Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Please Help Me Choose A New Range

amck2
11 years ago

My 12 yr. old Dacor dual fuel range(came w/ our house) needs to be replaced. I'm thinking another dual fuel because I love the gas cooktop and the even heat in the electric oven.

Features I really want are heavy, continuous grates and a black porcelain stovetop.

There is a Viking 30" slide-in that has those features, as well as a fifth burner. It has heavy easy-glide oven grates that I loved. However, it only has 7 knobs on the front of the range - no clock, no timer, no keypad, no digital display of the oven temp - just 7 knobs. Part of me is attracted to this because the problems I've had w/ my Dacor have all been related to the "mother board." I'm thinking that the more basic the stove is, the fewer problems I'll likely have with it.

Do any of you have experience with this model?

Can any of you offer suggestions for a mid-priced dual fuel that you'd recommend?

My DH likes the Wolf, which is twice the price of the Viking. I would have a hard time justifying that.

Any help would be appreciated. My head is spinning.

Comments (4)

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

A lot of people seem to like their Bertazzoni ranges, and I think a DF Berta might be in the same price range as the Viking you're looking at (not sure, though). There are a lot of posts from happy Berta owners on Gardenweb.

Aga also has an extremely loyal following and seems like a great range. It's a bit less $$ than the Wolf DF, but not half he price.

I almost bought a Viking but was talked out of it by GW members (although there are many who love their Viking ranges). I ended up with the Wolf DF.

• amck2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Madeline6l6, for your response.

How long have you had your Wolf? Would you choose it again based on your experience with it?

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi amck,

I've had the Wolf for close to a year, got it sometime around Christmas last year.

I really love it. It's sturdy, feels well-built and substantial, and it's been totally reliable.

The only 2 drawbacks for me don't seem to bother most people. One is that there is not big-time super-BTU burner. The highest BTU output is 15,000 (actually, 5 of the 6 burners go to 15,000 BTUs).

The other drawback is that the small-diameter burner, which I use a lot to reheat single portions in a very small pot, is in the back, left corner. I'd prefer a triple-ring burner in the front that goes from 18,000 BTU all the way down to a small ring of flame.

I do love the variability of the burners, though, and the whole range of simmer settings is great. It's easy to clean, the controls are a pleasure to use, and it looks beautiful.

The oven is wonderful, and I love the blue enamel interior, although I'm more of a stovetop person than an oven person. The easy-glide rack (I forget the actual name) is awesome, and if I baked more I'd invest in another one.

I researched the Wolf heavily, and heard over and over again that they're extremely well-built and reliable. I'd definitely recommend it!

• amck2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Madeline, for your review. If the high cost were not an issue, I would probably have ordered the Wolf by now. I've considered holding out on my purchase till bonus time in early Spring. Except for Thanksgiving, I could probably make due with my countertop oven and other small appliances. I hate making such a big decision under pressure. It was far easier for me to buy a car than a stove. I care more, feature-wise, about my stove than my car.

While a status name doesn't mean a lot to me, I have to confess, the appearance of the stove does. The main floor of my home is open and the wall with the range is in full view from the LR/DR & sunroom. The look is not at the top of my list, but I hadn't taken it into consideration until I began envisioning my current contenders in the space.

One question to you, or others who own a Wolf w/ convection oven, is the fan noisy? My Dacor is really loud - like the sound older exhaust fans make. It goes on for quite a while after the oven is turned off and it's such a relief when it stops.