Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Miele techies - help on "Intake/Drain" Error Message

rococogurl
11 years ago

My 8 y.o. Miele Incognito 858 has given me an Intake/Drain red light message. It stops after the first few minutes of the cycle. I cleared out the filter and restarted it on a different cycle.

It starts but then stops. Anything to do or is this a service call?

TIA

Comments (17)

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Probably not getting any water. Might try the link below.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ww2.justanswer.com/.......g600__800_miele_service_manual.pdf

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Called service and they did a diagnostic over the phone. Problem solved. But he said that it was probably caused by too much soap.

Here we go again.

I've been alternating between Method tabs and Quantum Finish since my old Miele tabs ran out. Tech said supermarket tabs are double the amount of detergent needed. Max is 2 tablespoons. But there doesn't look to be more detergent than that in a Quantum pack.

I pointed out that the Miele tabs were no longer scored.

This is so basic. I'll buy whatever but why can't they get it right?

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

So what was the issue?

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Since Miele changed their tab design and formulation about two years ago, I changed over to method. I only use 1/2 of the Method Smarty tab for each wash. I did try Finish Quantum last year for 2 weeks, but found them too harsh, as my plastic items were starting to discolor. I believe this is because Finish Quantum contains some bleach.

During the time that I was using the newer Miele tabs, I noticed that they created a lot of suds during the wash cycle. One time I also got an error on my Diamante Plus and it drained the water in the middle of the wash. The Middle tech came out, opened up a panel in the bottom front, and showed me where there was dried soap, which ment wash water had got down there and triggered the overflow protection. He said to use less of the Middle tabs. The only way I could do that was to crush them all up into powder and use a small measuring spoon. After that is when I changed to Method tabs. They don't create suds and clean just fine.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sensor reading too much soap.

Fauguy,what too you use to cut the Method tabs knife, scissors? I'd be fine using them.

Ran the next cycle without soap. I opened it during the wash and there was some suds but not anything like Fauguy's photos.

• mindstorm
    11 years ago

Hi rococogurl/fauguy,

FYI, I still use the Miele tabs and just use half a tab. Even without the score and (worse) without the waist, I find that I am able to break them in two with just my fingers. DH used to use scissors/knife and I'd assumed that that is what it took with the new tabs. But tried it one day without any external aids and it broke just fine. I do find that to break a tab in two, I do need to peel open the plastic casing and pull the tab out just enough that when I apply a force at the one end, that it has the degree of freedom to move without the plastic being too much of a constraint.

Failing that, scissors or a knife also does the trick.

Good luck. Glad the DW was restored. Nothing like having an old faithful just keeping up its good work.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

All I do is use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut the Method tabs in half. I do the entire bag all at once, so I don't have to fool with cutting them each night.

There was another thread in here from a year or so ago that I posted pictures of my wash cycle using the new Miele tab showing all the suds, the Method tab, and Quantum Finish tab. A search could probably find it.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Found it:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0916400921569.html

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Hey Roc, I'm still using Miele Tabs--figured "if it aint broke, why fix it...?" I cut mine in half using Wusthoff kitchen shears--they slice through the tabs (and their wrappers) like the proverbial butter. LOL I cut a handful or so at once, and store the cut halves in a small deli container. If I'm running a particularly full/dirty load, I'll sometimes use two halves, or use one "large" half and add some of the powder that has collected at the bottom of the container to the dispenser.

The last time I ordered the tabs, I got a great online deal on them, so got 2 or 3 pkgs. They last a long time since I cut the tabs in half and run the DW 4-5 days/wk on avg.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had multiple boxes, from both houses. Finally ran out. The Methods should be ok and they smell better and are less. Or, once a week with a light load I can run it without soap to clear things out. Likely culprit is the water softener, duh.

Now no hot water. LOL. You get a generator yet?

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Up until this summer, I was buying the Method tabs at the Whole Foods store, but was running $6-7 per bag plus tax. Then Amazon started to sell them in a 6-bag bulk for $28 ($4.67 per bag). So with 6 bags, and each having 20 tabs, then cut in-half = 240 half tabs, which would last 8 months. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y26UY2/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i03

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Fauguy. Smart buy. Gotta love Amazon.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nope! I keep telling DH we gotta get one!!! Maybe Santa will bring one!

Let me know how those Method tabs work out for you.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope Santa is good to you before the next hurricane. so far so good on the Smarties.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Hope so, too!

PS miss ya!

• PRO
    Scott The Fix It Guy
    9 years ago

Sounds like the impellor of the circulation pump is stuck. Here's how to fix it: