads are under when we bend forward and it is not in our way visually when we look across the room. We'll try it out a bit lower. Thanks.

o

In my view it is high enough when it doesn't hit your head when you approach it or bend over the cooktop. You may want to extend that rule to apply to persons of somewhat greater height who might also use it. Lowering the hood, while perhaps increasing its effectiveness, will interfere with bending over and possibly interfere with sight lines to the cooking utensils. (Glass canopy shapes I've seen have poor capture, thus raising one higher may not be much of a penalty.)

A related issue is how far built-in lights (if any) are from one's hair (if any).

Front to back mounting should try to align the air intake center with the center of the cooking area, and not necessarily the center of the overall cooktop or the center of the island.

kas

o

Thanks Kas, always good advise.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here