Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meera_gw

Can GE Advantium be used as a microwave and warming drawer?

meera
16 years ago

I am tearing out my old kitchen and building a new one. I want GE Monogram double ovens, but am confused by the Advantium. Should I use the Advantium as my 2nd oven? If I get my double oven, should I get the Advantium instead of a separate warming drawer and microwave? It sounds like it could take the place of two appliances.

Comments (8)

• glycera
    16 years ago

There are several models of Advantium, and I can speak only about the older model 240. However, I doubt any of the models would make a satisfactory warming drawer. I use my warming drawer to warm plates as well as keeping prepared food at serving temperature, sometimes for a couple of hours. I think there's an Advantium model that's also a convection oven, and maybe you could use that to keep one item warm, but I'm not sure; perhaps someone more familiar with the latest models will chime in on this.

As far as I know, all the Advatiums can function as a regular microwave.

---Margaret

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I'm getting a single Monogram oven and the 120v Advantium as my second (well, really first because there are only 2 of us most of the time) oven, mw, and speedcook. I don't care about a warming drawer so that's not an issue for me. I know the 120 is not as speedy a speedcooker as the 240, but it will be fine for us and it has a larger interior than the 240. Most often, I expect we'll use it as a microwave.

• User
    16 years ago

120 Advantium works great as a warmer, both for warming plates and for keeping food warm. You choose low (140-160), medium (160-195) or high (195-230), then moist or crisp, press start, and it will keep your food warm as long as you like. It keeps time so you know how long you've been warming.

• jab913
    16 years ago

I am putting in an advantium 120 for a few reasons. One is that it can be used as a warming oven as well as a microwave. In my case I really did not have room for a seperate warming drawer. I do have a 48" range with 2 ovens so that really was not an issue.

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

We use our Advantium 120 as a microwave and warming drawer daily. I don't really use the speed or convection cook options, so can't comment on those, but as a microwave/warming drawer it works great.

-Susan W.

• artemiss
    16 years ago

The Adv 240 can be used as a microwave, using the 30 sec increment button, or from the manual cook dial, where you can choose your mic power level from 0 to 10.

To use as a warming oven, I use the manual cook dial at level 3 for both upper and lower halogens, and 0 for the mic, for however many minutes you need your dish to stay warm.

There's really nothing this oven cannot do, but it's at its best when used as a speed cook appliance.

• needanap
    16 years ago

Just a word of caution: Think about how you would use a warming drawer. For me, I use it most when one dish is ready before the others and I'm not ready to serve. If I have that dish in the Advantium, keeping warm, then I don't have use of the microwave and second oven to finish cooking the rest of the meal. It is great to have multi-function appliances, but not if you need all those functions at the same time. If you only use the warming function after the meal is over, because someone is coming home late and you want to keep their food warm, then it is a great solution.

• meera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. Just finished reading an older thread about the Advantium and it really seems like an amazing appliance. I had not considered the problem of having a multi-function appliance and needing to use it for more than one function at the same time. Seems to justify having the double ovens AND the advantium. Now if I can just figure out where to locate it.