Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

Remote oven temperature probe?

bellsmom
9 years ago

This is a cross post with the cooking forum:

Is there a remote oven temperature probe I can use in my otherwise wonderful Capital Culinarian? I would LOVE one I could just leave in place or easily remove and replace.

I have vision problems and have GREAT trouble reading the oven temperature off one of the devices that hang on a rack.
But even my 26 year old grandson has to kneel in front of the oven and shine a flashlight on the thermometer to read it through the door.

There HAS to be something better than this to test ambient oven temperature.

Please suggest something if you can.

Comments (7)

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

You can use a wired probe, like the Maverick or Polder - this one goes up to 392 F http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IC6UXUQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003P7DRQY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F0S3JK1P4ZBMST2AZFF

There are others that go even higher, and offer a remote readout - this one goes up to 572 and has a food probe and a grill probe , which would work in the oven but is a little overkill for your needs, though it works great for monitoring your grill while you are in the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1416016448&sr=1-1&keywords=et732

9 years ago

I bought the Maverick baker's oven thermometer (link below) because, like you, I wanted to know the temperature in the oven, not the internal temp of anything that I might be cooking. This one had a few more bells and whistles that I never used.

The Maverick was perfect, for about a month. Now it's just reading "HI" whenever I turn it on, and the reviews say that this happens when the probe goes bad. You can buy new probes ($20 for 2, I think), but it mades me mad that it failed so quickly and that I need to buy more ready-to-fail parts. I haven't found other good alternatives yet, so I may just grumble some more and order new probes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maverick Baker's Oven Thermometer

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.
    AvatarWalt, I looked at the baker's oven thermometer, but I am concerned that it would not handle the high temps I occasionally use for browning meats. I know it says it is rated to 570, but ???

Barry, I think the higher temp one is the one I want. This oven probe could also work in the BGE, so that's a plus.

Wish the reviews were better on these on Amazon. Even the best reviewed ones seem to average at least 1/3 very low reviews compared to the top reviews. That seems pretty high.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 11:37

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barry and Avatar
    I decided on and ordered the newest version of the one Barry listed. It will be useful with my BGE and the Nesco, as well as the oven.

More bells and whistles than I need, but only $10 more than the ET732. I'll try to remember to post an evaluation after I have used it for a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newest version of the Maverick ET732

• tyguy
    9 years ago

Bellsmom:

I would recommend a professional grade unit such as the ThermoWorks Dual Channel TW8060 or the Supco EM60

You can choose from a boat load of industry standard k-type thermocouplers some of which are rated at extremely high heat. I don't remember exactly how high, but probably about 3 times higher than your oven is capable of handling. They are very accurate and professional units. I use these for my outdoor grill, and to check calibration on my bluestar oven on occasion. I have a diabetic cat that I make food for and I use this same thermometer to monitor my sous vide water bath. You can set alarms if the temp range goes above or below a predetermined variable . Nice thing is with the dual ports, you can use one for oven temp and another for meat temp. Alton Brown uses the Thermoworks if that means anything. They are not cheap once you buy your probes, but probably the best you can buy.

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

Most thermometers "with a wire" use a K-type thermocouple, which is good to more than 2000*F; what limits the probe's range is the sleeve's construction, not the actual probe.

My bread oven has several Hi-Temp probes embedded in the brickwork and they're still fine after 4 years. Bought them from Cole-Parmer (see link below). They were not cheap (about $24 each) but they're rated for 1200*F, which my oven never reaches.

The reason of most one-star reviews on amazon.com is that after a while, some thermometers stop working, displaying "HI" instead. Since the probe is made mostly from Nickel, which is not a very bendable metal, the failures are caused by the wires breaking after repetitive bending stress.

As long as you install the probe just once, leaving it permanently in the oven, you will be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole Parmer website

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tyguy and Gigelus,
    Thanks for the great info. I feel I finally have an idea of the kinds of oven thermometers available. Duh! I always thought they had to be little round things that hung on racks.

I have several different Thermoworks thermometers which I love. (Love the new backlit thermapen!) The Cole-Palmer ones look great as well.

I especially like the MODEL #TX-1200 for its simplicity of operation and the fact that I can use different probes with it. Since I have several Thermoworks probes already, that will be a plus. I also like the idea of leaving the probe in the oven instead of inserting and removing it with each use. The nice long cable (47") may make that easy to do.

Although I have already ordered the Maverick ET733, I may also order the TW8060 thermometer with the TX-1003X-AP probe and see which I prefer. And may keep both.

For grilling on the BGE, the ET733 may be worth its price if the wireless remote works as advertised.
    Really nice if I could accurately monitor grill temperature from inside the house. So maybe both the Maverick and the Thermoworks will find a home here.

Incidentally, I also for the first time noticed the TX-1002X-NP probe which can be immersed in water to monitor SV cooking. $16 for a reliable check on the Sous Vide temperature gauge would be a bargain.

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 12:08