Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American ordering Bluestar from Costco Canada website

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 17:18

I'm pretty interested in the Bluestar, but the same range as offered on the Costco Canada website is about $1000 more from dealers in the U.S. Has anyone in the U.S tried ordering one of these from Costco? If so, how did you work it out? Was the financial saving worth the hassle? Winnipeg is about a 7 to 8 hour drive from us, so I suppose it might be doable to drive there. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American ordering Bluestar from Costco Canada website

Have you verified that the Winnepeg Costco actually has the Blue Stars in stock? A couple of months ago, I called the Candadian Costco nearest to me (Regina) and was told that Blue Stars were not stocked in the Regina, Saskatoon or Calgary warehouses, and had to be purchaed online. I was told that BS stoves were only stocked in the warehouses in BC and Ontario, that the stoves had to be purchased from Sotco online and delivered to a Canadian address. Have you verified the stove is carried in the Winnepeg warehouse?

o

Nope, JWvideo, I haen't taken this basic step. I suppose I should do this before I even try to think this through any further. It is probably an online-only product since I know our local Costcos don't have the NXR ranges on the floor.

o

Given that the Bluestar, if you got one via some Canadian address paying 12% sales tax, would be a grey market no warranty item back in the US, possibly with some waived US taxes on exports now reimposed, would not work too well.

Better strategy: have a look at what is sold and serviced in your area and see what is available from dealers and outlets who deal in floor model,refurbished and used items. Plus private sellers.

o

Grey market. No warranty. Guess that is the end of this idea. And, I'd also wondered about how much duty I'd have to pay since this is more than the duty free allowance for two people on a short trip.

Thanks for all the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here