Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

GE Artistry stove

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Im thinking of getting one of these - I love simplicity and a vintage look. And especially after just reading in another thread about the cost of replacing failed electronic circuit boards I'm more than ever determined to just not get a stove that has one.

However I'm not finding any locally to look at, and oddly the description in Home Depot and other places says very clearly "not returnable." What's up with that?

I don't expect to return a stove, but if it's non returnable I'd sure like to see before I buy.

Another curious item is under care of the stove - it says it's "standard" or "mechanical" cleaning (ie not self-cleaning) but in the next breath says don't use oven cleaner in the oven. Use mild soap!! Hahaha, in what universe does mild soap remove burnt on crud? In what universe does crud never get burnt on the interior surface of an oven or a broiler pan?

Another case obviously of something being engineered or designed by a person who has never actually used the darn thing and never will.

Anyone have one of these - do you like it? Any problems? Seem reliable and well built? Or not so much?

I do like the oven light and the window so I can see what's going on inside the oven. That's a huge step up for me, and about as high tech as I wanna be!

BTW GE is really missing the mark by thinking these should be marketed only to Millenials and not a certain luddite strain of Boomers - of which I are one.

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 17:51

Comments (22)

• bmorepanic
    10 years ago

Huh. Most of their appliances are non-returnable including the GE cafe range.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? So is that unique to GE or other manufacturers as well? I guess that's one way to solve the problem of unhappy consumers - a lot easier than improving your product.

• lee676
    10 years ago

They're marketing these to the young 'uns because behind the retro handles and logos, these are fairly basic low-end GE appliances that share most of their parts with their less stylish stablemates. They're designed to be affordable for those just out of university.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

BTW GE is really missing the mark by thinking these should be marketed only to Millenials and not a certain luddite strain of Boomers - of which I are one.

You can sell a young person's product to seniors but you can't do the reverse.

• basic_kim
    10 years ago

I was also attracted to this idea for the very same reasons: no electronic circuit board, appealing vintage look and feel.
    However, I don't think I'm going to choose this one.

I'm sorry it isn't easier to find the features I am interested in, for a small house and relatively modest kitchen. One has to spend more (pro-style), as far as I can tell, to get an oven with knob controls, rather than electronic circuit board.
    To share my thoughts, FiveStar is on my list.
    I loved the look of Ilve, an Italian import, but am cautious about parts/repairs.
    The idea of a "slide in" with less opportunity for crumbs and spills down the side of the stove appeals to me, but seems very hard to find with a retro look and minus the electronic panel.
    Open to thoughts and discussions!

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Kim. Why did you decide not to get the Artistry stove then? What made you rule it out?

• basic_kim
    10 years ago

I'm concerned that this Artistry line offers more design than substance. I'm not sure that the quality of performance of this gas range would be equivalent to higher end GE, or a FiveStar.
    (Hard to find point by point comparisons for two items in essentially different categories.)
    Also, my current stove is a FiveStar, though open burner.
    I'm looking again because I'm moving...
    I've been happy with what I have, with the exception of how hard it is to clean around the burners, etc. Thus next time, I'm considering sealed burners.
    I don't want to spend at the level of a Wolf or Viking, and that would really be overkill for my needs, anyway. Thus my splurge item will probably be a FiveStar gas range--unless something else comes along that seems more appealing.
    What else are you considering, or is your heart set on the Artistry gas range?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

AFAIK FiveStar is the only pro-style range that offers old-school 1970's style residential open burners.

Their new sealed burners carry a premium, about $800 for the 30" size.

At this price you can get an American Range Performer Series with far superior commercial type open burners cheaper. IMO easier to clean than sealed burner and worst case the same just different to clean. In the AR there is a small sliver of air around the burner. In a sealed burner overflow that gets to the burner burns in that well while on the AR it falls to aluminum foil lined drip tray.

FiveStar TTN2817BW 30" in SS $3865

American Range ARROB-430 $3453 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: AR Performer Series

• basic_kim
    10 years ago

Thanks, deeageaux, your thoughts are much appreciated.
    I will check out the American Range, too.
    I have it in my head (though this may change) that I would like a white or light colored gas range, but not stainless.
    That is one of the appeals of the FiveStar.
    Still contemplating all options, at this point in time!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Kim,

Ameican Range is highly customizable.

You can get a Performer Series in White, in real copper, and different finishes but I don't know the current prices.

The paint-enamel on ARPS is done over SS so there is a premium. While FiveStar is cheaper because they paint over standard steel.

• basic_kim
    10 years ago

Very interesting and thank you for your comments. I will certainly look into this.
    I am interested in a 30-inch, not 36. Wasn't aware of these options in a 30-inch unit. I will still need to go to a storefront and see, learn more--still in the research mode.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I'm concerned that this Artistry line offers more design than substance. I'm not sure that the quality of performance of this gas range would be equivalent to higher end GE, or a FiveStar. "

Well, y'know.... you're comparing a $500 stove to one costing 7 times as much! The performance is not going to be equivalent or even really comparable - apples to oranges.

A more appropriate question might be how does it compare with others in the under $1000 price range. Having looked at a bunch in the $700-1000 range I can tell ya, it's mostly about style over substance in that price range. You kind of get the look and feel of a professional quality restaurant stove without it actually being one. Which is to say, not unattractive - love the heavy grates -, but looking closer I started to see things like oven doors that are not made with one continuous piece of stainless steel but cobbled together with panels of real ss and gray steel colored plastic. I'm a details person and the esthetics - visual/kinesthetic etc. - are important to me.

The idea of noticing and eventually having to clean dirt/grease out from that little crack where the ss meets the plastic - bugged me, as did a lot of other things.

Anyway I did see a black artistry stove up close and personal at Home Depot today. Not bad. Although being a boomer (we value authenticity) I couldn't help but be aware of the differences between this stove and a real vintage circa 1955 stove. The latter would be made of heavier metal, and all surfaces inside and outside, doors, cooktop, etc. would be fired on porcelain, not sprayed on enamel.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So - anyone out there see, purchase, or have one of these in your home? IF so please report! I'd like to know what the grates are like - are they just the cheap chintzy type you get on a budget stove or anything more substantial. The electric model at Home Depot didn't have grates and it's hard to tell on the photo.

Also how reliable is the clock - seriously! Analog clock is cool. Analog clock that stops working and is stuck on the same time the rest of eternity - not cool!

• lee676
    10 years ago

The HD i was just at this evening had the entire Artistry line on display, including a gas stove. I didn't look too closely at it, but the grates seemed not super-flimsy but also not thick high-end ones either. I think more upscale grates (available as replacement parts) from other GE gas ranges may fit this one. Analog clock looks great and the beefy control knobs are nice. Was on sale for $449, not bad.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

You know, when I saw these (electric version so I can't comment on grates) at our HD, the thing that bugged most of all was that the clock didn't have a second hand, so it's not so useful for timing how long you're running the mixer or whatever.

The fridge was super chintzy inside, though.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No second hand - cripes! Good example of style over substance - not to inflame a generational war or anything but the only thing I can surmise is the 27 year old who designed this had no clue how people would actually use a clock in real life. Say you want to time something for one minute - you can't really do that with only the minute hand. Well, you can, sort of... but it's not going to be accurate.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

I suspect that the GE engineers or marketeers told the designer that they didn't need to spend more coins on a clock movement with a sweep second-hand because people will just use the timer function on the matching microwave. Which they hope people will buy as part of the whole package.

• pegling
    9 years ago

A little late here but....
    I purchased the whole package (minus the dishwasher) about 6 months ago. Don't cook a lot as it's just myself and one grown son. The main reasons I bought it were the looks and the price. I'd been looking for a fridge with a bottom freezer that I could afford and my oven was over 20 years old so this worked perfectly. Everything works great and looks even better in my MCM style home. Yes, there's no ice maker or water dispenser or TV in the fridge but I don't need that. If you're looking for simple appliances that don't break the bank but still look a bit different these are great. I got the black set and it makes my kitchen look much more high end then it is!

• Bernadette Roberts
    8 years ago

I like the looks, and the simple no-electronic-button design. I forgave the lack of timer or second hand by buying a kitchen timer. I liked the simple knobs, if a bit lighter to the touch than the ones on my very old oven I had removed. Now at 14 months I find it hard to forgive a broiler turning itself on day and night, as I turn off the gas valve and wait over a week for a technician. Yes I called the gas company first to check for leaks. Disappointed!

• PRO
    Neptune Power Washing
    8 years ago

I bought the Artistry gas range and dishwasher for my mother's kitchen remodel so there would be a matching set and generally like the range - the dishwasher is still in the box so don't know what its like yet. Pros and cons:

Pro: Looks nice, easy to clean cooktop with sealed burners. Knobs are nice and large, grates OK. Large window in the oven, clock is cute. Not expensive and it is on sale now. Burners light faster than old range. Seems accurate enough, at least for cooking casseroles and meat loaf

Cons: No self-clean oven, but you CAN use Easy-Off in there if you have to like a 60s range. Kind of tinny overall, all the metal and the coating is thin. The clock growls when it is quiet in the kitchen. The broiler door below gets rather hot even when just baking at 350. Broiler all the way on the bottom so no storage drawer.

They did look much nicer than the ugly Amana appliances the dealer tried to sell me.

• naaman01
    7 years ago

Well, turns out that this line was discontinued in November of 2016. It was fun while it lasted.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x