Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
techno_mommy

Help me decide: Bosch double oven vs. KitchenAid oven/micro combo

techno_mommy
10 years ago

I'm leaning toward getting the Bosch 800 double oven. I've read several favorable reviews on Bosch ovens and the rebate is attractive because I have decided on the Bosch gas cooktop and dishwasher. My only hesitation is that I'm not sure where I'm going to put my microwave and I'm not wild about the look of the Bosch micro above the single oven.

I am planning to order a KitchenAid CD/FD fridge. The ovens will be directly next to the fridge on the right. I think the Bosch oven will look OK, even though the handles are not exactly the same. But, I'm also considering the KitchenAid oven with convect micro unit. This takes care of the esthetic issue of matching handles and solves the problem of where to put the microwave. With the convection option on the microwave (I think) I'm getting a smaller 2nd oven for when I need it. I've never used a convect microwave, so I'm also a little confused on how exactly that works.

Yet, I still hesitate to buy the KitchenAid. My brother had multiple issues with his KitchenAid oven and is cautioning me. In the forum, I've read that KitchenAid has a loud fan, where Bosch is quieter (in theory). I think Bosch also has a quicker preheat. I'm also concerned that since the KitchenAid is 1 unit, if something goes wrong in the microwave, I'm looking to replace the whole unit. I think microwaves typically have a shorter life than a wall oven. The KitchenAid is more expensive, too.

Please help. I'd hate to go with the KitchenAid for the look, then be disappointed in performance.

Comments (15)

• ar3045
    10 years ago

I am trying to decide between Bosch and KitchenAid as well. Trying to keep the thread alive.

• vols2595
    10 years ago

My advice is to stay away from Kitchen Aid appliances, except maybe their dishwasher. My daughter bought top of the line Kitchen Aid Double Convection ovens and Kitchen Aid cooktop when they had their house built 4 years ago. They have had nothing but problems with both appliances. The ovens had to be replaced twice and still they do not work right. The cooktop, their "best" radiant is impossible to cook on. The burners run very hot and it is impossible to stop anything from boiling, even on the lowest setting. Forget about simmer. These are the worst appliances I have ever seen.

• ar3045
    10 years ago

makmo73:
    Thank you for your response.
    Lots of negative posts about KA.
    I am leaning towards Bosch. Now I read some posts about Bosch ovens that were not so great. What really bothered me was the details on Bosch customer service being unresponsive.
    I am losing my mind now :(

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

I just struggled with choosing an oven as well. I went with the Electrolux Icon E30EW75GPS. It's a single, but they offer a double as well and you have a choice of handles. There is another Electrolux model that got good reviews here as well. Won't be installed for a few weeks, but I read some good things about it here including that it is quiet, and if all goes well, it has an amazing list of features. Crossing my fingers! And good luck to you in your search. It's a journey, for sure. (Before this, I would have never believed I would know my appliance model numbers by heart. (LOL)

• techno_mommy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally decided on Bosch oven because of comments on this forum about quietness. The other thing that got me was the 25 minute preheat on KA vs. Bosch advertised 7 minutes. Also, when I went to Ferguson to touch and feel, the sales person guided me back toward the Bosch. Honestly, I still prefer the look of the KitchenAid, but I think I'll be happier with the Bosch in the long run.

I decided to stick with the Bosch oven, cooktop, and dishwasher. I ordered a KitchenAid CDFD fridge and range hood. They haven't been delivered yet, but hoping this week after cabinets are in. Still not sure about the hood, but just went with it because I needed to order.

• Mary Morrow
    9 years ago

Techno_mommy, how have you liked your Bosch?? I'm in the same boat now, and am looking at the Bosch 800 series double oven set. Are you with happy with the cooking performance and consistency? I was steered away from Electrolux due to bad reviews, but am still open to others. There just aren't many reviews out on these Bosch ovens, but I love the options they have!
    Thanks for your help!

• laurentstarr
    8 years ago

I'm in this boat, too--deciding between Bosch and Kitchenaid double ovens. The man at my local appliance store says Bosch develops its cooking appliances with the support of Thermador. Does anyone want to share updated reviews of their Bosch ovens? Thank you!

• amabyam
    8 years ago

I'm yet another trying to decide between Bosch double oven and KA double ovens! Hope more people chime in with their experiences, Thanks!

• Seana Dean
    7 years ago

Any new insights?

I really prefer the KA cooktop but I LOVE the Bosch double oven and prefer the dishwasher adjustable top rack.

Don't know how I can walk into a showroom and pick a car but can't buy appliances without angst.

• danamclendon1021
    6 years ago

Would love more feedback about the Bosch vs KitchenAid double ovens as I am currently trying to decide between these two. Has Bosch resolved the issue with the oven turning itself off during cooking period? TIA for any additional comments/experiences.

• PRO
    Wellington Home Hardware
    6 years ago

As an appliance retailer we always prefer to sell Kitchen Aid to Bosch because often Bosch has trouble providing parts down the line. Kitchen Aid is manufactured in North America which makes the parts easier to obtain if you need them for repair or maintenance.

• Theresa Holderread
    5 years ago
    I’m curious if techno mommy has an update on how her appliance choice worked out for her.
  • HU-417461122
    5 years ago

I have decided on these appliances

1. Vent Hood: Zephyr AK2136BS Stainless Steel 850 CFM Under Cabinet Vent Hood

2. Cooktop: Bosch 800 Series NGM8056UC Stainless Steel 5-Burner Gas Cooktop

3. Dishwasher: Bosch 800 Series SHXM98W75N Stainless Steel Dishwasher

4. Wall Oven: Bosch 800 Series 30" Single Wall oven HBL8451UC, Stainless Steel

5. Microwave: Whirlpool unbranded 2.2 Cu Ft Countertop Microwave Oven

6. Microwave Trim Kit: Whirlpool Stainless Steel 30" trim Kit for the counter top microwave oven

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

Any updates on this?

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling