Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using a simmer plate on gas range. Why not?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 17:47

Hi. I'm range shopping. After reading old posts, it seems that some have concerns about whether or not the "pro-style" gas ranges simmer decently.

If I DO end up with a gas range that simmers poorly, is it that big a deal to use a simmer plate? I don't have experience with these (except under a percolator in a camper) but is the solution that simple?

I've never had problems simmering with previous cooktops but none were especially high powered except the induction which of course simmered beautifully.

I guess I'm just hoping it's not an issue if one is willing to pull out the plate. Appreciate any guidance! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using a simmer plate on gas range. Why not?

We have an American Range range that won't go low enough for me, so I use a simmer plate. No problem....

o

I had a Viking cooktop that didn't simmer and a summer plate didn't help much, but it was inexpensive - can't hurt to try it.

o

Avoid a simmer plate that allows a lot of contact --pan to simmer plate because cast iron holds the heat. If you get one, get something like the simmer mat. It will hold the pot up a little with very little contact with the metal. You might also stack the grates. There are still some that say they can't get the simmer low enough. You can also use the oven to simmer provided it will go low enough. I used to cook split pea soup that way and it never burned.

Here is a link that might be useful: simmer mat

o

Thanks for the input. It just seems like such a simple thing. Sort of like a wok ring. I'm sure not quite as simple as being able to actually turn down your burner far enough, but not then end of candy! I mean end of the world. :)

o

You can compare the heat on your burners on the low end as well as the high end. You only need to know the BTU rating. Some manufactures list the simmer in temperature, a number meaningless in actual cooking. A pan of water is one thing and a pot of mashed potatoes is another. The type of pan and tghe metal it is made of also figures in. You can find them in the 350-500 BTU range, which should be a pretty good simmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here