Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggross1

Have you cooked a Turkey in your Miele Wall Oven?

peggross1
15 years ago

I've been living with my new kitchen for a few months, and am at this moment roasting my first chicken in my Miele H4881 BP wall oven as a sort of trial run before I have to cook a Turkey dinner for 15 adults and 6 kids on Thanksgiving! (Per a "recipe" I found doing a search on this forum I am cooking the chicken on autoroast at 375 degrees for about an hour, using the rack and roasting pan on the 1st rung - fingers are crossed that dinner will be properly cooked and delicious!)

I'm still VERY insecure about my new oven and would love some advice from an experienced Miele owner. I've had less than wonderful experiences so far, trying to use the probe and using Masterchef for a steak (steak was raw and then it seemed properly done, but was very tough on the edges - not good for an expensive porterhouse cut!)

I plan to order a fresh turkey that will be 18-20 pounds. We'd like to sit down to eat around 4pm.

Any and all experiences and advice will be greatly appreciated, especially regarding successfully cooking and timing a turkey!

(Anyone know of a cookbook that might exist for a Miele oven?)

Comments (6)

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

yes but don't go by my experience. LOL it was in brand new ovens installed a couple of weeks pre-Thanksgiving. I didn't pretest like you're doing and only discovered the reason nothing was cooked when it should have been many months later when it finally dawned on me that everything was taking too long. My ovens weren't properly calibrated and instead of eating at 5 pm we ate at 8!

HA as to the cookbook. Miele promised to send me one a year ago - I am still waiting.

• User
    15 years ago

They have recipes on their web site. I have used the probe 2x so far for turkey. I followed the prompts on the oven and it was perfect. I am not sure why you used it for a steak...I have used it for roast chicken also and it was fine. I usually just use the rotisserie for the whole small birds. The only thing to be sure and follow is if the bird is stuffed vs not. I would do not stuffed for the 1 st time. You can also use and instant read if that will make you more secure the 1st time. I hope you have great success. It really is easy. c

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

As trailrunner says, there are recipes on the website including one for turkey.

Re the probe -- it's excellent for large pieces like roasts and needs to be inserted all the way in.

I used autoroast for the turkey last year. The way I cooked turkey forever is to jump start it at 425 for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 325 for the remainder of the cooking. I tent the top with foil after the first 20 minutes.

That's what autoroast does more or less. I usually do a 12 pound turkey, which always was done in about 3-1/2 hours. But the 325 is very gentle on autoroast, I baste and that loses oven heat and it takes 15 minutes or so to come back up to temperature. So with the basting and time lag to return to the right temperature, the turkey was taking too long. So I adjusted the temp up to 335 for the duration, which is my suggestion unless you don't plan to baste. My oven is very accurate and I've done the same recipe for 20 years.

If this is the first time you're doing a big turkey, I'll make some suggestions to help it along. I remove mine from the fridge before I go to bed and put it in the laundry room sink -- not stuffed. My laundry room is cold -- 62 to 68 degrees. You don't want to do that in an 80 degree kitchen but if you have a colder room (my sister in law used her screen porch) it will help.

I don't put raw egg in the stuffing and I stuff right before roasting. So I leave the stuffing out overnight also -- again in a cool room (62-68 degrees). (If you need a mushroom/sourdough stuffing recipe I'm glad to share, send me an email).

I do chicken right on the rack but use a roasting pan for a big turkey.

Last year, I got the probe into the turkey leg first then connected it in the oven -- either way it's tricky since something is hot. I managed to get it into the thickest part of the leg, not touching the bone.

I'd be interested in what others have to say but with an 18-20 pound turkey I think you're looking at 5-1/2 to 6 hours of cooking time with the autoroast at 425-335 provided the turkey and stuffing are not refrigerator-cold and ajusting for the quickest possible basting 4 times during the cooking (unless you have someone strong to take the turkey out of the oven to baste).

You could call Miele consumer help people to verify that.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

OK only 1 turkey done so far. Turkey defrosted and in fridge with the internals removed when you can. If it was fresh I would take it out and remove all internals and let it warm up 30-40 minutes.

We cooked the Masterchief which is auto roast (sears the outer as mentioned and the MC lowers to 305. Stuck the probe in and lower the temp by 5 deg from 190 set to 185 internal. The estimate on a 15-20 lb turkey is 3 hr 50 mins. Not sure how long it took for sure but this does not include resting time or carving time. i think we cooked a 15-16 lb turkey. I think the time maybe an rough quess based on 17.5 lb turkey if you pick 15-20.

Ok here is where the beauty comes in. We did not baste the turkey or cover it with foil nothing. It came out brown and very moist. The searing must lock in the flavour and brwon the outer the 305 must then must slow roast the internals. We got a turkey that used butter as part of the solution do not know if that helped avoid the basting? You could watch the browning of the outside take place early on.

The best part was the estimted time to cook. Keep a close eye on thetime it will stop moving from time to time. I think the stopping or slowing down is the fact it is always correcting the time basted on what is/is not happening.

• peggross1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the tips and real-life stories! My confidence is growing, especially after serving the best chicken of my life - juicy and even though it didn't "look" done, registered even a bit high on the thermometer. That made me worry that it would be dry, but it was SOOOO juicy and delicious!

I checked out Miele's website and found their Holiday Turkey directions, which recommend cooking the turkey right on the rack above the roasting pan, as I did for the chicken. I'll be trying that for my test turkey, which I hope to cook tomorrow. Will post my results here.

Thanks for the feedback, all! (What a cool oven we all have, right?!)

• User
    15 years ago

Very "cool"...I would never trade these ovens. If I move I think I may have to take them with me LOL ! c